What do you Consider Essential

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you Consider Essential

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
A kettle and wifi is what I cannot forgo anymore.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
A kettle and wifi is what I cannot forgo anymore.
Good luck with the kettle outside of UK and Ireland

Got one here at airBnB in Dublin, but won't be using it in the morning.

Not sure why no WiFi in Prague at another airBnB, but that's why I've been carrying around Cat5 cable all these years @:-) Modem was WiFi capable, sonot sure why not activated.

On a sad note, wired connection was much slower than WiFi I'm used to
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Good luck with the kettle outside of UK and Ireland
I disagree.
Never had a problem to find one in central, eastern and northern European countries, Asia, Australia and South Africa. But I'm sure back in time I did find it also in other African countries.
Of course former British colonies are more likely to provide it somehow .
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
If I'm travelling alone, all I need is basically the kinds of things you would find in any run of the mill Econo Lodge, Travelodge, Motel 6, etc.... even ones that aren't particularly nice.

It doesn't have to be opulent, but it should be clean. I rarely eat at hotel restaurants so that's not essential (although free/cheap breakfast is nice). I can't start my day without coffee but I rarely use in-room coffee makers. I seldom use hotel phones anymore.

So really the list consists of clean, comfortable bed, a TV, a table and a chair, a clean washroom... that's about all it takes. Although I do typically aim a little higher
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by heraclitus
If I'm travelling alone, all I need is basically the kinds of things you would find in any run of the mill Econo Lodge, Travelodge, Motel 6, etc.... even ones that aren't particularly nice.

It doesn't have to be opulent, but it should be clean. I rarely eat at hotel restaurants so that's not essential (although free/cheap breakfast is nice). I can't start my day without coffee but I rarely use in-room coffee makers. I seldom use hotel phones anymore.

So really the list consists of clean, comfortable bed, a TV, a table and a chair, a clean washroom... that's about all it takes. Although I do typically aim a little higher
My usual travel style is very heavy on the out-and-about time, which may be learned to a certain extent if you start in at the budget level. Though with hostels some people like a partying kind of place.

OTOH once in a blue moon I might stumble into a deal like 5K for an award ticket to CUN on Spirit and sub-$50 at a 4-star place like the Westin right on the beach there. Usually you have to risk hurricane season to get that, but going car-less and doing a mostly coccooning bit in such a setting can be very relaxing.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by RustyC
My usual travel style is very heavy on the out-and-about time, which may be learned to a certain extent if you start in at the budget level.
Good point. As a student I almost always stayed in a hotel as opposed to a hostel, but some places were kind of dingy and lacked any sort of creature comforts (sometimes there was no TV). Naturally you wouldn't make any extra time to stay in your room in a place like that.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: QF
As a current student with a sort of different travel style. I'm big on the adventure travel thing but I do like having a consistent and comfortable place to crash at night.

Essentials:

Cleanliness
Comfortable bed
Shower/Bathroom
Good location
Room service
Bar/Restaurant
Wifi

Don't need:

TV
Gym/Sauna/Pool facilities
Business class travel (although free upgrades are nice...)
Fancy car when hiring

Last edited by CitizenWorld; Nov 8, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.