Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

When do budget airline prices start to rise

Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Garuda, Thai, QantasSA

New to this forum and spending a considerable amount of time in Europe during 2017, getting around using budget airlines. Since I started researching the trip the prices of the flights we're interested in have remained stable. We start travelling in June and I'm wondering if advice can be offered on the best time to book so as to miss price increases. Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Omzat
New to this forum and spending a considerable amount of time in Europe during 2017, getting around using budget airlines. Since I started researching the trip the prices of the flights we're interested in have remained stable. We start travelling in June and I'm wondering if advice can be offered on the best time to book so as to miss price increases. Thanks.
Some good tips on the MoneySavingExpert.com site
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Garuda, Thai, QantasSA
Thanks - really interesting site.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:33 am

Prices change according to demand for the flight. Pick a Saturday in August from England to Malaga and prices will rise more rapidly than booking the same flight on a Wednesday in January because there is more demand for the former
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
July and August are the most expensive months. June and September are back to normal pricing. So maybe try to fly less in July and August, how long will you be staying?

As for when to book, generally I book about 2 months in advance for budget carriers, sometimes you can get away with a few weeks, but again in July and Augst the latter is going to be difficult.

Do you have luggage with you that needs to be checked? Then even flying around on budget airlines won't be very cheap at all.

I'd suggest to fly only when necessary, and take the train or bus between cities that are closer to each other. For example, you could go from london to paris by train, then on to brussels and amsterdam by train, then amsterdam to berlin by train etc. The bus is often dirt cheap, but most people find trains more comfortable than busses.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Here in the US, Southwest prices go up across the board about one month prior to your travel date. I am not familiar with European LLCs, but they may use a similar pricing model.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Here in the US, Southwest prices go up across the board about one month prior to your travel date. I am not familiar with European LLCs, but they may use a similar pricing model.
Nah, you really can't say such a rule for carriers such as RyanAir and WizzAir. Often even departure in a few week's time is at dirt cheap prices. It's all about supply and demand, and whether there happens to be a sale or not.

For example, I find a flight Brussels CLR - Timisoara, Romania for only 3 euros one way (yes, three.) which departs next week on tuesday 13th december.

Real last minutes (as in, depart tomorrow), though, are rarely so cheap. They generally want to make money off of last-minute business travellers, people with family emergencies etc.

But you can be certain that high-demand routes in summer time, you will never find at cheap prices on short notice.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:20 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Nah, you really can't say such a rule for carriers such as RyanAir and WizzAir. Often even departure in a few week's time is at dirt cheap prices. It's all about supply and demand, and whether there happens to be a sale or not.
It's my understanding that EU is quite a bit different from US LCCs.

And while the Southwest effect is still very much in place, I for one do not consider WN as a discount carrier, as they are OFTEN more expensive than traditional carriers - where they can save you money is with no baggage fees and free flight changes (if original fare is available).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Don't forget to calculate the total price for your budget flight, not just the fare. Most budget airlines in Europe fly out of secondary airports well outside major city centres, so factor in transportation to and from the airports, too, as well as the extra time this will take. Also, European budget airline tickets are bare-bones, so don't forget to factor in additional fees for baggage, seats, even paying with a credit card.

YMMV but I've found that sometimes trains -- while seemingly more expensive at first glance -- can be better value.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
You can follow fare evoluation patterns by registering on Google flights and receiving an email when fares go up or go down, for different particular trips you have chosen to follow. You can register now and see if and when the fares change.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
It's my understanding that EU is quite a bit different from US LCCs.

And while the Southwest effect is still very much in place, I for one do not consider WN as a discount carrier, as they are OFTEN more expensive than traditional carriers - where they can save you money is with no baggage fees and free flight changes (if original fare is available).
It depends very much on the route and the time of the year.

Yes LCCs can cost more money if they land far outside the city center and have baggage fees. That's why for a trip around europe, I'd advise to minimize flying and maximize using the train. You can buy an InterRail train pass, for example, and just train all around europe. If you started, for example, in London, you could go to amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm etc. all by train. Then you could take one LCC flight to, for example, spain, or Rome, or Greece, or eastern europe or wherever you need to go.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If you do pursue the train travel route, you will find a ton of really valuable information in www.seat61.com.

In many cases, European trains arrive and depart right in the city, rather than the long trek to an airport. Plus no tricky luggage and other restrictions. Plus you actually get to see more country, rather than just clouds. Plus you get to get up and walk around more during the trip.

There even are trains specifically scheduled to work well as an overnight bed. Thus saving the cost of a hotel, and getting your body moved while you sleep.

And don't forget the bus systems. Lots of other good lines, but Flixbus can have some amazing rates. And the buses can have the same advantages as the trains.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
You can buy an InterRail train pass, for example, and just train all around europe.
Those aren't the deal they used to be. Often cheaper to buy individual trips. OK, usually.

Originally Posted by Romelle

There even are trains specifically scheduled to work well as an overnight bed. Thus saving the cost of a hotel, and getting your body moved while you sleep.

And don't forget the bus systems. Lots of other good lines, but Flixbus can have some amazing rates. And the buses can have the same advantages as the trains.
Buses tend to be the cheapest form, though not as comfortable as train, but about equal to crammed planes. But two by two seating, so no middle seats on buses ^

And as per European Rail Forum, a lot of overnight trains have been taken off schedule, possibly due to competition from LCCs.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:49 pm

The bus is by far the cheapest option, yes, and it's also very flexible (often you can change your itinerary on the same day). However long bus rides aren't deemed very comfortable by most people. It would be good for a budget vacation but anything above that I'd take the train preferably.

Whether the interrail is a good deal depends entirely on how much you'll be travelling around, of course. And also on where you are taking the train; in Scandinavia, Germany etc. the train is very expensive, while in eastern europe it's generally quite cheap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.