Help with Europe on a budget

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Europe on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
No matter what SAS max size/weight is .... I seriously suggest just taking a carry-on - roller bag or backpack.

Rule of thumb - never pack more than you can easily lift over your head. Something like 20-25 pounds for me. I can comfortably get my luggage up in an overhead bin.

You'll save time not waiting for checked-baggage. You won't need to hunt down one of those carts or porters. Carry-ons don't get lost. No extra fees.

Taking it a step further, I usually hang onto a items of clothing that are almost shot. I wear them over on the airline, and then toss them. Also pack socks that are only good for one more wear. They get that in Europe, and then get tossed. This strategy leaves space on the return for new purchases.

And even further, don't take quite enough clothes. Then actually wear those souvenir t-shirts while there, and any other new clothing you purchase.

Tiny travel-size toiletries, if any. Europe really is pretty civilized. You don't need to take a lot of "just in case" stuff.

Dublin - the Book of Kells is amazing. For that matter, so are Guiness and Jameson tours. The scones are wonderful.

Romelle
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Leippra2
Do you recommend using SAS air? I am still trying to figure out their baggage situation. It looks like the if I go the SAS Go we each get 1 bag up to 62" (hxwxd) and 50 lbs. for flights between Europe cities. Can anyone confirm? Also do you recommend taking the train/ferry to Ireland. We thought it would be a good way to see some of United Kingdom and give us a down day after 3 days of touring London. Or would you recommend flying?
With SAS you will get one item of checked luggage for free, no problems there (but on such a trip, I would agree with Romelle that you don't want to be carrying too much stuff around).

There seems to be 3 airlines that fly between Dublin and Copenhagen directly that you might want to look into: SAS, Norwegian and Aer Lingus.
With SAS you can collect Star Alliance points, and they seem to have some really cheap flights on the days you are looking at (maybe not the correct times though. Tickets include luggage but no food or drinks.
With Norwegian you would have to pay for luggage, food and drinks, but could get free wifi (most planes equipped).
With Aer Lingus' cheapest tickets you need to pay for checked luggage.

I have never taken the ferry/train trip to Dublin, but it does look like a nice way to do it. The good part is that the price is set, it is an easy trip and you could rest for a while on the train/boat, but it does take a long time, most of the day in some cases.
I would maybe get up early, take the first train out of London at 06:36, the sun should rise at 05:30 in August, so you should be able to see outside if the weather is good, and you still have the whole afternoon to visit Dublin and maybe rest at the hotel a bit (or the pub!). But if you are not used to geting up this early it could really wear you out.

On the other hand you could fly, there are plenty of flights just with Ryanair between London (Luton, Stansted and Gatwick) and Dublin, when looking at the price, don't forget to consider the cost of extra luggage and getting to the airports (and the time it will take to get there).
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:04 pm
sfx

Originally Posted by Romelle
You'll save time not waiting for checked-baggage. You won't need to hunt down one of those carts or porters. Carry-ons don't get lost. No extra fees.
SAS, Air Lingus don't charge extra for checked bags.

If it is free, just check it in, saves you breaking your neck trying to lift and stow, and having to wear three coats.

At Copenhagen you'll be lucky to get to the reclaim before your luggage, very efficient airport.

Never seen a porter at a Europe airport.

Ferry is a good way to get from UK to Ireland if you plan on a driving tour.

And please, don't wear your new souvenir t-shirts when out in Europe. Sure way to attract hassle if it is around.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sfx
SAS, Air Lingus don't charge extra for checked bags.
That is not true for Aer Lingus. With the cheapest fare, the checked luggage is available to purchase, costs from 20€ for 15kg:
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

The two commonest mistakes that travellers make are trying to see/do too much in too little time and packing too much.

I don't recommend moving any oftener than every 4 nights and packing any more than 25 lbs.

When someone writes about something being too heavy to lift over your head or having to wear three jackets on board, you know they have a packing problem.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:08 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Try looking at B&Bs instead of hostels. While a family of 4 would get you an affordable quad room in a hostel, it can also get you more a comfortable environment, better night's sleep and better food at a B&B for a similar price.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
I'll be doing some of the ugly early-morning flights to maximize my time this summer, but there is another option that I haven't seen mentioned at all here: Late evening flights. These are my preference since I can spend a half-day or more in a city then head to the airport. With luggage lockers and similar services widely available in Europe, it's not difficult to do, especially if you travel light. It allows you to have a bit of extra time in a city while not requiring absurd 3am wake-up calls. Sure, it's a long day, but it's a very efficient way to squeeze in a bit of extra time.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:46 am
sfx

because...budget accommodation often has curfews of 10/11pm... if your plane is delayed no place to kip. And wondering around new cities in the dark isn't the best plan.

Also, with most last flights departing 7/8pm, you need to be at the airport 5/6, plus an hour to get there... 4pm...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sfx
Also, with most last flights departing 7/8pm, you need to be at the airport 5/6, plus an hour to get there... 4pm...
You just proved mtvesuvius's point, and more Get almost a full day before leaving.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:58 am
sfx

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You just proved mtvesuvius's point, and more Get almost a full day before leaving.
well, new time isn't being created. just depends on weather traveller is a morning or evening kinda person....
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:04 pm

Although I am not going to advocate for huge suitcases, there's often little merit in trying to be minimalist, except possibly if you are worried about shared hostel space. I've been on trips with and without carry-on-only luggage, and it made little difference to me either way (except I really like having clean clothes that have been laundered, rather than handwashed). If you plan to walk miles between your destinations, for sure be minimalist, but in most cases it really doesn't matter.

I do aim to check only one item on Ryanair or EasyJet, though (so less than 15 kg for that, and then you take one item on board, if the rules are the same as they were before). I guess that's minimalist to some, but I just don't see much point in trying to do with less than that.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:56 am

london to italy - i would fly. ryanair or easy jet sometimes are cheaper than british airways.

london is expensive. italy won't be as bad, but in the cities again expensive. rome is beautiful. good found. lots of old stuff to look at. florence and the surrounding area is lovely as well.

not sure about travelling between italy and amsterdam. i would try and fly for longer journeys. however it is the school holidays, people book well in advance and prices will be higher
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
We are planning a three-week trip to Europe going to Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Paris, Geneva, Florence, Rome, Venice, Schwangau, Munich, Prague, and Berlin.

Our budget is $2,800 per person without the airfare. $600 to rent a standard size Audi A4 TDi or Skoda Superb TDi for three weeks. 4,900 miles total and car gets 50 mpg. With gas at $7.10 per gallon, we expect to spend $700 for gas.

No restaurants, we'll be stopping at supermarkets for food and eating while driving to the next city. Hotels will be much cheaper since we'll stay the night before the city, enjoy the city all day long, and get a hotel after the city. That alone shaved off quite a bit.

Having a car makes it much more convenient.

Of course, I will be having the handy Priceline and Hotwire app on my phone along with Hotels. That way, I can look for hotels while on the road. That'll be great.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:02 pm

Yikes, the parking costs for that itinerary, though! Also, you will have to be very careful in some areas to avoid driving in areas where you do not have a permit in order to avoid a rather large fine.

I can't imagine hitting 12 major, intensely interesting, and rather farflung places in 21 days (probably more like 19 with flight days).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel
more like 19 with flight days
You'd be shocked by the number of amateur travelers who don't get this concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.