Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have knowledge on flights for south america and north america ex AU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone have knowledge on flights for south america and north america ex AU?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

This is my first post - so please redirect me if I am in the wrong forum.

We are flying Brisbane - Tahiti for our honeymoon in September 2015 and would like to fly onward to South America, North America & Canada and then back to Australia.

We are looking at keeping flight costs to a minimum - but would like advice to others of how much flights for these destinations would cost.

Our travel dates are flexible
Tahiti - South America (any South America arrival city) (early OCT)
South America (any South America departure city) - Vancouver via North America (Early December)
Vancouver - Australia (Late Jan/Early Feb)

So far quotes - I have received have been about AUD$4500 per person. And would like to know if anyone knows a cheaper way to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Kate
Old May 12, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT
FT is not the place for fare requests: that is what travel agents do.

With your itinerary you have limited options options on some routes, if you want to fly non stop. Particularly Tahiti to anywhere and Vancouver to Australia. (Vancouver is in North America so cannot be "via")

You could look at a OneWorld circle pacific fare, but likely to be a similar cost or more.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:13 am

Via could be proper if she means North America, as in the northern part of the U.S., which is often times referred to as America.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to FT
FT is not the place for fare requests: that is what travel agents do.

With your itinerary you have limited options options on some routes, if you want to fly non stop. Particularly Tahiti to anywhere and Vancouver to Australia. (Vancouver is in North America so cannot be "via")

You could look at a OneWorld circle pacific fare, but likely to be a similar cost or more.
Huh? A connection in North America between South America and Vancouver is not only logical, it's incredibly difficult to avoid (if you can at all).

As to the question on fares, play around with ITA matrix. Keep changing the South American airports and play with dates and you'll possibly find a cheaper fare. You can literally spend hours upon hours trying different combinations so I'm obviously not going to do that, but I found a theoretically possible itinerary for $2800 each. http://goo.gl/flights/6Evh

It involves calling an airline to book, and is a very weird combination of airlines so I don't know if they'd actually be able to do it. That's the sort of thing you need to be doing to search for fares though.

EDIT: That itinerary I posted works on Orbitz.com for AU$3400 - if you keep searching similar sites maybe it could go down to AU$2800. Playing with the dates on Orbitz for 2 minutes brought it down to AU$2700 - put some effort in and you could possibly get it for even less.

Tahiti - Los Angeles - Dallas - Bogota - 6th October
Bogota - Dallas - Vancouver - 2nd December
Vancouver - Guangzhou - Perth - 3rd February

Last edited by callum9999; May 13, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old May 13, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by callum9999
Huh? A connection in North America between South America and Vancouver is not only logical, it's incredibly difficult to avoid (if you can at all).
Vancouver is in North America. The point is not whether South America to North America via North America is possible or not (it obviously is) but that the OP is being very vague. Do they want to connect in Mexico, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Aruba, Panama, or one of the other 41 North American countries, including but not limited to The United States of America.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:02 pm

Kate,

Try to find an experienced travel agent that will advise you on where to go based on your likes, and to assist you during your trip in case any plans go awry. For example, since you mentioned South America, I would highly suggest visiting Machu Picchu, it's an absolutely zen place with lots of friendly people. Anyhow, I planned to go there in my honeymoon but wasn't able because AeroPeru went on strike, and since I did not have a travel agent to help me, I had to make alternate travel arrangements myself - and it was horrible!
Old May 15, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Vancouver is in North America. The point is not whether South America to North America via North America is possible or not (it obviously is) but that the OP is being very vague. Do they want to connect in Mexico, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Aruba, Panama, or one of the other 41 North American countries, including but not limited to The United States of America.
Wrong. The "point" was that you cannot get from South America to Vancouver via North America. If they meant "you're being too vague for us to make suggestions" then that's what they should have said, not "that's not possible".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.