Wiki Posts
Search

Hostel Survey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I did the survey just to help out but I shudder at 12 to a room! Marijuana tourism???
While its been a few years since I stayed in any kind of dorm, and never did anything over 6 people, I wouldnt expect anyone over 30 to understand the appeal if they never stayed at a hostel before. Its about social interaction while traveling in your early 20s. This kind of setup facilitates that. And its cheap.

If you are 21, last thing you are looking for is a stuffy hyatt or sheraton full of "old" people.

And yes, hostels in Amsterdam have made quite a pretty penny on weed tourism in the past (look up the grasshopper) They used to make a killing.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The hostel format could actually work well in Denver because they'll set it up so you smoke in one area of the hostel and sleep in another. That way, it'll stay attractive to people who just want to use edibles and don't want to be around the smoke.

Of course, you could use edibles at the Marriott, but I think there's something to what rankourabu says: a bunch of buddies head out to Denver, some want to smoke, some want to try other things...this would be a good spot for them.

This has its advantages over even a regular 420-friendly hotel where eventually all of the rooms must just stink to high heaven.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk PFISTERT
This thread seems to be more suitable for the FT Budget Travel Forum.
Please continue to follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for taking the survey and providing feedback it is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
OK, I'm confused. Exactly what is an "upscale hostel"? Isn't that kind of like a "High Speed Smart Car"?
A hipster Hostel. I believe the reference is to Hostel Fish, which opened in July 2015.

I stayed there on opening weekend and again in February.

It's about $50 per night for a bunk. Quite nice.

The building is an old house of ill-repute a few blocks from the ball field. There is a dispenseray next door. They have a deck with an obstructed view for canniabas smoking (to comply with Colorado marijuana laws).

Most staying there were in Colorado for agri-tourism.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
OK, I'm confused. Exactly what is an "upscale hostel"? Isn't that kind of like a "High Speed Smart Car"?
I think there is a market for upscale hostels. Some people want the social benefits of a hostel and enjoy meeting people from all over the world, but also want comforts such as clean bathrooms, air conditioning, and so on.

I've stayed at several hostels, and I would pick a bunk in a shared room in an upscale hostel over a private room in a cheap roadside motel any day of the week, even if the prices were the same.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by cbn42
I've stayed at several hostels, and I would pick a bunk in a shared room in an upscale hostel over a private room in a cheap roadside motel any day of the week, even if the prices were the same.
Exactly, I would pick a private room in an upscale hostel any day over a rundown crappy Sheraton or the like. Especially if on my own.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:10 pm

I disagree. There are reasons to go to a hostel (meeting people, cost, opportunity for recreation) and reasons to go to a hotel.

If I'm going to Montreal for 3 nights on business or when I've got a few bucks, I stay at the Omni Mont Royal. If I'm going for three nights by myself, I'm staying at the HI hostel on 1030 Mackay. I generally compromise and stay in a private, and have rarely stayed in dorms.

Saying that, I usually meet friends in big cities, so I'm not always into meeting people at a hostel. In that case, I generally stay at a Days Inn or Sandman. Cost is similar to a private in a hostel but you're basically isolating yourself, and sometimes that's okay.

Upscale hostel? Yeah I'd try it. Marijuana friendly? I don't think I'd stay there. I don't drink or do drugs, so it just wouldn't be a factor.

Chuck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.