Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Bought 2 seats for myself on Bolt Bus, and was not treated well by fellow passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bought 2 seats for myself on Bolt Bus, and was not treated well by fellow passengers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
They most definitely can and as a TA I've sold tickets this way.
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
That is absolutely not true in most cases. I have bought two seats on the same flight on several occasions and airlines. Never had an issue.
tcook052 already addressed that.

Thread about that in UA forum, possibly others.

IIRC it's GG EXTRASEAT for agents.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
When you think about it, transportation companies should appreciate passengers who want to buy two tickets for one individual. The passenger and his or her luggage are still likely to weigh less than two passengers and two sets of luggage, so the transportation provider has lower fuel costs. And arguably, there is some small amount of risk potential attached to each customer. One less customer equals one unit of reduced risk.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
When you think about it, transportation companies should appreciate passengers who want to buy two tickets for one individual. The passenger and his or her luggage are still likely to weigh less than two passengers and two sets of luggage, so the transportation provider has lower fuel costs. And arguably, there is some small amount of risk potential attached to each customer. One less customer equals one unit of reduced risk.
I don't think the extra passenger's weight matter at all on a BUS.
And although transporting one less needy passenger is good, what if there are people who cannot fit on the bus simply because someone bought an entire row for himself? They will cause much more disruption than an extra normal passenger if you don't let them board. Ergo, if you are the bus driver you let them board. It's as simple as that.

I think most long distance bus companies still allow on-board ticketing. At least Flixbus does, looking at their website, which is a major bus company in Europe. It's of course different if a company wouldn't allow it.

You can also book your trips on the phone by contacting our customer service line (+49 30 300 137 300*), at our ticket outlets/travel agencies or directly with the bus driver. Please note that on the bus, you will pay the normal price (for adults and children) and will only be able to purchase a ticket if there are free spaces available. Special and reduced prices as well as group discounts are no longer available when purchasing on the bus, unfortunately. The receipt for cash payments at the bus also serves as the ticket/booking confirmation.
On an airplane, yes the extra passenger's weight does matter a bit more. And you can't just exactly walk through security, walk onto the tarmac, up the stairs then buy your plane ticket. Ergo: you will never be able to see if there were free spaces or not if you never fly.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bakpapier

I think most long distance bus companies still allow on-board ticketing. At least Flixbus does, looking at their website, which is a major bus company in Europe. It's of course different if a company wouldn't allow it.
While I don't know this for a fact, I'm willing to bet that Megabus and Greyhound will NOT sell you a ticket on the bus (and I'm not a betting man).

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Ergo: you will never be able to see if there were free spaces or not if you never fly.
Au contraire, Flight status and information page at United.com will give EXCELLENT info of just which seat is available about an hour or two before departure (not as accurate before that). And even better AFTER departure for about 24 hours. Don't fly AA enough to know how accurate their seatmap is, and don't fly Delta at all.

Decided to Google, and I can confirm you CANNOT buy Megabus tickets on the bus.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by EmailKid
While I don't know this for a fact, I'm willing to bet that Megabus and Greyhound will NOT sell you a ticket on the bus (and I'm not a betting man).

Au contraire, Flight status and information page at United.com will give EXCELLENT info of just which seat is available about an hour or two before departure (not as accurate before that). And even better AFTER departure for about 24 hours. Don't fly AA enough to know how accurate their seatmap is, and don't fly Delta at all.
Yes of course, but I was talking about people buying themselves 2 seats for whatever reason. If you would chec k the seat map online that extra seat would be shown as 'occupied'.

While if you enter a bus and ask for a ticket, , you can look in the bus and see there's one emptyt spot, and if the bus driver then tells you 'sorry we're full' you can say 'but cant i sit right over there' and then the bus driver would have to say ' no because he bought himself two seats' and an argument would start.

So most bus drivers would just let that person sit on that seat.
Decided to Google, and I can confirm you CANNOT buy Megabus tickets on the bus.
Well then you can probably buy yourself two seats on that company and not be bothered by people filling up your seat.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do many bus operators have rows with single seats, and or reserved seats?

do any without reserved seats have better policies re buying extra seats?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do many bus operators have rows with single seats, and or reserved seats?

do any without reserved seats have better policies re buying extra seats?
The only one I have ever seen is California Shuttle Bus, which allows you to block off the seat next to you for a small fee. But their seats are all reserved.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by SheWolf62
So I'm honestly confused. I bought 2 seats as well & was made to give up my empty seat for a passenger.
Does the fact that I bought 2 seats not matter? (I proved it, had the 2 etickets)
Is there fine print saying I have to give it up even if I bought 2 seats? (I don't think so, I looked but of course I could be wrong)
With me it wasn't the pax, but the driver who pitched a fit & again, I'm not getting it. Why does it become my problem if your company overbooked the bus? That means they've been paid twice for my 2nd seat, & while I don't care about the $12, I do care that I didn't get what I paid for.
I finally relented & gave up the seat because the driver got increasingly irate (I stayed calm & had both tickets prominently displayed ). I felt like he might kick me off the bus; but I really am confused as to what's right here.
If I'm made to give up the seat, why did I get it in the 1st place, if having the extra seat wasn't going to do me any good?
I am curious, what the OP would say if he boarded the bus and every seat had single occupancy remaining (because people dont volunteer to sit together by choice). Would he ask for volunteers to move to sit together?

Bolt bus IS allowed to resell the seat for no shows. It is part of the pricing model, their tickets start at $12. If they had to reserve seats for every ticket sold, there would be fewer tickets sold and undoubtedly the ticket price would imcrease as a result. For those that dont like this pricing model you are more than welcome to rent a taxi or private van or start your own bus company.

Megabus has a policy of allowing people to buy 2 reservations in order to bring a second stowed bag. The policy doesnt state whether it comes with extra seating so I would imagine this gets left to everyone's self interpretation.

If I were the driver I wouldnt give special treatment to someone who paid double. Id make sure more people boarded. Customer service in that industry should be about making more satisfied customers rather than about appealing to the select few disposable income types that are going to have the option to leave anyway the first time something with the bus doesnt confirm to their higher expectations.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:46 am

I didn't know you could buy two seats on Bolt. BoltBus in DC has become expensive lately so I usually opt for Megabus. I think I will try the 2 seat thing next time I'm visiting NYC.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I started doing the 2-seat thing in Thailand when they said I had to put a carry-on item in the baggage hold, and the "bin" space on the bus itself was so narrow that only something like a purse would fit up there.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
I started doing the 2-seat thing in Thailand when they said I had to put a carry-on item in the baggage hold, and the "bin" space on the bus itself was so narrow that only something like a purse would fit up there.
OOOOH, do tell (details).

Coming back in three weeks, and it never occurred to me that this would be possible.

Remember that on buses that I took you were assigned seat numbers, and you can obviously BUY two seats, but on many popular routes there are people waiting for the next bus when current one is full.

OTOH, since seats are pre assigned, this should be doable, but would appreciate first hand experience.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
Good strategy. I'm the same, I do not like to sit next to strangers, also I have a bad back injury - and especially for a long period of time I can't stand sitting next to someone. It's why I actually spend extra to fly in business class. I do this a lot on trains and public transport in general - kinda put my bag on the seat. I cannot stand when there's available seats and someone decides they wanna sit next to me.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OOOOH, do tell (details).

Coming back in three weeks, and it never occurred to me that this would be possible.

Remember that on buses that I took you were assigned seat numbers, and you can obviously BUY two seats, but on many popular routes there are people waiting for the next bus when current one is full.

OTOH, since seats are pre assigned, this should be doable, but would appreciate first hand experience.
I should add the caveat that I usually go on the well-traveled short routes where they can add buses at peak periods. Sometimes rather than having a bus number (e.g. 48-15) it just reads "spare." That takes some of the pressure off.

I always put my carry-on bag next to me...it's a zippered duffel-type roughly the size the airlines allow and more malleable. The bins aren't usually wide enough to hold it and it's too fragile (and often too "valuable' in that some stuff could be stolen) to put in the hold. I've also had a time or two where the bus hit a rainstorm and water got into the hold.

Never any problems at the ticket counter...if you say 2 they assume it'll be together in the same row or they'll bump you down to the next bus. It sometimes confuses the conductor (who thinks a passenger is missing), though I put both tickets on the bag so she'll see.

It's also much better to do with the non-stop routes...the orange ones that pick up people along the way don't work well with that.

Have also seen some VIP buses on the Isaan intercity routes where it isn't necessary (i.e. you get the wide seat and 3 to a row). I once bought 2 when I didn't have to on one of those and ended up with the front 2 on the top level of a VIP double-decker bus (Khon Kaen to Khorat, IIRC)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
Sometimes rather than having a bus number (e.g. 48-15) it just reads "spare." That takes some of the pressure off.

I always put my carry-on bag next to me...it's a zippered duffel-type roughly the size the airlines allow and more malleable. The bins aren't usually wide enough to hold it and it's too fragile (and often too "valuable' in that some stuff could be stolen) to put in the hold.
You are right, there is virtually no room up above. Never saw spare, and for whatever reason I tend to look at these numbers.

I don't trust things in hold to be there when I get off, so usually end up with lager backpack in the floor (in the aisle if I have that seat) and the smaller one in my lap.

Leaving in two weeks for my positioning flight, and will take one of these after I arrive, hopefully early enough to catch ARL from BKK.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWithKaeMarie
Good strategy. I'm the same, I do not like to sit next to strangers, also I have a bad back injury - and especially for a long period of time I can't stand sitting next to someone. It's why I actually spend extra to fly in business class. I do this a lot on trains and public transport in general - kinda put my bag on the seat. I cannot stand when there's available seats and someone decides they wanna sit next to me.
so what do you do if there are no seats left and people are standing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.