Reload this Page >

Helsinki airport "sleeping pod"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helsinki airport "sleeping pod"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:03 pm

Thanks very much. Both the pod and non-pod answers are very interesting and informative.

The pod sounds like a good idea, but overpriced. Though, I would really like to sleep in one. I've slept in a Japanese capsule hotel, and that was an interesting experience. When I saw this thread I was guessing it would be a similar setup, but the pods look even more unusual.

For non-pod sleeping, I haven't slept in an airport. I have been very curious as to how people managed valuables. I see the point about passports. I know someone who lost their passport overseas. It took most of a day and £90 to get documents to continue travel. My main phone is a real cheap-*ss phone. My previous Sony was utter rubbish so I just bought a really cheap no-brand Chinese phone from ebay. It's great. But, it looks like complete rubbish and I don't feel the stress about it being stolen that I would do if it was more expensive. But, I definitely wouldn't want my passport stolen. When I have slept in a hostel room, I've kept my trousers on with my passport in my pocket. But in an open airport, I'd be even more concerned about theft.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
...I have been very curious as to how people managed valuables....
For passport, credit cards, larger amount of cash and other such valuables, I use one of those neck safe bags. Tucked inside. The plan is that if all luggage/backpacks/handbags are stolen, within the neck safe is still enough to get me home. And if somebody is getting at the neck safe, I have far bigger troubles.

It looks a little lumpy, and isn't as convenient to pull out as a wallet, but has a slight safety edge.

The youth hostels usually have lockers to rent. Sometimes even airports have them, although not very often. You can usually research on their web sites to determine availability.

There are pods at several airports now, and it seems more are coming.

Another line of defense is to simply look like you don't have anything worth stealing. Your cheap phone is a good start. Then no expensive clothes, flash jewelry, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
For passport, credit cards, larger amount of cash and other such valuables, I use one of those neck safe bags. Tucked inside. The plan is that if all luggage/backpacks/handbags are stolen, within the neck safe is still enough to get me home. And if somebody is getting at the neck safe, I have far bigger troubles.

It looks a little lumpy, and isn't as convenient to pull out as a wallet, but has a slight safety edge.
Something like this?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Pacsafe_C...FeaV7QodJ0YJxw

The youth hostels usually have lockers to rent. Sometimes even airports have them, although not very often. You can usually research on their web sites to determine availability.

There are pods at several airports now, and it seems more are coming.

Another line of defense is to simply look like you don't have anything worth stealing. Your cheap phone is a good start. Then no expensive clothes, flash jewelry, etc.
I would say that I definitely look like I have nothing worth stealing

Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Something like this?
You've got the look right.

For the neck safe, a much older version of THIS.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
You've got the look right.

For the neck safe, a much older version of THIS.
I'm buying one for my next overseas trip!

EDIT: Interesting. You know of Rick Steves. I'm a big fan of his travel documentaries.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

EDIT: Interesting. You know of Rick Steves. I'm a big fan of his travel documentaries.
I like his travel documentaries too.

I've used Rick Steves travel bags for years. A roller carry-on when I want to look slightly more respectable, or an Appenzell Day Pack as a smallish backpack when hiking or just doing lots more walking cobblestones and metro stairs. Either coupled with his smaller Civita shoulder bag.

His books are fun to read for location ideas, but for actual budget travel details I usually prefer Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. Though his walking tours fit in the budget idea.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
I disagree about the neck bag. I think a thief with a knife could get it. I prefer a belt bag, where my valuables are just outside my underwear underneath my pants.

Romelle talks about accessing her bag in public, and I think that isn't the right way to use them. I don't access my bag in public, I have a few hundred dollars in my wallet and just use that. Who knows who might become interested in me if I am revealing secret stashes in public?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by bhomburg
no, they close at midnight and reopen at 5:30 (Schengen) or 6:00 (non-Schengen and the reserved-for-top-tier-FF-members Premium lounge).
HEL as no flights departing between 23:55 and 5:35.
I have one of these GoSleep pods booked as my flight is at 7am.

However, I won't be able to get to the airport till gone midnight - will that mean I won't be able to clear security and get to it?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raphph
I have one of these GoSleep pods booked as my flight is at 7am.

However, I won't be able to get to the airport till gone midnight - will that mean I won't be able to clear security and get to it?
I searched for a while, but couldn't find anything for sure. The site "Sleeping at the Airport" did say the airport was open 24 hours. I think you will need to check directly with the airport, or maybe the GoSleep place or the airline you are flying. The poster you quoted seemed very sure.

Elsewhere somebody posted about renting a car at the airport, and then sleeping in that for the night. Never moving it from the car rental parking lot. I keep that in the back of my mind for a desperation situation.

Last edited by Romelle; Feb 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old May 22, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hello
I was wondering if anyone had a recent experience about the pods or can help with a question. Is there a minimum time/price for a night time rental, or you can just choose how many hours you need?
Old May 23, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
Hello
I was wondering if anyone had a recent experience about the pods or can help with a question. Is there a minimum time/price for a night time rental, or you can just choose how many hours you need?
The link in the #1 post still works. Booking is from 2100 (9pm) until noon the next day. I don't know how they handle the noon to 2100 now, but when I was there they were just letting people use the pods for free on a first-come basis.

I did send them a different question via the site, and they did respond.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thank you
In the end I managed to find a direct email address and this was the response about the prices

Night rates (9pm-6am):
1) True GoSleeper for 49€ which allows you to stay in Lounge until 12pm (includes free pillow and blanket rental)
2) Sleepy Traveller for 5 hours 39,90€ (includes free pillow and blanket rental)
3) Light Snooze for 3 hours 22,50€ (pillow & blanket rental available at extra cost)
*In case of booking True GoSleeper for 2 and more people, special discount rate will apply! Kids until 6 years old are allowed to stay free of charge when using existing Sleeping Pod.

Day rates: (6am-1pm) with same day check-in and check-out (until 9pm)
1) 3 hours 12€
2) 4 hours 15.50€
3) Premium package for daytime 20€
(Pillow & Blanket rent available at extra cost 3€/per item)
Old May 23, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks for the update Lefly ^

Those seem like rather reasonable rates given how expensive Scandinavia is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.