Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dream vacation to honolulu hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Dream vacation to honolulu hawaii

Hello!! My head is spinning from planning our trip to Honolulu Hawaii from SFO. Can someone please offer some suggestions on which points to use for the flight and hotels and rental car. Oh and if you have any suggestions or feedback regarding your previous stay, please do comment.

Details:
2 adults
1 3yo
1 5mo

Sept 28-oct 3
Sfo to hnl

54k Aadvantage
70k ihg
Currently have amex plat (just signed up) for husband and I
60k delta skymiles

That's it! Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by monacutest
Hello!! My head is spinning from planning our trip to Honolulu Hawaii from SFO. Can someone please offer some suggestions on which points to use for the flight and hotels and rental car. Oh and if you have any suggestions or feedback regarding your previous stay, please do comment.

Details:
2 adults
1 3yo
1 5mo

Sept 28-oct 3
Sfo to hnl

54k Aadvantage
70k ihg
Currently have amex plat (just signed up) for husband and I
60k delta skymiles

That's it! Thanks for your help!
Flights - Are you ok flying out of OAK. If yes, then transfer 100k UR to BA Avios and redeem for flights on AS.

Rental Car- you can either pay cash or use your UR points through the travel portal although that's a typically not a very good redemption value.

Hotels- There are far too many options here. What do you want? luxury? beachfront? kid-friendly? affordable? in the city?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Without any additional information as to your interests and travel preferences it's hard to offer too much advice, but here are a few thoughts and ideas.

Hotel: the last few times we've stayed in HNL we've stayed at the Ilikai. This is the iconic hotel seen in the opening credits of "Hawaii 5-0" and although it is an older property and is a bit of a walk from Waikiki Beach and the heart of the main tourist area, it is still a good choice. It is on the water (it overlooks the harbor where they filmed the opening of "Gilligan's Island"), is close to a lagoon and the beach, and each room has a very large lanai, but the best thing about it is some of the rooms come with a complete kitchen featuring a full size fridge, stove, microwave, etc. Making your own breakfast and coffee and having it on your lanai overlooking the Pacific is pretty nice. Since it's not right by Waikiki, the area around the hotel is also much quieter. You'd be surprised how noisy it can be out on Kalakaua Avenue, which is the main street running through HNL -- crowds, street performers, etc. until all hours.

What to do: no matter what else you want to do, here are a few things you shouldn't miss. Pearl Harbor -- do the full tour out to the USS Arizona Memorial. Hike the Diamond Head trail up to the peak for a spectacular view. Check out Waikiki Beach -- it's much smaller than you'd expect, but you can say you've been there. Have a mai-tai and catch a hula performance at House Without a Key, the outdoor lounge at the Halekulani Hotel (it's a 10 minute walk either from Waikiki Beach or the Ilikai).

Obviously there is much more to do, but IMO these are the non-negotiables. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Without any additional information as to your interests and travel preferences it's hard to offer too much advice, but here are a few thoughts and ideas.

Hotel: the last few times we've stayed in HNL we've stayed at the Ilikai. This is the iconic hotel seen in the opening credits of "Hawaii 5-0" and although it is an older property and is a bit of a walk from Waikiki Beach and the heart of the main tourist area, it is still a good choice. It is on the water (it overlooks the harbor where they filmed the opening of "Gilligan's Island"), is close to a lagoon and the beach, and each room has a very large lanai, but the best thing about it is some of the rooms come with a complete kitchen featuring a full size fridge, stove, microwave, etc. Making your own breakfast and coffee and having it on your lanai overlooking the Pacific is pretty nice. Since it's not right by Waikiki, the area around the hotel is also much quieter. You'd be surprised how noisy it can be out on Kalakaua Avenue, which is the main street running through HNL -- crowds, street performers, etc. until all hours.

What to do: no matter what else you want to do, here are a few things you shouldn't miss. Pearl Harbor -- do the full tour out to the USS Arizona Memorial. Hike the Diamond Head trail up to the peak for a spectacular view. Check out Waikiki Beach -- it's much smaller than you'd expect, but you can say you've been there. Have a mai-tai and catch a hula performance at House Without a Key, the outdoor lounge at the Halekulani Hotel (it's a 10 minute walk either from Waikiki Beach or the Ilikai).

Obviously there is much more to do, but IMO these are the non-negotiables. Enjoy your trip!
Thank you so much for the notes! This is our first time to go to HNL, so I really wanna plan everything.

Anyway, I will look into Ilikai. That's exactly what we want - a place we can cook in just in case we get tired of eating out.

I think I will just save my UR points for a trip to Manila using Korean Skymiles. We really wanna try the first class.

My friend suggested that I get the 4 Day Oahu card from Costco worth $169 - where you can visit 33 attractions.

Again thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by monacutest
...That's exactly what we want - a place we can cook in just in case we get tired of eating out.
Since you mentioned this, I'll add that one of our favorite dinners in Hawaii is to go to the supermarket for poke, mac salad, and Kona Brewing Co. beer. Bring that back to your room and have private dinner on your lanai overlooking the beach and the Pacific. That is a real "who's better than us?" moment...

Other eating recommendations: Marukame Udon (look it up on Yelp or TA; it's inexpensive and excellent, and there's usually a line to get in), and go to Duke's bar and grill at the Outrigger Main on Waikiki Beach for a fish sandwich and most importantly a Hula Pie. Split one order of Hula Pie -- it's huge -- but trust me, it's a must.

BTW, everything I've mentioned in my posts on this thread is within walking distance of Waikiki or Ilikai except for Pearl Harbor and the entrance to Diamond Head, but those are a quick and inexpensive bus ride away if you aren't renting a car.

PS -- since this is your first time in HI, pay the upcharge at the hotel for an ocean view room if you can swing it. It's worth it at least once.

Last edited by KevinDTW; Sep 2, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I think I will just save my UR points for a trip to Manila using Korean Skymiles. We really wanna try the first class."

Then how do you plan to get to Hawaii? Have you priced cash tickets?

Assuming that you do not need a seat for your infant, you would only need 75K BA Avios (not 100K) for three Coach roundtrips if you can find low-tier award seats on AS' SJC/OAK-HNL nonstops.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I don't think paying for award tickets SFO-HNL is worth it, those are some VERY reasonably priced cash tickets... either on AS, HA or DL. e.g. just from a brief look, SJC-OGG is 400USD on AS, SFO-LAX-HNL is 435USD on DL. And those trips go on discount quite often so you can keep an eye out for e.g. Alaska flash sales.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I think I will just save my UR points for a trip to Manila using Korean Skymiles. We really wanna try the first class."

Then how do you plan to get to Hawaii? Have you priced cash tickets?

Assuming that you do not need a seat for your infant, you would only need 75K BA Avios (not 100K) for three Coach roundtrips if you can find low-tier award seats on AS' SJC/OAK-HNL nonstops.
I bought cash tickets instead, paid $702 per person except for my baby. Three days later, tickets dropped to $558. 😭😭
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:50 pm

Please don't miss the north shore! We rented a condo from vrbo.com on the north shore (we weren't into miles and points back then) and it was truly magical. We got in our rental car and just drove around the island. We stumbled upon a beach where giant tortoises had just crawled up on shore.

We really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center. We hiked up to see Waimea Falls and enjoyed a tour a Kuaola Ranch, we checked out Byodo-In Temple (gorgeous!).

I had small kids and one day we drove out to Disney's Aulani Resort. We walked around the resort to see what it looks like. The beach outside is public and though the pool area is supposed to be private, we were able to catch a glimpse of Mickey Mouse.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bannister
Please don't miss the north shore! We rented a condo from vrbo.com on the north shore (we weren't into miles and points back then) and it was truly magical. We got in our rental car and just drove around the island. We stumbled upon a beach where giant tortoises had just crawled up on shore.

We really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center. We hiked up to see Waimea Falls and enjoyed a tour a Kuaola Ranch, we checked out Byodo-In Temple (gorgeous!).

I had small kids and one day we drove out to Disney's Aulani Resort. We walked around the resort to see what it looks like. The beach outside is public and though the pool area is supposed to be private, we were able to catch a glimpse of Mickey Mouse.
Thank you so much for your input. Yes we will visit the north shore! I can't wait, 5 days to go!!!!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My "dream" vacations never included infants/toddlers.

YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.