Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Hotels: Cash or Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Cheap Hotels: Cash or Card?

Okay,

This may be covered elsewhere, and it didn't come up in a brief search.

When traveling on business, obviously I don't stay at the Intercontinental. I look for a cheap motel that isn't filled with oil crews (although during the working season, crews tend not to be as rowdy as they are on payday) or I've been warned about by other salesmen.

What is your preferred method. Pay cash and angle for a discount (after all, sometimes the owner slips you a key and gives you 20% off, which goes straight into his pocket) or pay with a CC and flash a business card, looking for a corporate rate? Assume you are being reimbursed by work (I'm employed at a family firm, so they basically tell me to do whatever I need to do to get a cheap rate).

This is for absolute low ball motels. I don't care about a Hilton or even a Motel 6. I care about, "Jim-Bob's Family Highway Motel" where I can get 8 hours sleep, get up, have a hot shower, drop the key in the box and get moving. Not chain hotels. Hotels where the owner is the desk clerk and his 12 year old boy is the housekeeper. Hotels where the clerk/owner has absolute discretion as to what you are charged.

So, CC with a corporate rate, or cash and hope the owner cuts you a deal?

C.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Incoming from the FLAME-FREE Information Desk... please reply accordingly.

One of my fellow mods will please redirect the thread again if this forum is less than optimal...

Thanks!

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:10 am

Call first

Always call the independent motel first. Even if you call from their parking lot. More than once I've called and gotten one rate and been quoted a higher rate when I walked in, before I reminded them of the rate they gave on the phone.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I agree with davemha, but why not when you get to the place simply ask which would get you the better deal - cash or card? Still displaying a willingness to walk away.

The motel person knows perfectly well the %s credit cards cost him/her, and the values of the other options.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.