Wiki Posts
Search

North East USA/Canada Summer Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

North East USA/Canada Summer Trip

Hi Everybody,

I am new to the forum, so hi to everyone!

I booked a ticket to US for this August, landing at JFK with a US Airlines Flight from LUX, and I'd like to rent a car and travel around the US between NYC and Canada(Montreal, Toronto). We have 15 days there.

Any suggestion about the trip? What to see, things to do..A friend of mine suggested to book a copter trip over Niagara Falls. Did any of you try it? Impressions?

And, last question: do you know any cheap car rental? What is the best option according to your experience?

Cheers guys!
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:59 pm

Based on my experience as a car passenger in the NE US this past summer, Interstate Highways are often straight, busy with traffic and rather impersonal. I thoroughly enjoyed taking the train (AMTRAK) not least because I got to see countryside and towns from comfort but also met lots of interesting people when I travelled. I know that the US rail system is a bit limited in routes but you can do NY-Buffalo which takes you close to Niagara Falls ... and on to Toronto and Montreal. I also enjoyed travelling from Boston to Montreal with the Greyhound bus ... again for the scenery and the interaction with local folk and fellow travellers from more exotic places than my home turf! Might be less stressful than driving for long distances, and hire a car locally to explore in more detail.

If you have the opportunity to work it into your routing, I'd visit Amish Country in Pennsylvania. We also enjoyed Grayline Tours from Montreal to Lake Tremblant and Quebec and Montmorency Falls ... nice to let someone else handle the timings and the traffic! Oh, and the Botanical Gardens in Montreal are wonderful.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:54 am

I'd second Alsacienne's suggestion of taking trains and buses (between some locations, at least). I remember really enjoying the views during parts of the Amtrak ride between Boston and NYC. I also loved how that train ride meant I didn't have to drive in New York City
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
The prettiest train rides I've taken in the US:

Along the California coast where the trains run closer to the ocean than the highway.

Sunrise along the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington.

The mountains of western Montana and Idaho spotting elk and deer, and looking down upon a copper mining area at night while sipping apricot brandy in the observation car.

Fall leaf colors between Boston and New York (your trip is a little early for that, so you'll have to do another sometime).

If you are interested, check the Amtrak site for maps and more detail of the various routes.

When you've researched your car rental and think you have the best price, you might consider Hotwire and/or bidding via Priceline to see if you can beat it. (And insurance can give you peace of mind. Can be worth the $$.)

Romelle
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Anything that gives nice sign up bonuses
Other places

I am a fan of small cities...particularly college towns. Although the train sounds nice, I would think the best bang for your buck, considering the likely need to return a rental car to where you started, involves a car. I would recommend the Upper Delaware River Valley, Definitely Ithaca and the Finger Lakes area. Visit the Women's National Historic Park and drink a bottle of wine along Lake Cayuga. Drive the Lake Ontario Parkway on your way to Niagara Falls.
Maybe visit locks on the Erie Canal or the Welland Canal if you want something a bit more modern. Toronto of course followed by Kingston, Thousand Islands and Montreal. I Love Burlington VT, a great French Bakery in Virgennes, Bennington or Brattleboro, Northampton or Amherst, Litchfield County.

There is a lot of things to see along the way, but I would make some sort of loop.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Have done the North East extensively over last thirty years or so - train might be OK for point to point travel if you are only doing cities but to get a real feel for New England you need a car.

We are doing a similar trip this summer - Fly to New York, drive to Niagara then Toronto (apparently not worth more than 2 days), drive to Montreal, few days there, then down to Boston (we've been multiple times but children (16 & 14) have only been once when they were tiny) finishing up in New York (will be my 8th time - we were there last summer and kids loved it so want to go back) before boarding the QM2 for 7 days at sea.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Car rental v. train

Forget the chopper idea.......too expensive! If you insist, try the Maid of the Mist or the walk behind the falls.

To back up, are you certain you really want to go to Niagara Falls? Its a 7 hour drive, not esp. scenic and en route you have to detour to see the nicest place suggested above i.e. Ithaca.

Instead, I recommend you head north to Montreal (6 hours), checking out Sarasota Springs, NY and Burlington, VT en route.

There are many options for affordable car rentals IF you are 25 + & have a major credit card. Do you want to rent a car? That's another story. Sure, it gives you flex. to visit places en route. On the other hand, Amtrak runs a daily service to Montreal, and its very nice (Full disclosure, they also run a daily train to Toronto, with stops in Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Quebec City is another 3 h. A lovely city,but its very popular with Americans who want the old European charm w/o going to Europe! I don't think that is you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.