Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Questions about greyhound

Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Just purchased a ticket and forgot to click make password because my boyfriend does not have a photo ID but he has a birth certificate, I called Greyhound customer service and the guy was completely rude and would not put a password on for me and there's a no refund. Will his birth certificate work? I'm beyond stressed out and I can't do anything about it.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:09 pm

My Memory

I do not think that Greyhound requires a DL to board. After all, people are taking Greyhound because they cannot or don't wish to drive. That includes people who cannot legally hold a license (ie DUI), who are foreigners and don't have a license or people who simply prefer to take an intercity bus as opposed to driving and parking. In my situation, I choose to use a Greyhound bus for the exact reason that I prefer not to drive sometimes.

What exactly are you asking? Does your BF intend to pick up the tickets? In my case, I need to show the CC I've used to pick up the tickets. If he is the one boarding the bus, I am certain his birth certificate or any government issued ID is okay.

If the BF is a minor, he must identify himself to the driver and must follow certain rules, such as sitting in a certain section of the bus. I've also got on buses where they don't even ask for ID. Minors travel all the time, and it's not a big deal. If you are using a debit card to pay, it should not be a problem.

I fail to see why you need to have a password. If you think there will be trouble, go with your BF to the station and make sure he's able to get the tickets.

Chuck

Last edited by CKA1; Apr 23, 2016 at 6:27 pm
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:20 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I've only been asked for ID once on Greyhound, out of 10+ trips. Most drivers don't bother. There is always a chance that he will be asked, however. Does he not have any sort of ID, even a school/college card?
Old May 2, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Yeah, something with your name that looks official should be sufficient. Otherwise just say you lost it or don't have it.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
You only need an ID to pick up the tickets. Anyone with a ticket can board a bus. The lack of security is 1950s airport level.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:39 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
ou do not need id, just your ticket

sadly greyhound has some common sense
Old May 6, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cur
Not sure if that's a jab at TSA, and while they are doing a rather lousy job, sadly we do need the security post 9-11
Old May 6, 2016, 1:16 pm
cur

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not sure if that's a jab at TSA, and while they are doing a rather lousy job, sadly we do need the security post 9-11
yeah sorta

but you can't say anything that's been done since reinforcing flight deck doors has been actually security

cause it hasn't
Old May 6, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cur
Oh I'd beg to differ... The worst public transport operator I've used for any form of transport in any country I've ever visited! The Australian one is quite nice though, and the old UK Greyhound was pure luxury in comparison!

That being said, I'm a cheapskate so still use them (but only if they're significantly cheaper than Amtrak/Megabus etc.). Bolt is also fine despite being owned by them.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:37 am
cur

Originally Posted by callum9999
Oh I'd beg to differ... The worst public transport operator I've used for any form of transport in any country I've ever visited! The Australian one is quite nice though, and the old UK Greyhound was pure luxury in comparison!

That being said, I'm a cheapskate so still use them (but only if they're significantly cheaper than Amtrak/Megabus etc.). Bolt is also fine despite being owned by them.
yeah of course it's dumpy, it's greyhound.

megabus is decent though, and cheapcheap
Old May 7, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by cur
yeah of course it's dumpy, it's greyhound.

megabus is decent though, and cheapcheap
It was the common sense bit I was disagreeing with too! I can't say I come across many Greyhound employees with a great deal of it (or probably more fairly, who cares enough to use it and/or is empowered to use it).
Old May 8, 2016, 1:24 am
cur

It was the common sense bit I was disagreeing with too! I can't say I come across many Greyhound employees with a great deal of it (or probably more fairly, who cares enough to use it and/or is empowered to use it).
i always found that no employee ever wants to get involved

which to me is common sense
Old May 9, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by cur
i always found that no employee ever wants to get involved

which to me is common sense
Very good point! Even the managers are completely hostile and indifferent to customers - including my seemingly onerous and unreasonable request for the station manager to see if they can find my bag, which I had last seen locked on a coach with a small engine fire at 4am 12 hours earlier!
Old May 10, 2016, 6:54 am
cur

Very good point! Even the managers are completely hostile and indifferent to customers - including my seemingly onerous and unreasonable request for the station manager to see if they can find my bag, which I had last seen locked on a coach with a small engine fire at 4am 12 hours earlier!
haha that is a very onerous thing of you to ask a bus station manager

ah to now have a job and no longer be 17-19

one weekend in tx i was carless so i took megabus houston to san antonio for $2 roundtrip + $3.50 booking fee, loved it. they even do a red eye to new orleans for $1.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cur
they even do a red eye to new orleans for $1.
Well, that would save on the cost of a hotel ^

I've done my share of overnight Greyhound bus trips a long time ago, but doubt I'll EVER do it again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.