Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

NOLA 1st timer - BudgetTips and Time savers

Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, American, Marriott, UA MP, Skymiles, Hyatt, HiltonHonors, SPG

My long awaited trip to NOLA comes to fruition in Feb 2014 - after redeeming miles for airfare, and trying out Air Bnb for the first time as a traveler.
Will be there for the Krewe de Vieux and am asking for advice on experiencing the parade -navigating the crowds - best place on the route, etc.

Also interested in frugal ways to go about transportation for sight seeing and exploring.

PLanning to peruse the groupon type sites for NO as well as Yelp for low cost dining out --

I would like to splurge on a quality meal once or twice as well.

I am looking to explore on foot or bike a lot, and would not mind seeing some of the areas shown in the HBO series Treme.

My accommodations are in the Bywater.

Thank you in advance, I am doing a plethora of research , but respect this forum and the value the advice given.

Last edited by sydneysandiego; Apr 19, 2015 at 12:51 am
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've been to Krewe de Vieux a couple of times recently. Once I watched from the Elysian Fields neutral ground area; I liked that spot. The other time, we were were at Kerelec St; that was much more crowded and cramped, but had the advantage of the R Bar right there for beverages & bathrooms (as they say, "ain't no where to pee on Mardi Gras Day")... Of course, New Orleans lenient alcohol laws mean you can save money and BYO beverage to the parade, in cups or cans, no glass.

I think a bike is a great way to get around the city, just look out for bad drivers and big potholes. Bike rentals can be expensive, around $30/day, but see if your Air BnB host can loan you one.

The streetcars are a good way to get around, and the buses are too, although they can run infrequently and not always on schedule. Info at norta.com.

If you liked Treme, I assume you're interested in music. Frenchmen St is a must see. The clubs there mostly have low cover charges, and some are free, including Spotted Cat (where many scenes were filmed). It'll be crazy packed on KdV night, so check it out another night too. Check offbeat.com in early February for complete music listings.

The Canal ferry, which played a memorable part in season one, is still free, though there may be a $2 fare by the time you get to town. It's a short ride but a great way to see the "good side of the city", the view from the River.

Quality meals don't have to mean expensive, there are a lot of great cheap eats in town. Since you're stating in the Bywater, try Elizabeth's for brunch. If you do want a splurge sort of meal, consider lunch, which can be a lot cheaper than dinner at many of the nicer spots in town.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much ! This is very much appreciated, I will save this info.

Oh yes,I agree, the cost of the meal does not always correlate with the quality -
I wanted to open up suggestions to include places with that are non budget friendly too. I want to try it all.

Probably not going to buy "souvenirs". But if I am there shopping a bit along the way -- what is something that is interesting/unique I should consider (for myself, not friends/family) ?
Most of the time, stuff people buy are things they could get in any big city, or online in ebay
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
My experience is a bit dated, but Commander's Palace was quite good for a splash-out meal (I think they're the definitive Creole-food place, with outstanding service). Would definitely check the TripAdvisor restaurant rankings with an eye toward creole, cajun and maybe generic southern...usually u want to see both a high ranking and a large number of reviews there (I'd say at least 20). During Mardi Gras the touristy places can get packed out, so having mobility and good plans for something off the beaten track can pay off.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Ua, ba, delta
Stay in the tourist areas and away from the projects. Not that far apart.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Wink Rabbit food and Heavy savory fare

Thank you! I appreciate a starting point -- jumping into all my travel mags, ratings, guides with nothing more than my food preferences leads me into an overwhelmed state.
I'd rather peruse a few places that have recommended and decide when i am there -- and make a reservation for later in my trip.
Ill be there several weeks before mardi gras. seeing the parade that sat is the only thing touristy I plan to do -- wandering the different hoods and seeing some history, jazz and local cuisine is the main focus for me. I am fit and will walk alot, take cabs back home at night, try a street car once or twice and use a bike a few times -
I am not real into having to lock up the bike, and return to where I left it -I'd rather walk or run. But what do you mean by mobility?

I want to see the projects. I want to see the lower 9th.

But not if it's disrespectful. on the red bus in NYC, we went through harlem and the locals yelled at the bus. we were just going through, not stopping!
and I am female, traveling solo so I guess I can't go there.
Maybe I''ll hire a local bouncer to walk around with me for a day.
j/k

Food - I want to try local cusine, and good unhealthy food .
I'll forgo my 90% vegan diet for travel/trying new things in a heartbeat.

But would like to have some healthy rabbit food and snacks to keep my energy up - any good health food stores like trader joes, sprouts, or a farmer's market or veg dining that you recommend?
Doesnt have to be in Bywater, where I am staying - I can cab it back with my groceries haul that first day.

Thank you again, for your time reading this, and for commenting.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sydneysandiego
I want to see the projects.
Look at them from a distance @:-)

I am an adventurous traveler, but it is not a good idea to go to projects by yourself, I would not do it. I did when I was young and dumb, but would not do it today.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Yelp was a huge help when I was there. French Quarter is fantastic.

There's an iPhone app called Happy Hours. This thing was awesome while we were there, pointing us to great HH's, the ones with food were especially great ($1 oysters and 50% off wine at a 4-star resto, etc!).

NOLA is great, enjoy!

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 12, 2013 at 8:37 am Reason: Correcting info: it's not Frenchman's Quarter
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Around Mardi Gras, on some of the less famous days there are neighborhood celebrations and some unique events, such as a parade of dogs (and other pets?) in costume. Try to watch something from a residential neighborhood rather than the area around Canal Street. It's even better if you know some locals; maybe your AirBnB host can connect you to something of this nature.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:23 pm

Most of the projects have been razed and rebuilt. The places that produced Master P, Juvenile, etc no longer exist.

Do not go to the lower 9th etc alone or at night or without being in a vehicle. The crime story here can't be told by statistics, it is very localized to these neighborhoods, which means those neighborhoods generate 90% of the crime. Treme isn't as romantic as HBO may portray it (stopped watching it because I thought it was terrible).

That parade is a local favorite so it is a good one to see. Frenchmen street is a good suggestion, but also make your way Uptown and Midcity. Have fun.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:51 am
Original Poster

the parade of pets is so greatly specific to my interest -- although it may not be worth the time/crowds if I am seeing other parades.
could you please tell me the name or date of such parade of pets ?
thank you.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Around Mardi Gras, on some of the less famous days there are neighborhood celebrations and some unique events, such as a parade of dogs (and other pets?) in costume. Try to watch something from a residential neighborhood rather than the area around Canal Street. It's even better if you know some locals; maybe your AirBnB host can connect you to something of this nature.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You mentioned Groupon. I've gotten good deals through them, but one lesson in Washington, DC. For a visit there, we bought ahead of time through Groupon one of those All You Can Ride tour bus deals.

When we got there, we learned there are actually several other bus companies doing the same thing, and one of them had a different route that could have worked better for us. Those other lines at least seemed to run more frequently too.

But the deal we bought tossed in a harbor tour we liked. Mixed feelings here, so all I really want to say is to check your options before plunging in on the Groupon deals.

Romelle
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by sydneysandiego
the parade of pets is so greatly specific to my interest -- although it may not be worth the time/crowds if I am seeing other parades.
could you please tell me the name or date of such parade of pets ?
thank you.
Mystic Krewe of Barkus
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Romelle
You mentioned Groupon. I've gotten good deals through them, but one lesson in Washington, DC. For a visit there, we bought ahead of time through Groupon one of those All You Can Ride tour bus deals.

When we got there, we learned there are actually several other bus companies doing the same thing, and one of them had a different route that could have worked better for us. Those other lines at least seemed to run more frequently too.

But the deal we bought tossed in a harbor tour we liked. Mixed feelings here, so all I really want to say is to check your options before plunging in on the Groupon deals.

Romelle
thank you! Yes, for groupon type deals I am always cautiously optimistic.
whether it be a massage - and they charge a mandatory redemption "fee" of twenty dollars
plus mandatory 20% gratuity ending in almost a hundred dollars of unanticipated spending.

also,I HAVE bought one for use in nola - 30 dollars' worth of po boys
so that's 4 days of lunch for me.

plus all the limits of what to order, hours, and minimum spend! and the worst of them- dine in only! when all you want to do is pick up tasty food and lounge in your hotel in pjs or dont want to dine with all the kiddos with powerful lungs.

thank you again, I am looking at tours next so this is spot on timely advice.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Guide books - they are free at your local library. I've even checked them out and taken them with me on trips.

Lonely Planet and Rough Guide seem to have the best budget tips. Rick Steves sometimes. Lots of other good ones for just dreaming and researching while you are waiting for your trip to start.

For maps and directions, I've had the best luck with Lonely Planet.

Romelle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.