Wiki Posts
Search

Fly only the Second Leg of a Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Fly only the Second Leg of a Flight

Hi All,

Many questions have been posted about using only the first flight of a round trip ticket. Or only the first leg of a multi-stop flight. However I have a unique scenario that I have not seen posted before. I am looking to fly from Atlanta (ATL) to Saint Martin (SXM). The best deals are from Tampa to Saint Martin with a connection in Atlanta.

I would like to purchase a ticket from Tampa to Saint Martin, but I'd like to skip the first leg (Tampa --> Atlanta) and just check in for the second leg (Atlanta --> Saint Martin).

The question is will the airlines catch on that I skipped my first leg? Will I be able to use the second leg of my ticket to get through security and fly to Saint Martin.

-Thanks, B
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:36 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
First, welcome to FT.

Second, many threads on this issue. Without exception, if you fail to show for the first segment (or any segment but the last), the remaining portion of your ticket will be cancelled.

So, in your case, if you fail to fly the TPA to ATL segment, your connection in ATL to Saint Martin will be cancelled as well as the flights returning to the states.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This is asked all the time.

Not doable. If you miss the first leg, the rest of your itinerary gets cancelled.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks All - I was more familiar with posts regarding dumping the second leg not the first. Thanks for the quick replies and welcomes.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mbece
Indeed, one of the most asked questions on FT.

If you had a time machine and could go back 30 years ....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:19 pm

Not doable. If you miss the first leg, the rest of your itinerary gets cancelled.

Hmm, I would say "probably" the rest of your itinerary gets cancelled. I have been in this exact situation (due to a transportation problem) -> about a month ago I missed a fight from LAN to DTW and took a taxi to DTW - Delta let me on the second flight I was on (from DTW to TPA) without any questions/hassles/etc.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RobertH
Hmm, I would say "probably" the rest of your itinerary gets cancelled. I have been in this exact situation (due to a transportation problem) -> about a month ago I missed a fight from LAN to DTW and took a taxi to DTW - Delta let me on the second flight I was on (from DTW to TPA) without any questions/hassles/etc.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Maybe there's a distance/time where they are more lenient?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Maybe there's a distance/time where they are more lenient?
It would be due to a delay or possible misconnect that an airline would make this kind of exception. If all flights are on time and running normal, don't expect the same consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.