Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest U.S. city from which to fly to Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
Question Cheapest U.S. city from which to fly to Frankfurt

We are trying to use miles & vouchers (that will expire early next year) and minimal out of pocket money to visit family in Frankfurt over the holidays in Dec/Jan.

We don't have the miles to get all four of us from Seattle to Frankfurt, but thought it might make sense to use miles to get to the East Coast or somewhere that has better fares to Europe than Seattle might. Then, we can use our vouchers and cash to get us over the Atlantic.

I'm not sure this is optimal - but I thought it worth checking.

What city(ies) would likely have the cheapest airfare to Frankfurt from the U.S.?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

It might help if you let us know what kind and how many miles and vouchers you have?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Given that you are in Seattle, I'd recommend you also look at flights out of PDX. Compare those and flights out of Seattle when you decide to book. PDX may be more competitive at times than SEA,with lower fares.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Oddly enough I've usually found there is often no correlation between the flights with the cheapest price and the flights with award seats available. Can be frustrating when doing what you're hoping to do.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:48 pm

Fares from Vancouver to Frankfurt can often be cheap (but not on Lufthansa). Also look at both SEA-FRA-YVR and YVR-FRA-SEA, because odd things can happen with the fares that way.

Consider destinations that are an easy train ride away also. For example, Amsterdam to Frankfurt is about 5 hours, I think (going by memory). Dusseldorf or Cologne both are easy rides.
Paris is about a 5-hour train trip.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sydnerd
We are trying to use miles & vouchers (that will expire early next year) and minimal out of pocket money to visit family in Frankfurt over the holidays in Dec/Jan.

We don't have the miles to get all four of us from Seattle to Frankfurt, but thought it might make sense to use miles to get to the East Coast or somewhere that has better fares to Europe than Seattle might. Then, we can use our vouchers and cash to get us over the Atlantic.

I'm not sure this is optimal - but I thought it worth checking.

What city(ies) would likely have the cheapest airfare to Frankfurt from the U.S.?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I've often found NYC to have pretty competitive fares to western Europe since it's such a large market, though I can't speak to FRA specifically, or to your timeframe - which if you're talking the Christmas-New Years period may be a factor too.

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Oddly enough I've usually found there is often no correlation between the flights with the cheapest price and the flights with award seats available. Can be frustrating when doing what you're hoping to do.
That's often been my experience too, it seems. If the OP's party of 4 can be split up such that they could actually depart from different cities entirely, this would provide the max flexibility for a mix-and-max like this.

Also the suggestions above about trains to FRA are definitely worth checking. As are some of the low cost carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.