Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here work in education?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Anyone here work in education?

I find that I cannot really take advantage of using miles unless they are at the peak time (in which case, they don't seem to really be great value). This is especially true for any international flights! Once in awhile I see that it's a decent deal to go say from LAX to NYC, but they often are not at ideal time or are not nonstop. It seems like getting mainly the trips for the least amount of miles is only true for people who can travel whenever. If you are like us, it just leaves the summer and a couple of weeks at winter. I regret having airline credit cards because it just isn't worth it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try to find destinations where those periods are low season

some airports have tons of flights, others a lot less flights
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I've done both those things lol.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
I am a teacher in rural Alaska. I manage to fly 50-60 plus segments a year, mostly on AS within the State of Alaska but a few flights on DL to the lower 48. I accumulate miles during the school year, but I am always looking ahead for a international vacation destination for the end of May. (our school year starts mid August -ends Mid May). The first couple of years i just accumulated mileage, but I have enough of a mileage bank that if I see a good deal using miles I can jump on it. I have many mileage cards that are good point/mileage earning cards, and I try to maximize their mileage earning potential to the fullest. I am only served by Alaska Airlines where I am located, and if we are lucky we get two flights a day. Any other airline I have to get to Anchorage or Seattle on a positioning flight. (lots of seasonal flight schedules into Anchorage/Fairbanks) Being as you are in San Diego (i used to live in Santee) I would think you would be able to find some good mileage deals from there or LAX (west coast). Use the calendars and be flexible. Look at alternate airports as well.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to answer question - many on FT are limited by school (all levels) vacations, including being students and having family/friends in education related industry

there might be threads about general strategies during american and european vacation periods

many on FT choose to not fly nonstops in order to fly certain F/J, whether award or paid
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
this is always an issue for us due to kids school schedules. I find Christmas/New Year breaks to be a tough time for redeeming miles but have managed to find ways to use points for international travel during the past 10+ years (summers).

The key things are really timing and flexibility. I usually start looking out for availability 6-9 months out and am open to flying into/out of nearby airports etc. For example, we've flown out of Vancouver instead of Seattle a few times to get to Europe as it seems to have better availability sometimes. And we are generally open to finding a certain length trip during the entire summer vs fixating on specific dates we want to travel on. I'm also open to using points from different airlines to put together a trip or even paying for part of the trip. I had a hard time finding a roundtrip to Toronto this summer on points, but after some search, managed to put together an AA points trip to Buffalo and a one way on UA points to Toronto and a paid connecting flight via Vancouver on AC for the return.

For Christmas break, if you can find a way to get away a day or two before/after school break, that can definitely make a big difference (I know many schools impose time off restrictions on staff during the week before/after breaks, so that may not be an option)

So there are definitely oppotunties to use the points even within the school break limitations if you plan ahead and keep looking.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm married to a teacher. While it can be hard to get award flights during spring break, we always manage to get something (even if it isn't ideal in terms of connections). Plus, we have two full months in the summer to travel. That's alot more flexibility than most people have. You know when your vacation is, so start planning a few months ahead. If you're picky and only want non-stop flights during peak times, get a card that uses the points to pay for any flight instead of an airline specific program that only has certain flights available. It's generally not as good value-wise but is more flexible.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: QF, HH
I feel you! At the moment, I'm currently studying to be a secondary teacher here in Australia and the tertiary holidays are a wide enough gap in which to travel. Mostly mid November through till late February, and then late June through till late July. However, I realise that in the future, once I'm working part or even full time post study, things won't be so flexible.

Perhaps we'll just have to have ourselves a teacher FT DO somewheres, combining travel, lesson planning and a little cross-marking!

...actually that sounds like a neat idea. Count me in, one day...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Why would being an educator provide any more of a difficult travel schedule than being a parent?
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Nope, it's just you.Kidding.

Send my parents, mother is a high school teacher, on three trips in 4 years (2 miles 1 cash). Sometimes it required the use of a personal/vacation day(s) to make using miles practical. Planning & searching far enough ahead makes it possible.

The miles game just might not be for you. Look into good cash back programs. Depending on where you live I find the Discover It card & Citi Double Cash Back cards to be quite nice with their promos. Got a crazy 10% cash back offer at home depot when a friend needed to upgrade his kitchen appliances. Saved him a bundle and I got taken out to a really nice dinner as a thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:52 pm

Yes, I work in an academic library. I'm not allowed to take extended vacation time during the academic year. Earliest I can get away is late May and I must be back by late August. I always feel a little cheated that the best fares are at times when I can't go.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I am a HS teacher. It's tough using miles during peak times. I usually do my international trips in J in cash. I scan the premium fare deals daily, and I have found some awesome fares. I am finally getting miles, so I am using them for re-positioning trips to start international trips or for second flights once I am there. For example, I am using cash to fly to FRA next summer (cheap AC J fare). Using miles to get to EWR to start the trip. I am looking at miles to get from FRA to somewhere. I found a great redemption to Cape Town, but the taxes and fees are more than I want to pay.

It is what it is. As a teacher, I get tons of time off to travel. More than I ever used to have before I taught. It just isn't the cheapest with the most available redemptions. It seems to balance out for me. You just have to be smarter. But you also have a lot more time to deal with to re-position yourself, or take longer routings, because you aren't cramming it all into that one week vacation.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I found a great redemption to Cape Town, but the taxes and fees are more than I want to pay.
Let me guess, BA via AA award
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Could also be BA via BA
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
You must be clairvoyant.

Actually, there was an even better IB via AA award, but STILL big fees.

And by 'good fare' I mean 'available and somewhere I wanted to go with the miles I had'. I set the bar low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.