Wiki Posts
Search

New guy advice needed for longhaul flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

New guy advice needed for longhaul flights

Good Afternoon everyone!

I am a student looking to go somewhere "unconventional" on vacation. My girlfriend and I were looking at Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka or somewhere like that. I'm not a frequent flyer, I usually go on holiday every year and have been to Thailand, Portugal, The Netherlands, USA, Cyprus & Turkey - some multiple times. Being a student, I don't believe I am eligible for Credit Cards with high amounts of Miles, so I don't think I can find cheap flights that way.

Does anyone have any wood ways to find cheap flights for long haul flights. I have tried all the aggregators, then compared them, tried working through a VPN/private browsing. I have been trying to 'travel hack' flights for a good few months now, but I can't seem to fight a really good deal.

I am looking at using Darjeelin or FlightFox next, to see if they can provide something. Would anyone recommend that?

Can anyone give me advice on how to find cheeper prices than the aggregators show?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by EmailKid; Jun 20, 2015 at 9:32 pm Reason: More descriptive title
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you've tried the likes of Kayak and Google Flights, Expedia, etc, then there's not much we can do for you. It might help a bit if you were clear on where you wanted to go, rather than just 'unconventional'. Also, what is your budget; what do you consider expensive?

Welcome to FT, FlyingCalum!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

First piece of advice: FT has a Budget Travel forum.

Second piece of advice: Always use descriptive thread titles. "New guy advice needed" does not give anyone a clue as to the type of advice you are seeking.

Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Sorry everyone.

I don't really have many specifics to be honest. I'm just trying to find the best places to look for flights. The dates can be flexible, so I don't want to request someone helps me with something specific, then it turns out to be useless because I have to change the dates etc.

I just thought that because folk on here travel a lot, you would have some tips and hints on how to get reduced travel.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Unfortunately Flyertalk is not a travel agency. If you have a question "Where should I go?", make that your query. As for finding a cheap fare to anywhere in the world at nonspecific times, check out the.Mileage Run deals forum, the budget travel forum, and the online booking sites forum. There really isn't any magic that allows people on Flyertalk to find cheap flights anywhere in the world on any dates.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Do you have access to any miles? If you're US based- there are tons of credit cards with mileage bonuses you can earn. Not sure if they'll approve students or not. Worth a try.

You might also look at consolidator fares, which are frequently cheaper than the published fares. Might need to ask a travel agent for those.

Also, it's probably a matter of managing your expectations. There have been many good sales to Asia from the U.S. this year, but a good price is still ~$800. The Mileage Run Deals section here is a good way to keep track of fares.

Come back when you have a more specific query and maybe we can help. There is a sub-forum especially for it. And keep all this in perspective. You've already been to more countries as a young person than many people from older generations may have their entire lives!

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jun 20, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Budget Travel Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:25 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
New guy advice needed!

Omaha is a pretty unconventional place, plus they have a great zoo!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
If you're US based- there are tons of credit cards with mileage bonuses you can earn. Not sure if they'll approve students or not. Worth a try.

You might also look at consolidator fares, which are frequently cheaper than the published fares. Might need to ask a travel agent for those.
OP's profile says Glasgow Scotland.

For consolidator fares try bucket shops or Sunday papers.

Also, don't know how Glasgow is for fares, but some big hub may have cheap fares and it MAY be cheaper to buy two roundtrip tickets.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Second piece of advice: Always use descriptive thread titles. "New guy advice needed" does not give anyone a clue as to the type of advice you are seeking.
Now fixed.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Welcome, FlyingCalum.

Have you had a look at the Mileage Run Deals forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

There's a lot of alerts in there about long-haul flights, particularly from Scandinavia. If you're happy to take a slightly roundabout route, you can get some great deals on flights like Gothenburg - London - India - London - Glasgow, for example.

There's also a lot of decent fares from Edinburgh (if you can bear to take yourself over that side ) on Qatar Airways.

For trips to SE Asia, have a look at flights to the big gateways (Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, etc) and then have a look at Air Asia as a way to get to your final destination.

You could also find a cheap flight from GLA/EDI to the UAE, and continue from there on Air Arabia from Sharjah (or one of the - actually very decent - Indian LCCs, like Indigo or SpiceJet).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCalum
Does anyone have any wood ways to find cheap flights for long haul flights. I have tried all the aggregators, then compared them, tried working through a VPN/private browsing. I have been trying to 'travel hack' flights for a good few months now, but I can't seem to fight a really good deal.
As a fellow Weegie, I advise also checking departures from Manchester which are usually more plentiful and cheaper than Scottish airports. There's a good direct train service to Manchester Airport that can be inexpensive if you book ahead. Use Skyscanner as your starting point for flights
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
One 'trick': search for flights bound to the hub of the region you're looking at, not the final destination itself.

e.g. BKK for Asia has the highest competition and basically any large airline flies to it.
From there onward start your search for LCC carriers directed to your destination.

A classic is EU-BKK-(Fly Scoot)--> Australia
Or Air Asia via KUL onto many regional cities.

This is always important to keep in mind, since you're purchasing a ticket with a fare tailored on the "market" of the origin/destination.

The more this market is a niche, the more you generally pay for the convenience.
It is always worth to recalibrate at least one between O/D to see what happens.

If you play it right, allow plenty of time for connection (remember separate tickets don't give you right of rebooking) the savings are often significant.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I second farci's suggestion about Skyscanner. I've been in your situation before - have a mental list of places I'd like to see, but no idea which one to go to for my next trip. What I love about Skyscanner is that it has a function I haven't really seen anywhere else. (You do need to have a general idea of when you want to go, though, since it needs dates.)

Go to the Skyscanner website, put your departure airport, and for arrival select "Everywhere". Input your dates (this is really just a rough guide of what prices are, to get an idea, nothing that can't be changed later) and Search.

It will pull up a list of countries - if someone has searched those airports and dates already, it will list the price. If not, you can run the search yourself - opening a new tab for each country (and then city) you're interested in and let it do all the legwork.

Back in 2011 I used this search to great effect. I went down the list selecting any country that sounded interesting. One of the ones I selected was Russia. It pulled up flights roundtrip IAH-DME for about $800 on Singapore Air. It's unlikely I would have found that on my own since I might not have thought to check Moscow if I had to manually search every city I had interest in. My dates changed some from my original plans but I still had that same price when I booked the tickets. And it helped me "eliminate" more expensive cities where I knew it was out of my budget.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by undergrace; Jun 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:38 pm

Agree with the Skyscanner suggestion! Also, the Mileage Run deals and websites that deal with similar content (Fly4Free and Secret Flying, for example) could be useful if you get very lucky with dates/locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.