Wiki Posts
Search

Unnecessary Stopover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Unnecessary Stopover

Hey

I'm looking at booking a Christmas flight, but they are (shocking nobody) incredibly expensive.

I have, however, found one insanely cheap option (almost 40% less than the next closest choice). I am based in London, for context.

It involves flying from Brussels, which is fine. However, on the way back, there are two stops, including the last one which is 13 hours in Paris. Obviously, for that time, I am far better just flying home from Paris (rather than waiting 13 hours for a flight to Brussels!). However, will it be possible to collect my suitcase in Paris, as it is technically a connecting ticket?

Unfortunately, booking a multi-city ticket increased the price by £200, hence not doing that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Depends on the airline policy. Some won't allow checking out bags to prevent skipping remaining legs of the trip.

Assuming a daytime layover, 13 hours in Paris isn't that bad if you are willing to go spend the day outside the airport.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Depends on the airline policy. Some won't allow checking out bags to prevent skipping remaining legs of the trip.

Assuming a daytime layover, 13 hours in Paris isn't that bad if you are willing to go spend the day outside the airport.
I actually thought the same regarding 13 hours in Paris! Then I realised I would arrive in Paris at 8:00pm, and leave at 9:00am - suddenly it wasn't so appealing.

It isn't actually the same airline - the last leg is on a separate airline (but not a self-transfer) - which makes it a little more confusin (which policy would I follow??).

Have also thought about not carrying hold luggage - an inconvenience, but it is only a 10 day trip.

EDIT: Just made the discovery that the final 'leg' is CDG to ZYR - turns out ZYR is actually a train station. This increases my hopes that I could get my case back in Paris without too much issue... might be missing something, though.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Recondite
I actually thought the same regarding 13 hours in Paris! Then I realised I would arrive in Paris at 8:00pm, and leave at 9:00am - suddenly it wasn't so appealing.

It isn't actually the same airline - the last leg is on a separate airline (but not a self-transfer) - which makes it a little more confusin (which policy would I follow??).

Have also thought about not carrying hold luggage - an inconvenience, but it is only a 10 day trip.

EDIT: Just made the discovery that the final 'leg' is CDG to ZYR - turns out ZYR is actually a train station. This increases my hopes that I could get my case back in Paris without too much issue... might be missing something, though.
You haven't provided much detail and it's a little confusing - you state being London based but describe CDG-ZYR as being the last leg. Is BRU or London your final destination on the return leg?

Given the ZYR bit, presumably this would be on an AF Air&Rail ticket? If so their website seems to indicate you'd have to pick up your checked luggage at CDG

Flight arriving at Paris-Charles de Gaulle
Please collect your baggage at the baggage carousel upon arrival at Paris-Charles de Gaulle. You receive priority baggage delivery. Next, proceed to the AIR&RAIL ticket office located on level 2 of the TGV station at least 20 minutes before departure to collect your train ticket.
http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common..._airfrance.htm

If your flight into CDG arrives at 8:00 PM, are there any realistic flight options left that night? Keeping in mind you'd have a separate ticket so if your inbound to CDG was late and you missed your separate flight to (LON, BRU?) you'd be out of luck.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
You haven't provided much detail and it's a little confusing - you state being London based but describe CDG-ZYR as being the last leg. Is BRU or London your final destination on the return leg?

Given the ZYR bit, presumably this would be on an AF Air&Rail ticket? If so their website seems to indicate you'd have to pick up your checked luggage at CDG

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common..._airfrance.htm

If your flight into CDG arrives at 8:00 PM, are there any realistic flight options left that night? Keeping in mind you'd have a separate ticket so if your inbound to CDG was late and you missed your separate flight to (LON, BRU?) you'd be out of luck.
Yes it is an Air&Rail ticket - thanks for the baggage info, hadn't seen that when I checked. That sorts my problem!

I could get a bus, flight or train back to London - even a bus would be faster than waiting in an airport for 13 hours. London is my final destination, but flights to Chennai from London for Christmas come in at an absolute minimum of £560 (£680 if I fly Etihad, like I normally would...). This flight is £200 cheaper than even the cheapest London option.

Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Sounds like a lot of hassle to save just £200. Have you factored in positioning costs?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, what will it cost you to get from London to BRU and then from CDG back to London?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Sounds like a lot of hassle to save just £200. Have you factored in positioning costs?
Right now, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, next year I'll be back into being a student for 8 months.. when I would rather not see my income drain if possible..

There is a reason I posted in "Budget Travel" for this particular conversation

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, what will it cost you to get from London to BRU and then from CDG back to London?
£50 maximum (if I book prior to going back to being a student and getting corporate discounts..).

As I say, if I was preparing to fly now, where I have a decent income I wouldn't mind. On the other hand, assuming I book now the actual cost will be sunken anyway.

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 15, 2017 at 8:35 am Reason: back to back posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.