Alaska to Europe as cheap as possible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Europe as cheap as possible

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would costs be lower if you left from Canada, perhaps YVR? You'd need a separate ticket from Alaska or ground transportation.

Norwegian has some good TATL fares.

DUB TATL fares typically are cheap, but I don't know whether their dog rules are similar
to those of England.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Weather in Alaska in December?

Cycling in Alaska in December? That sounds painful. If you don't already have shipping boxes for your bikes then you might want to look in to prearranging them. There is an REI store in Fairbanks and a handful of adventure shops that might be able to get what you need but you certainly won't find the cycling support infrastructure that is enjoyed in other parts of the world.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Cycling in Alaska in December?
Thanks for pointing that out, somehow I missed it

Work took me to Fairbanks the week between Christmas and New Year, and the HIGH temperature was -20 degreez.

There was snow everywhere, and sun was out only about 5 hours each day.

I'm sure it's warmer along the coast, but days will be short.

Maybe rethink Alaska in December on bicycles @:-)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OrangeCrow
Anyway, if I would buy the miles with 40% bonus offer, I would need 40K miles and that would cost around 850USD plus the dog 400usd (100usd per each AS segment plus 200usd for TATL segment), plus the bikes 450usd (300usd for TATL segment and 150usd for FAI-PDX segment), so a total of 1700USD.
If you use AS miles for an award ticket and check your bikes through from FAI to Germany, are you sure that you'd have to pay a bike fee for each leg?

If you end up flying into FRA, you might want to look into the cost of a one-way car rental from FRA to BER, instead of flying the final leg.

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 27, 2016 at 10:28 am Reason: Clean up quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Cycling in Alaska in December? That sounds painful. If you don't already have shipping boxes for your bikes then you might want to look in to prearranging them. There is an REI store in Fairbanks and a handful of adventure shops that might be able to get what you need but you certainly won't find the cycling support infrastructure that is enjoyed in other parts of the world.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Thanks for pointing that out, somehow I missed it

Work took me to Fairbanks the week between Christmas and New Year, and the HIGH temperature was -20 degreez.

There was snow everywhere, and sun was out only about 5 hours each day.

I'm sure it's warmer along the coast, but days will be short.

Maybe rethink Alaska in December on bicycles @:-)
I was thinking along the same lines. The termination dust is already on the mountains around Anchorage - meaning the snow will be down in the bowl within a few weeks. And I think Fairbanks is supposed to get snow today - with the current temp below freezing. By December, cycling will be quite uncomfortable if not impossible on icy roads.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guv1976
"Anyway, if I would buy the miles with 40% bonus offer, I would need 40K miles and that would cost around 850USD plus the dog 400usd (100usd per each AS segment plus 200usd for TATL segment), plus the bikes 450usd (300usd for TATL segment and 150usd for FAI-PDX segment), so a total of 1700USD."

If you use AS miles for an award ticket and check your bikes through from FAI to Germany, are you sure that you'd have to pay a bike fee for each leg?

If you end up flying into FRA, you might want to look into the cost of a one-way car rental from FRA to BER, instead of flying the final leg.
Or take the train. There's a station right in FRA.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
By December, cycling will be quite uncomfortable if not impossible on icy roads.
Indeed. My coworker who went a couple of weeks after me got permission to NOT rent a car, but rather took taxis to the client, hotel and airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.