Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Affordable worldwide multi-stop travel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Affordable worldwide multi-stop travel?

OK, I hope I'm not violating the forum rules here, if so please direct me to the proper forum for this. I'm not looking for specific flights (it is too early for that anyways) but rather how I should go about booking this.

I have heard about "worldwide" airfare options versus just booking a bunch of one-way flights. I'd like to hear thoughts on how I could best investigate my options here. I no longer have status on any airlines although I do have a few Delta points (about 100k).

Total number of travelers will be 3 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 5).

I need to do the following legs:

Atlanta -> Honolulu on or around 2/25/2017
Honolulu -> Singapore on or around 3/3/2017
Singapore -> Sydney on or around 3/22/2017
Sydney -> Atlanta on or around 4/18/2017

Any suggestions on how to shop around for this?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Delta has a Round The World Travel Planner HERE.

There also is a guide on their web site about planning such a trip, and quite a lot more. I never could find actual rates though.

Romelle
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
OK, I hope I'm not violating the forum rules here, if so please direct me to the proper forum for this.

I have heard about "worldwide" airfare options versus just booking a bunch of one-way flights.
No, this forum is fine (moderator hat off).

Not sure .... actually pretty sure, given that DL's points are referred on FT as SkyPESOS your 100K points are going to do you much, if any good

Originally Posted by Romelle
Delta has a Round The World Travel Planner
ALL 3 alliances have RTW fares. I'd check each alliances' forum here on FT.

Now a thought:

IIRC (and no, I'm not going to look this up), there are HNL-Australia/NZ flights, but I'm not aware of HNL-SIN flights. There are NRT flights, but you'd have to connect. Any way to switch SIN and OZ?

Also, IIRC there's SG version of LCC to OZ, so that may be an option if going with individual flights, which I suspect MAY have lower price than RTW.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:42 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
OK, I hope I'm not violating the forum rules here, if so please direct me to the proper forum for this. I'm not looking for specific flights (it is too early for that anyways) but rather how I should go about booking this.

I have heard about "worldwide" airfare options versus just booking a bunch of one-way flights. I'd like to hear thoughts on how I could best investigate my options here. I no longer have status on any airlines although I do have a few Delta points (about 100k).

Total number of travelers will be 3 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 5).

I need to do the following legs:

Atlanta -> Honolulu on or around 2/25/2017
Honolulu -> Singapore on or around 3/3/2017
Singapore -> Sydney on or around 3/22/2017
Sydney -> Atlanta on or around 4/18/2017

Any suggestions on how to shop around for this?
Look at Circle Pacific fares on either the Oneworld or Star Alliance sites. The circle fares require you to cross the North Pacific (i.e. NA - Asia) in one direction and the South Pacific (i.e. Oz/NZ) in the other.

Like RTW fares, the prices of Circle fares are very different depending on where you start and end. For the time being (and this could well change before you travel) Oneworld Circle Pacific fares bought and begun in Canada are considerably cheaper than in the US. For example, a 26,000-mi LCIR26 started in Canada with a route such as YVR-LAX-HNL-NRT-SIN-SYD-LAX-YVR is around US$3340 plus tax while the same ticket bought and started in the US, e.g. ATL-DFW-HNL-NRT-SIN-SYD-DFW-ATL is US$5400 plus taxes. If you hit Hawaii on the return out of Vancouver you could use the the 22,000 mile version, LCIR22, which is US$2733+

Note kids 11 and under get a 25% discount.

This all assumes you're looking at Y; if you want business then the rules are the same but the prices are higher and may justify an RTW fare instead.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Sounds like a great trip.

I'd start with google flights. Use multiple tabs and look for 3 separate trips.As you've probably found already, your dates are too far ahead to search for now.

I did search for the same dates this year, and found that you can piece together an itinerary fairly easily using 3 separate trips. Your dates and itinerary lend themselves well to this, as you don't end up with possible missed connections from one ticket to another.

The two possibilities I came up with include :

02/25/16 ATL-HNL (round-trip outbound)
03/03/16 HNL-SIN (Open jaw outbound)
03/18/16 SIN-SYD (one-way)
04/16/16 SYD-HNL (open jaw inbound)
04/20/16 HNL-ATL (round trip inbound)

and

02/25/16 ATL-HNL (one-way)
03/03/16 HNL-SIN (open-jaw outbound)
03/22/16 SIN-SYD (one-way)
0418/16 SYD-ATL (open-jaw inbound)

If you like, I can PM you the search URLs for those.

Last edited by Cat Man Do; Jan 26, 2016 at 4:46 pm Reason: removed fare information to comply with the no-fare-request(answers?) rule

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.