Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody ever been in Denmark?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Has anybody ever been in Denmark?

Hi! Me and my friend have always dreamed to visit Denmark. We live in Russia and according to current curency situation this trip seems to be very expensive now. Does anybody have this experience and know any possiblities to make it more budjet? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If you post a little more information about your dream trip, it will help people help you.

Dates
Budget
Where in Denmark
Activities and interests

Prices vary a lot by dates. You can do better some times of the year than others. Generally the "shoulder" seasons - a little early or late for prime tourist time. But avoiding special holidays and events.

People have very different ideas about just what budget trips are. Would you consider things like youth hostels? Or figure dropping from 5* to 4* is enough of budgeting?

Copenhagen is probably much more expensive than smaller outlying towns.

Food is a big part of a budget. If you are willing to make simple meals from grocery stores you can eat quite reasonably. But again, more on your definition of budgeting ...

You might want to find some guide books that are more budget oriented. Lots of ideas in them. Lonely Planet and Rough Guide are two I know tend toward budget travel, but I'm sure there are other good ones. Maybe you could even check some out of a library to get started in finding the better ones?

Maybe you could post a simple one day budget in US dollars? Hotel, food, other. Then people here could suggest things that might work within those numbers.

Romelle
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:30 am

I visit Denmark frequently. I am a Scot living in Glasgow.

As Romelle said, you should tell us why you find Denmark so fascinating and then we can suggest some ideas to minimise the costs. Anything which involves service is expensive because of high taxes and wages but retail prices of food and drink are not far above most of Western Europe.

For a visitor the Copenhagen region including Hamlet's Castle at Helsingor is a must-see and with a good public transport system you need not stay downtown. Other interesting cities include Odense (Hans Christian Andersen) and Aalborg,
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"

Hamlet
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your answers, especially to Romelle for tips! Yes, I should be much more prepared. To be honest, we want to get married there after the new year. Most likely in early spring - March or April. We would like to come as a couple (without guests), but with a child, get married and spend in the country a few days (4-5). We haven`t thought about this trip more detailed yet. I totally agree that first of all we should start from guide books. But I also want to get some impressions from people who were there.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Getting married in a foreign country can be a complicated mess. Be sure you understand the legal requirements, including what is needed for permission to marry as nonresidents and what must be done to have Russia recognize the marriage. Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:25 am

One of the first things I look at when considering visiting someplace is weather and hours of daylight. Early spring in Denmark could be a bit damp and chilly? Those guide books will tell you.

Definitely listen to MSPeconomist about the legalities of getting married in a foreign country. Different countries have laws one sometimes had never even considered. And then there is the legality back home.

While cross-posting is discouraged on this site, you might ask just about those specific issues in the country-specific areas here. There is one just for Russia where you could ask about Russian recognition of marriages done in other countries. And there is one for Nordic Countries where you could ask about the issues of nonresident marriage. The population on this website seems to include lots of lawyers and law-savvy people. But give details in order to get the specific answers you need!

I've only visited Denmark for a few days a long time ago, but I remember a lovely place - clean, organized, friendly. Tivoli Gardens in Denmark would delight any child and most adults. Kronborg Castle, the home of Shakespeare's Hamlet, is amazing. I missed LegoLand, and that in itself is a reason to go back. But like the other Nordic countries, it is expensive, so you are wise to be planning and thinking well ahead of time.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Nov 19, 2015 at 3:35 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:14 am

Not long ago Danish television was broadcasting a TV show (Only in Danish) about foreigners getting married in Denmark. The show was focused around a little island called Ćrř which is branding itself as the wedding Island. One of the agencies featured in the show was a company called Danish Island Weddings, maybe they can help with more information about the process of getting married in Denmark.

Good luck with your wedding.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Getting married in a foreign country can be a complicated mess. Be sure you understand the legal requirements, including what is needed for permission to marry as nonresidents and what must be done to have Russia recognize the marriage. Good luck!
I think the OP wants to get married in Russia. Russians need a visa to visit the EU and being single/married can have a say in the matter of getting or not getting a visa.

What the OP seems to be asking is how can a couple with a kid visit Denmark on a budget. Did I get that right?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Amilia Bargues
... To be honest, we want to get married there after the new year. ... We would like to come as a couple (without guests), but with a child, get married and spend in the country a few days (4-5).
The above is from OP's second post. I take that as pretty clear they want to get married in Denmark.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Romelle
The above is from OP's second post. I take that as pretty clear they want to get married in Denmark.
Mea culpa
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Mea culpa
You are right about OP wanting Denmark budget trip info though.

No apologies necessary.

I was just trying to clarify. And make sure somebody knowing something about Russians getting married in Denmark doesn't hold back.

If OP goes through with the plan, various advice from this site probably can well be used. People here have helped me many times in all sorts of ways.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.