Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Is there an easy way to get to Eureka, CA?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I may have to go to Eureka and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to get there. I can't find a train that goes there. The closest airport is Redding and that's still 3.5 hours away. Is there anything closer? Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:25 pm

Horizon fly from LAX direct to Arcata/Eureka (ACV).. 2 hour flight in a Dash-8....

United flies direct from SFO.. 1:20 in an EMB-120...

Much cheaper from LAX it seems...

AMTRAK run a Thruway Bus from the nearest station... Martinez ....but it's a SIX hour trip!!!!

ACV is apparently 15 miles north of Eureka.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
You could drive

It is a pretty drive up HWY 101
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Depends on where you start from and your budget. Fly or rent a car.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
ACV has flights not just from LAX & SFO...

Horizon Air flys from Los Angeles, Redding (Bombardier Q400)

United Express (SkyWest) flys from Crescent City, Sacramento, San Francisco
(EMB-120)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by new2japan
I may have to go to Eureka and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to get there. I can't find a train that goes there. The closest airport is Redding and that's still 3.5 hours away. Is there anything closer? Thanks.
ACV link below
Arcata/Eureka airport
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by new2japan
I may have to go to Eureka and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to get there. I can't find a train that goes there.
No surprise you "can't find a train that goes there," the last scheduled passenger train that went to Eureka did so on Northwestern Pacific Railroad....well prior to Amtrak in the 1960s. While a few excursions were run in the 70s, 80s; don't expect to see any more rail service to Eureka in the foreseeable future... Landslides, tunnel fires, and massive washouts in the Eel River canyon have put more than 25 miles of rail line out of service...with the price tag in the hundreds of millions of dollars to restore the line. (...it was originally built below the *50* year flood line in highly unstable geology...) The nearest Amtrak train service is probably Redding....although there is connecting Amtrak bus service from the East Bay Area.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:41 am

It depends on where you're coming from. I wouldn't do the drive if I were coming from LA. You can take Greyhound from SF if you don't want to drive, but I'd probably just fly.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I used to drive to Eureka from the east bay 3 x a year or so.

It is looong -- albeit beautiful -- pull.

The drive from Redding to Arcata/Eureka is also beautiful.

The UAX SFO-ACV flight is wonderful -- low altitude, gorgeous.

But it's usually very expensive. At certain times of year, you run a good chance (particularly at night) of having the plane return to SFO when the fog rolls in so deeply that there is no point in even starting an approach.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:51 pm

Angry Cheapest way to get to Eureka CA.

Flying into Eureka/Arcata California is very expensive. This is because United airlines united express owns Arcata airport and has no competition.
I have found several ways to get there without paying United Airlines/United express their excessive rates.
1. Fly into Redding or Sacramento airport rent a hertz car one way to Arcata airport which is 15 miles north of Eureka and is serviced by a local bus. If you fly into Sacramento look at the competitive rates from Southwest Airlines and you get to carry two 50 pound bags without an extra cost. If you fly into Redding the cost even with united airlines is a lot less than flying into Arcata. Renting a car from Hertz from either Sacramento or Redding airports one way to Arcata will cost about $136 (use your credit card to waive CDW. If you use American Express Card. They will cover your rental for up to 41 days as the Primary Insurer for a one time charge of $25 per rental)
2. Fly into San Francisco airport SFO or Oakland international Airport OAK.
2A. From San Francisco airport get bus number 292 to the Greyhound bus terminal at 200 Folsome St.( Temporary Transbay Terminal), San Francisco. The cost of the trip on the bus 292 is two dollars and this trip will take about an hour and a half at most.
2B. From Oakland international airport get on the number 73 bus to the Eastmont bus terminal then get on the and NL bus to the temporary transbay terminal in San Francisco which is also the location of the greyhound bus station. Figure 2 hours max, for this trip to the greyhound bus station.
3. The greyhound bus leaves San Francisco bus station at 3:15 PM and arrives in Eureka at 10 PM. The cost for an adult from San Francisco to Eureka is $38 if you purchase it on the web.
NOTE:-
Make sure that your flight arrives in San Francisco airport or Oakland international airport early enough to reach greyhound bus station in San Francisco using the buses from the airports before 3:15PM.
There is a Greyhound bus "Stop" closer to Oakland international airport but it is very small and may not be serviced by local buses.
Unfortunately you will not be able to enjoy the scenery of the redwoods going from San Francisco to Eureka because you will be traveling in the late evening in those areas. However if you do a return trip from Eureka to San Francisco you will get to enjoy that scenery.
I might mention that I have called the director of aviation for Arcata airport and told her that united airlines/United express has to be impacting the development of your Rica due to the prices they charge going into Arcata airport and that she should check with the car all people in Arcata airport and analyze the one-way traffic from other reports to Arcata my rental cars. There is also the possibility that the folks in Eureka may not want to develop the city for environmental reasons.
I hope this information can be useful to you from the point of view of reducing the cost of travel to Eureka. A one way airline ticket from SFO to Arcata will cost $300+ !!! That's over $1.00 per mile.

Last edited by byJoeS; Oct 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm Reason: Used "L" instead of "NL" to describe the bus number.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm

Another option up until the 2016 Amtrak AGR devaluation is to redeem 1500 AGR points as part of one of their "special routes" redemptions. You can get from as far as Las Vegas to Eureka for 1500 points. Now, I wouldn't be able to stand being on 2 5-6 hour bus rides split up by taking the San Joaquin, but for sheer affordability, its tough to beat. If you don't have the points you can buy them for as little as $46.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:56 am

OP says may have to go. Sounds like a mandatory trip for business or family. They researched flights but didn't get completed info. I'm not a huge fan of small planes but to get to Eureka I'd fly. Driving only if I had lots of time, as in a small vacation. Arcata is a lovely town. Eureka a tad less so.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Samoi
OP says may have to go. Sounds like a mandatory trip for business or family. They researched flights but didn't get completed info. I'm not a huge fan of small planes but to get to Eureka I'd fly. Driving only if I had lots of time, as in a small vacation. Arcata is a lovely town. Eureka a tad less so.
OP started this thread 5 years ago, so likely whatever specific need s/he had is long past. Me? I would always drive to Eureka or Arcata, but I live near San Francisco so it's not worth dealing with the schedule or cost of a flight for that route. If I were traveling from farther away, my preferences would be:

1) Fly to ACV if the costs and schedule look reasonable; or if not then
2) Fly to SFO, OAK, or SMF (whichever is best for cost and schedule), rent a car, and drive several hours.

I consider bus service to Arcata/Eureka a waste of time unless one is unable to drive.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
1) Fly to ACV if the costs and schedule look reasonable; or if not then
2) Fly to SFO, OAK, or SMF (whichever is best for cost and schedule), rent a car, and drive several hours.
Made that drive from the East Bay more than once when the SFO-ACV on UA was just too much.

Concur with your suggestions, but would add STS and RDD to the airport mix.

I consider bus service to Arcata/Eureka a waste of time unless one is unable to drive.
Concur.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Concur with your suggestions, but would add STS and RDD to the airport mix.
I left out STS and RDD as recommended alternatives because they're going to be puddle-jumper connections from a major airport and will still require a drive of at least 3 hours. At that point you're better off flying nonstop to a major airport (like SFO) and driving 5 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.