Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Why do Canadians pay so much when it comes to flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Canadians pay so much when it comes to flying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
I live in Toronto Canada and the following are correct when it comes to Canadian travel:

1. Lack of competition. We only have Air Canada and Westjet.
2. High airport fees and fuel surcharges. This is the reason why a lot of travellers from Toronto fly out of Buffalo instead. For example, in my situation, taking a taxi twice (to the airport and back home) will cost over $100. Instead of paying $110 for a taxi, I drive to Buffalo. The parking there is so cheap, only $10 a day so I just park it and leave it there. Once I parked at Toronto Airport for 5 hours and got charged $60!!

3. Huge land, sparse population : we only have a population of roughly 34 million and we have the second largest land in the entire world to service.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TheSinister
3. Huge land, sparse population : we only have a population of roughly 34 million and we have the second largest land in the entire world to service.
That is true, but most of Canadians live within 100 miles of US border, mostly 49th parallel @:-)

But I do agree, population is small, distances are vast, and competition is nonexistent.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Zinneken, I'd like to know what country you live in and what your purpose in posting on this topic was. It appears to me to be a pointless topic.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:54 pm

In a nutshell, Canada does not subsidize air travel, and in fact, the federal government charges the industry many hundreds of millions a year in airport rents. Contrast this with most other nations that do provide heavy subsidies.

Nearly all of Canada's major airports have seen their passenger facilities extensively upgraded over the past decade. Meanwhile, if you visit US airports like SFO, LAX, ATL, LGA, etc., investment for the past 10-20 years has been relatively scarce.

Many Canadian airports have their infrastructure all up to date, and cash in the bank, and are now approaching the position of being able to negotiate lower fees for AIFs and with the operators. While foreign airports, its quite the opposite -- they're looking for increases, or will be as crumbling infrastructure can no longer be neglected..

If you look at the profitability of the main Canadian carriers, Air Canada and WestJet, they are not abnormally/unusually high compared to the rest of the world. Hence, it really can't/shouldn't be claimed that the market in Canada is not highly competitive.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pitz
In a nutshell, Canada does not subsidize air travel, and in fact, the federal government charges the industry many hundreds of millions a year in airport rents. Contrast this with most other nations that do provide heavy subsidies.

Nearly all of Canada's major airports have seen their passenger facilities extensively upgraded over the past decade. Meanwhile, if you visit US airports like SFO, LAX, ATL, LGA, etc., investment for the past 10-20 years has been relatively scarce.

Many Canadian airports have their infrastructure all up to date, and cash in the bank, and are now approaching the position of being able to negotiate lower fees for AIFs and with the operators. While foreign airports, its quite the opposite -- they're looking for increases, or will be as crumbling infrastructure can no longer be neglected..

If you look at the profitability of the main Canadian carriers, Air Canada and WestJet, they are not abnormally/unusually high compared to the rest of the world. Hence, it really can't/shouldn't be claimed that the market in Canada is not highly competitive.
I'm just waiting to see what type of AIF will be levied on me as I travel thru YYC' newly built terminal.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by TheSinister
I live in Toronto Canada and the following are correct when it comes to Canadian travel:

1. Lack of competition. We only have Air Canada and Westjet.
2. High airport fees and fuel surcharges. This is the reason why a lot of travellers from Toronto fly out of Buffalo instead. For example, in my situation, taking a taxi twice (to the airport and back home) will cost over $100. Instead of paying $110 for a taxi, I drive to Buffalo. The parking there is so cheap, only $10 a day so I just park it and leave it there. Once I parked at Toronto Airport for 5 hours and got charged $60!!

While it's true there really are only 2 airlines, re: Buffalo you have to remember that you're adding on at least 2hrs each way if not more. You can always take the subway for $3.

IMO, my time is worth more, but also with Buffalo, the "savings" really only apply to US domestic flights. Once you go international the savings are minimal if anything, ie. European and Asian bound flights have no savings and if anything cost more.
This has been widely reported as well.

In short, it really depends on where you travel. For me personally to go the Buffalo route is pointless.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Zinneken, I'd like to know what country you live in and what your purpose in posting on this topic was. It appears to me to be a pointless topic.
I second your request dulciusexasperis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.