Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Favorite budget travel items?

Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Old May 6, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by l3arefoot
SIM card holder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought, but haven't tried it yet, the whatsapp sim card

http://www.whatsim.com/en
This is exactly what I've been looking for, although $20 seems a little steep. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper or DIY SIM holder?
Old May 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by State of Trance
This is exactly what I've been looking for, although $20 seems a little steep. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper or DIY SIM holder?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:08 am

Cool

My Bikini
My Flip-Flops
Favorite Book

there you go. I don't need much
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by l3arefoot
I have this one and it's full already
Is there a bigger version of this holder available anywhere?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eajusa
Of course getting as much info from the Internet as possible saves on guide books, etc.
It's also likely to be more up-to-date.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:41 pm

This isn't an "item," per se, but I've found the downloadable city guides from Tripadvisor to be incredibly useful. They're only useful in certain locations, though. Also, hard to beat a wallet with multiple bill pockets for sorting out currencies when you're traveling abroad.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Not technically an item but you can download the entirety of Wikitravel onto your iPhone for offline use, it's listed on the iOS store as Turdus: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turd...590503295?mt=8

This can help a lot - lots of money saving tips on restaurants, cheap sights, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by greggarious
Not technically an item but you can download the entirety of Wikitravel onto your iPhone for offline use, it's listed on the iOS store as Turdus: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turd...590503295?mt=8

This can help a lot - lots of money saving tips on restaurants, cheap sights, etc.
I tried that app a few years back and it didn't work - maybe its OK now. I'm gonna check it out again!

Similarly you can sign up for Amazon Kindle Prime for $10/mo and you have access to all the Lonely Planet books!

You can only DL ten books at a time but that should be enough for a trip. There's tons of other books as well. It's served me well on my trip thru 8-9 countries (especially as you can get the more local "city" books) in the past year, tho trying to wade thru the LP on a tablet or phone or Kindle isn't nearly as easy as a book.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
A space saving idea for liquids is to reuse hotel shampoo bottles and free sample containers, which are smaller than 3 ounce bottles sold for travel. I'm able to fit all my make up and toiletries both wet and dry into a one quart zip lock (311) bag this way.
Contact lens cases can hold one weeks' worth of foundation, face creams, ointments. Bonus -, since they are so small, they are not usually detected if you to put it in your ziplock.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I tried that app a few years back and it didn't work - maybe its OK now. I'm gonna check it out again!

Similarly you can sign up for Amazon Kindle Prime for $10/mo and you have access to all the Lonely Planet books!

You can only DL ten books at a time but that should be enough for a trip. There's tons of other books as well. It's served me well on my trip thru 8-9 countries (especially as you can get the more local "city" books) in the past year, tho trying to wade thru the LP on a tablet or phone or Kindle isn't nearly as easy as a book.
I also lump my t-mobile plan in under budget travel item. I pay 80/month, get worldwide access. Might not be fast but I can save a lot of money just by having the internet around.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:32 pm

Keep it going!

I've just started reading travel mag. Got some real recommendations here. Please keep them coming
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:26 am

My portable charger is probably the most important travel item to me.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
This is undoubtedly not for everybody, but I really enjoyed having knitting needles and yarn along for a JFK-NRT-BKK and return flight. It helped pass the time surprisingly well. Along with Kindle books and a new sudoko paperback, I was well amused. And I felt sort of productive. One 50" cowl and 1/2 of a scarf.

Romelle

PS - not a peep from TSA about the metal knitting needles.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:13 am

water filter and purification tablets
very useful during trekking!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:00 am

Yet another vote for nanika.net/metro

Don't leave home without it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.