Reload this Page >

Hostels vs Couchsurfing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hostels vs Couchsurfing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:06 pm

Soon to be the first time using either. When using hostels, are most using Hostelworld.com ?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by retiring
Soon to be the first time using either. When using hostels, are most using Hostelworld.com ?
I've more often gone through Hosteling International .

Nothing against Hostelworld, but I like the reviews and detail in HI.

Romelle
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:20 pm

Great thanks for the information, appreciate it!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by retiring
Or hostelbookers, there are quite a few sites which will show both. Not a fan of HI.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I usually use Hostelworld, and I think the review system there works quite fine. Hostels from HI usually show up there as well. HI usually have only one or a few hostels in every city, so I don't exactly see how an improved review system helps if you don't have a choice anyways + you miss out on a lot of potentially better and possibly even cheaper hostels. Although I'm aware of couchsurfing, I've actually never thought about it when planning a trip. I'm going to keep it in mind for the future though.
What I sometimes do is use Hostelworld to find hostels in a city, and then google the name. If the hostel have a website, you might be able to book them cheaper there, or at least with more flexibility for the same price (if not, I'll book through HW of course). Shaved a few €€€ off an upcoming trip this way the other day (HW would show the cheapest available flexible rate for one hostel; another one simply offered reductions through their own website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.