Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

New to budget travel

New to budget travel

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

New to budget travel

hello all!
April I'm getting married and I found a great deal to Rome flying out of NYC for our honeymoon. Now here is the question that I have. The flight takes off in NYC then it has a layover in Charlotte NC (I live in North Carolina) is it possible to just skip the flight to NYC and just meet it in NC?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Generally, no. If you skip the first leg, the rest of your ticket will be cancelled. But who knows, someone on here may know a way around that. You should let us know what airline as that may get better answers. How much more expensive is it to buy a ticket from Charlotte to Rome on the same flight?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:12 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk and congratulations on your upcoming marriage. As Low Roller has said, your ticket will auto cancel if you skip a segment. There is no way around it. It's good that you asked before buying the ticket.

Originally Posted by Jadeshn
hello all!
April I'm getting married and I found a great deal to Rome flying out of NYC for our honeymoon. Now here is the question that I have. The flight takes off in NYC then it has a layover in Charlotte NC (I live in North Carolina) is it possible to just skip the flight to NYC and just meet it in NC?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Generally, no. If you skip the first leg, the rest of your ticket will be cancelled. But who knows, someone on here may know a way around that. You should let us know what airline as that may get better answers. How much more expensive is it to buy a ticket from Charlotte to Rome on the same flight?
The flight leaving out of NYC was 346 if I booked out of CLT it jumped up to 800
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Yeah, unfortunately this doesn't work.

It is sometimes possible to throw out the *last* leg of a return flight on your way home -- if and only if you haven't checked in any luggage, and with the understanding that connection points may change and the airline is only responsible for getting you to your final destination. This isn't recommended but it sometimes is done on a gamble.

But the first leg? Not a chance.

Pro tip: Try looking for alternative airports to fly into in Europe instead. Train travel, as well as low-cost carrier plane travel, is very cheap and easy in Europe once you're on that side.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The flight leaving out of NYC was 346 if I booked out of CLT it jumped up to 800
Ouch, that's quite a difference
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Ouch, that's quite a difference
Indeed @:-)

Some call it "hub penalty," others "nonstop premium."

Posters report buying cheap one way ticket to origin, and if you "connect" via ATL on the way back, probably won't have to fly all the way to NYC.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by segacs

It is sometimes possible to throw out the *last* leg of a return flight on your way home -- if and only if you haven't checked in any luggage, and with the understanding that connection points may change and the airline is only responsible for getting you to your final destination. This isn't recommended but it sometimes is done on a gamble.

Pro tip: Try looking for alternative airports to fly into in Europe instead. Train travel, as well as low-cost carrier plane travel, is very cheap and easy in Europe once you're on that side.
ok thanks I will do that!!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:44 am

If you decide to try European trains, check services using Trainline EU.

Because each national train company runs its own services it can be difficult to construct the best fare but these guys make it as easy as possible.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:15 pm

This is what we did recently...skipped the last leg and all went smoothly. We also booked cheap $30 frontier tickets to get to the initial location. Total cost to get to and from Europe was @ $305.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Feb 14, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Try RDU or GSO if you wanted to fly out of NC - Since the AA/US deal, CLT has become crazy expensive. Case and point today - CLT to Paris is $1,300 in April, $411 out of RDU (2 hour drive). Funny thing, the RDU to Paris connects in CLT!

Good luck & enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jpschoubert
Case and point today - CLT to Paris is $1,300 in April, $411 out of RDU (2 hour drive). Funny thing, the RDU to Paris connects in CLT!
Hub Penalty, aka nonstop Premium.

Someone in UA forum just asked if fares for 4th of July would come down from current $2,800 from Houston (UA and Star Alliance hub) to Munich (LH and Star Alliance hub).

To OP, you will have to clear Immigration in CLT, and folks have been known to take a VERY long time to look for next flight and just plain miss it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.