Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shoestring RTW trip guidance please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb shoestring RTW trip guidance please

In the middle of a RTW trip and thought I would get your thoughts how to do it as cheap as possible.

As you can see, I have already done the first two locations and the prices I estimated are the prices I paid.

I want to buy the Yap ticket today (in a few hours) but I thought I would hold out to see if there is anything cheaper than $250. The real killer though is going from Yap to Truuk with the ticket cost being $420! I can’t find anything cheaper but I’m still hoping for some magic…

1. HKG (Hong Kong) – MNL (Manila): $90 DONE

2. MNL – GUM (Guam) (stop ROR [Palau]): ~$273 DONE

3. ROR – YAP (Yap): $250

4. YAP – TKK (Truuk): $420

5. TKK – PNI (Pohnpei): $144

6. PNI – KSA (Kosrae): $118

7. KSA – MAJ (Marshall Islands): $113

8. MAJ – TRW (Kiribati): $121

9. TRW – NAN (Nadi, Fiji): ~$355

10. NAN – TBU (Nuku’alofa, Tonga) : ~$234

11. TBU – APW (Apia, Samoa) : ~$264

12. APW – AKL (Auckland) : ~$179

13. AKL – PPT (Tahiti): ~$700
I’m trying to find a way to get from Samoa to Tahiti cheaply or from Tonga but no luck yet. Any thoughts?

14. AKL – OOL (Gold Coast): $109

15. OOL – KUL (Kuala Lumpur): $160

16. KUL – VTE (Vientianne, Laos): $140 RT

17. KUL – DAC (Dhaka): $113

18. DAC – CCU (Calcutta): $85

19. CCU – COL (Colombo): $220

20. COL – KUL: $100

21. KUL - LHE: $203
This may not work if I can’t get a visa on the road as a US citizen. This particular country is such a pain to get a visa for on the road (at least for Americans).

22. LHE – DXB (Dubai): $325

23. DXB - BND: $179 RT
This may not happen as well since Americans need a tour but there may be a way around this. I’m still waiting for this one.

24. DXB – EBL (Erbil, Iraq): $171
If I can make it work, Afghanistan (Kabul maybe) will be after here.

25. EBL – IST (Istanbul): $120

26. IST – TLV (Tel Aviv): $54

27. IST – ADD (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia): $199

28. ADD – NBO (Nairobi, Kenya): $193

29. NBO - DAR (Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania): $30 ...

30. DAR – JNB (Johanesburg): $50

31. JNB – LAD (Luanda, Angola): $230
Yet another pain in the butt visa. I’ll go if I can get a visa.

32. LAD – LOS (Lagos, Nigeria): $457 arikair

33. LOS – CAI (Cairo, Egypt): $403

34. CAI – CMN (Casablanca, Morocco): $335

35. CMN – FCO (Rome): $

This is as far as I have gotten. But I will head north to Europe after this point and then to South America.

Thoughts so far?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by seekout
The real killer though is going from Yap to Truuk with the ticket cost being $420! I can’t find anything cheaper but I’m still hoping for some magic…
You can hope all you want, but I'm not sure anyone but UA flies this route. With no competition .....

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

And keep us posted on your RTW @:-)

Oh, and good luck with LOS Bring lots of ca$h for bribes from what I've read.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome, EmailKid. If you see any legs that you have tips on please please share.

I don't know if the prices I have researched are the cheapest available for the selected route.

PS - I'm in Palau currently. Very expensive here.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if the prices I have researched are the cheapest available for the selected route.
Cheapest for any date in the long future and cheapest to purchase X days head of the date range you want to fly are very different things.
Can cost a lot of $$$ to go cheap.

Prices trans Tasman (Au-NZ) I am very familiar with. AKL – OOL (Gold Coast) $109 may be possible some time, but will be seat only. No baggage or food or in flight entertainment. May be unsociable departure and/or arrival times. Otherwise will be closer to NZ$200. For the 2015-16 summer China Airlines were consistently the cheapest trans Tasman
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Yes, I don't need food or entertainment since I sleep the entire time. I only have a backpack (laptop) and a 7kg duffel bag (carry-on) so I don't need a baggage allowance as well.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only have a backpack (laptop) and a 7kg duffel bag (carry-on) so I don't need a baggage allowance as well.
On some low cost carrier that's 1 item to much. And too much weight.
I have seen people refused travel on Jetstar for that
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Jetstar passengers can bring 7kg of carry-on baggage for free on every flight (14kg in business class).
Economy passengers can bring:
  • 1 carry-on bag per person, plus
  • 1 small personal item
with a combined weight of no more than 7kg.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/ar...bring-on-board

I can get rid of more things to bring it under 7kg if they are strict, no problem. The two bags should be fine.

Edit:
I tried to post this in the "Flytalk Cares" forum but it won't let me for some reason but my bank called about 30 minutes ago to say that they want to shut my card down for card fraud. Someone has my number and tried to process two payments from different locations in the United States.

Someone either really has my number or I think it is some sort of mistake. The two payments were for a total of about .50 cents. The only purchase that small that I made recently was from the App store and it was .99 cents. I don't remember seeing that purchase in the transaction history earlier via the mobile app of my bank. What a sudden and unpleasant situation to suddenly be in.

My thoughts on a solution is leave the card open but just call them right before I make every purchase. They want to close the card but I can't allow that to happen since I won't be in a particular location long enough to actually receive the card. Also, I have no address here or where I'm going.

Last edited by seekout; Aug 31, 2016 at 2:41 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/ar...bring-on-board

I can get rid of more things to bring it under 7kg if they are strict, no problem. The two bags should be fine.
That is not what I have witnessed on JQ. A backpack is not a "personal item" Its a "bag" You can travel with one, not two. But at times JQ check in can be liberal.

I travel on JQ international every month. Every time I see people sent to the ticketing desk to pay for checked baggage. Only once were the police involved, when a 20 something European backpacker tried to go cheap and argued. That individual did not fly.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: DL DM
TLV will be a pain after visiting all those Asian/ME countries.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:39 am
Original Poster

@Mod, the post I just wrote about my bank reporting fraud on my debit card disappeared. What happened?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Mod, the post I just wrote about my bank reporting fraud on my debit card disappeared. What happened?
As a newbie a post with a link will be vetted.
After a moderator has reviewed it will reappear. That may be some away hours due to time zones and volunteer unpaid moderators having a normal life.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 31, 2016 at 3:46 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Ah ok, that explains it then. It automatically disappeared without any user intervention?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:21 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Ah ok, that explains it then. It automatically disappeared without any user intervention?
Correct. I'm assuming you are at the other end of the world and posting while I sleep @:-)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As a newbie a post with a link will be vetted.
After a moderator has reviewed it will reappear. That may be some away hours due to time zones and volunteer unpaid moderators having a normal life.
Thank you for an excellent explanation ^
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:38 pm
Used to be highman123

For the Africa segments (the non Fastjet segments) I would strongly suggest a United award for 35k in Economy. It gives you 4 cities and you save yourself the outrageous fares there.

LOS is a though and expensive visa (and so is LAD). While LOS is cheap using points you can't use hotel points in LAD, which makes it extremely expensive once there.

The Middle East legs are often cheaper when you look in DWC (flyDubai) and SHJ (AirArabia). Your tickets seem expensive. Also consider using Etihad Guest and Avios for those short legs.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You can hope all you want, but I'm not sure anyone but UA flies this route. With no competition .....
Yes, that’s probably correct. I thought I would uncover a charter flight or two not listed online but I never found one. I have bought the ticket already despite the fraud fiasco yesterday (what a headache!).

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Oh, and good luck with LOS Bring lots of ca$h for bribes from what I've read.
I haven’t heard anything like that from my friend who lives there...

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Prices trans Tasman (Au-NZ) I am very familiar with. AKL – OOL (Gold Coast) $109 may be possible some time
Actually, this is a pretty set price (incl. tax etc.). I don’t know what “trans Tasman” means but China Airlines does not fly this route.

Originally Posted by greycap7
TLV will be a pain after visiting all those Asian/ME countries.
Why?

Originally Posted by MightyTravels
For the Africa segments (the non Fastjet segments) I would strongly suggest a United award for 35k in Economy. It gives you 4 cities and you save yourself the outrageous fares there.
I have been traveling since January and I still don’t belong to any frequent flyer programs. I was going to try it out but I don’t like having that on my mind when I search out cheap flights. I assume you are referring to 35K in frequent flier miles (please correct me if I’m wrong though). But if you mean $3500 USD then the prices I researched are much cheaper.

LOS is a though and expensive visa (and so is LAD). While LOS is cheap using points you can't use hotel points in LAD, which makes it extremely expensive once there.
Yes, I’ve seen that it can be a pricey visa. I’m going to see if I can get around it though.

LAD is another story altogether. I couldn’t even figure out how to go about getting a visa when I was in Hong Kong last month. That’s going to be a pain in the butt but hopefully I will go totally local and cut down on costs.

The Middle East legs are often cheaper when you look in DWC (flyDubai) and SHJ (AirArabia). Your tickets seem expensive. Also consider using Etihad Guest and Avios for those short legs.
Which leg(s) are you referring to specifically? Number 23 and 24? If so, I checked flyDubai and these are the prices I saw. I haven’t checked the other three you mentioned yet but I will when I have a moment. But I’m not sure which legs you feel I should research further for better lower prices..

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 31, 2016 at 7:57 pm Reason: fix bad code and insert emji from quoted text

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.