Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Sweden on a budget?

Sweden on a budget?

Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: LH M+M
If you fit stuff on the outside, you /will/ need a cargo-bag (just use a 65-80l one) or you very easily risk to have the tent or whatever lost when you pick up at the caroussel.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: -
Thank you very much for this suggestion! I just never thought about this risk, so you saved me from a lot of possible trouble!

In the end I decided to use a 60L Quechua backpack and a pouch, to be able to have an easy access to the small but important things. I have a 80L cargo-bag, so that should do it.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
If you fit stuff on the outside, you /will/ need a cargo-bag (just use a 65-80l one) or you very easily risk to have the tent or whatever lost when you pick up at the caroussel.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You might consider taking the time to make a final overall list of what you take. It has evolved somewhat as things have been discussed here.

For selfish reasons, it will serve you as a good packing list on future trips.

If you post it here, the next camper might be able to use it as a basis for his/her list.

And, who knows, maybe somebody will point out something important you've missed.

I actually have a list like that on my computer. Started maybe 15 years ago. I update it as things change. Anything needed for any type of trip is on it, including things like stopping snow plowing, dress-up clothes, swim suits, etc. When packing for a trip, I print it out. Cross out everything not needed for the particular trip. Then start checking things off as I pack. Makes it possible to pack when sleep-deprived or whatever.

Romelle
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: -
Great idea! Thank you very much! I will do that tomorrow, because right now I don't have the time to check out the whole thread and my other notes on this trip. But I will gladly do this for myself, but for others as well. It would be nice, if my list could be helpful for others as well.

Edit:

Here comes the list:

My initial gear-list can be found here. What I failed to mention in that post is, that my initial plan for a sleeping system was a REI Minimalist Bivy and a Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Tarp Duo. What my list definitely missed was the sleeping pad. Also the overall costs would have been a bit too high for my budget, so after a lot of useful feedback my list changed the following way:

Instead of going with the bivy+tarp sleeping system, I opted for:

* Marmot Limelight 2P Tent
* Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Mattress
* Forclaz (Quechua) Sleeping Bag

Not very original, but at least it seems kind of foolproof.
The other stuff:

* Backpack - Forclaz (Quechua) 60L
* A 80L cargo-bag to put the backpack+tent+sleeping pad in it for the plane
* An older hiking waistbag
* An older 10 LED headlamp that still functions well (can't tell what brand)
* Kelty Upslope 2.0 Trekking Poles (these where the cheapest ones with acceptable quality)
* A simple, noname pocket knife
* A mini-tool similar to this
* A med kit with stuff bought from Pharmacy
* Some small and random kitchen utensils
* A back-up battery and charger for my phone
* Map and compass (nothing fancy)
* Some hiking clothes (the most important part of these may be the three pairs of hiking socks and the shoes)

That is all... I think.

Last edited by TheHouseElf; Jun 17, 2016 at 12:29 am Reason: Adding the final(?) list
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:26 am

I agree those shoes (or boots) and socks are probably the most important. Well broke in and road tested. I've also used liner socks on some hikes, although I didn't have blisters with just the wool socks. More for being able to wash that inner layer more often and easily.

And that reminds me ... a bit of laundry detergent can be handy. Shampoo will do in a pinch, but detergent is better.

We aren't going for originality here. Survival. Comfort. Sure thing. Durability. And a balance between those things and weight/bulk.

Originally Posted by TheHouseElf
Great idea! Thank you very much! I will do that tomorrow, because right now I don't have the time to check out the whole thread and my other notes on this trip. But I will gladly do this for myself, but for others as well. It would be nice, if my list could be helpful for others as well.

Edit:

Here comes the list:

My initial gear-list can be found here. What I failed to mention in that post is, that my initial plan for a sleeping system was a REI Minimalist Bivy and a Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Tarp Duo. What my list definitely missed was the sleeping pad. Also the overall costs would have been a bit too high for my budget, so after a lot of useful feedback my list changed the following way:

Instead of going with the bivy+tarp sleeping system, I opted for:

* Marmot Limelight 2P Tent
* Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Mattress
* Forclaz (Quechua) Sleeping Bag

Not very original, but at least it seems kind of foolproof.
The other stuff:

* Backpack - Forclaz (Quechua) 60L
* A 80L cargo-bag to put the backpack+tent+sleeping pad in it for the plane
* An older hiking waistbag
* An older 10 LED headlamp that still functions well (can't tell what brand)
* Kelty Upslope 2.0 Trekking Poles (these where the cheapest ones with acceptable quality)
* A simple, noname pocket knife
* A mini-tool similar to this
* A med kit with stuff bought from Pharmacy
* Some small and random kitchen utensils
* A back-up battery and charger for my phone
* Map and compass (nothing fancy)
* Some hiking clothes (the most important part of these may be the three pairs of hiking socks and the shoes)

That is all... I think.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:19 pm

I'm guessing your plans are all set. But as others have said, Inlaandsbanaan isn't cheap (I've taken it before. Quite interesting, you can order traditional meals and eat them when your train stops at the one house in the woods).
SJ is actually quite cheap, if you book in advance. You can get a ticket all the way to Narvik, Norway from Stockholm for under $100 US.

You might be surprised but the weather is colder than you would expect, even it being August.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:09 am

I'd love to hear what worked and what didn't on your list, and about your trip.

I'm sure others would also.

I've one grandparent immigrated from Sweden. A trip to see the family farm has been on my travel list for ages. Well, two more grandparents from Norway, and it and Sweden were one country for a while, so lots of ancestors there.

On hikes similar to what you are doing, I found some sort of sealed plastic map carrier hanging about my neck worked well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SEA-T...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

to show you the idea, but actually I used a heavy duty zip-lock bag with holes punched in the edge beyond the zip. A long shoelace knotted at the holes. And it hung about my neck quite nicely.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:17 pm

How will you be cooking your food? I'd recommend a small Trangia or equivalent portable stove, you can buy fuel (alcohol) for it in most grocery stores in Sweden. If you get a gas stove, you can find canisters in camping supply stores. The right to roam doesn't always include a right to build a fire and it is not uncommon for there to be wide bans on making a fire during the summer due to dry conditions, while stoves are usually ok.

You should be able to buy cheap canned food at Lidl-stores.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.