Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in an Airport on a Budget

Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by geirfugl
RE : Oslo airport hotels,there is a Thon hotel with airport shutle regularly charging less than 600 (70 Euro) NOK,with a Norwegian bufe breakfast,the shuttle is 70 NOK each way.Its in the midle of nowhere,but absolutely OK for a night.Dont know if there are shuttles realy,realy early,though.

If your a member of Thon hotels loyalty program or GHA,you even get points for staying.
Then we're already talking about 740 NOK per night (well over 90 euro). That's quite much to be on a (low) budget. By the way, here are the time tables for the shuttle buses: http://www.nettbuss.no/rutetilbud/fl...gardermoen-osl
Seems like you can be at the airport before 5AM in most cases.

ps. Although OSL technically operates a non-sleeping policy, there is still a few places left you may want to try in the airport. Places are very limited and taken very early. The first you may try is the lounge seats. Go to arrivals and walk to the end of the terminal. Or just turn left after getting through customs on arrival by plane. I also found some people sleeping on the seats of the Starbucks and Peppe's Pizza (also arrival level). Some people even tried the rubber mats at the children's playground (between arrivals and the train station).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I did this in Lima, Peru.....Also, the only hotel at or near the airport is a very expensive Ramada that is basically low end but charges over $200 a night for these typically 4-5 hour overnight stays.
Not true. There are indeed hotels, hostals etc. very near LIM. For example on Av. Fawcett to the E. of Jorge Chavez there are hotels in the barrio. This is easily walkable from the front of the airport, about ~800m distance from the parking lot gate or so. On one recent trip involving a very short overnight - which I was not going to use Marriott points for - I found one of these bandit dens, with the neon sign above, the narrow cubicle and grated entrance, no internet/TV/facilities. I slept in a bare concrete room - but surprisingly with hot running water and a clean concrete shower - for 10 PES. Nothing was stolen and nothing bad happened except I couldn't figure out what time I woke up - although I admit, I kept my important docs under my head
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:08 am

I really don't want to sleep in airports but if you really need to, you should at least try to stay comfortable and maybe use the lounge areas.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm still contemplating JFK. Flight arrives at 9:30pm and can check-in for my next one around 5am or so and then hit a lounge.
Have a HIX booked for $186 / 115 but doesn't seem overly worth it for a little over 5 hours after travelling back and forth, waiting for any checked baggage etc.

Secondary option was to head into Queens and stay at a hostel for the time but that would take a good couple of hours on the AirTrain and subway (would waste some time for $11 or so each way I suppose)

May see if I can check my bag on the flight into JFK through to my destination the following day as this would save my dragging it around.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Not true. There are indeed hotels, hostals etc. very near LIM. For example on Av. Fawcett to the E. of Jorge Chavez there are hotels in the barrio. This is easily walkable from the front of the airport, about ~800m distance from the parking lot gate or so. On one recent trip involving a very short overnight - which I was not going to use Marriott points for - I found one of these bandit dens, with the neon sign above, the narrow cubicle and grated entrance, no internet/TV/facilities. I slept in a bare concrete room - but surprisingly with hot running water and a clean concrete shower - for 10 PES. Nothing was stolen and nothing bad happened except I couldn't figure out what time I woke up - although I admit, I kept my important docs under my head
This makes me glad I slept on the airport floor instead. I don't think I'd care to risk that ~half mile walk with my valuables with me at 1 AM, and then again at 5 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:48 am

Never had any serious issues. Have sleep at bkk,anc,hkg,ams,fai,and ord. only interesting experience was anc, sleeping on floor in open area and woke up a couple of hours later to find area with 30 other people. lot of late flights at anc. check out sleeping at airports website.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:40 am

Did a night at MAO (Manaus, Brazil), would definitely not recommend...
Airside is always overcrowded with departures 24 hours a day and barely a seat to be found, despite not being allowed to clear security until 3 hours before your flight. Landside seating is mostly limited to the food court, so not very comfortable for sleeping. The limited seats available all had the built-in armrests. Also with the need to be careful about your belongings, it's difficult to get a good night's rest. Luckily there were several of us so someone was always awake at some point during the night.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
I did it only once at Madrid (in the dodgy old terminals), and would probably never do it again.
I had my first airport overnight there as well... and those old terminals sure do a good job of convincing you not to repeat the experience.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Well, I'm checking out T5 at JFK at present and yes JetBlue are kindly providing free WiFi although a bit flaky behind the escalators.
The 24 hour Dunkin' Donuts is closed - might be because it's Saturday night?
Toilets are closed for cleaning.

T4 has an open 24hr diner on the arrivals level and there appears to be a Hudson News shop open as well.

Quite a few people about through the terminals either waiting, sleeping or doing other things.

Checked my bag at T8 around 3:30am and through security 15 mins later after a large number of people suddenly appeared. There's a coffee shop open and some food bits on the arrivals level again.
Nothing really open airside. No Admirals Club until 4:15 and cafes etc. shut.

Last edited by xenole; Nov 9, 2014 at 1:58 am
Old May 6, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
If you're respectful of the surroundings, you can sleep in an airport. I've slept 90 degrees on a table, on the floor... All to save money.

I'd bring a neck pillow and a blanket.

Air mattress is lame. Don't do that.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flipstah
If you're respectful of the surroundings, you can sleep in an airport. I've slept 90 degrees on a table, on the floor... All to save money.

I'd bring a neck pillow and a blanket.

Air mattress is lame. Don't do that.
Not always. Some airports close at night.

Check the sleeping in airports website.
Old May 9, 2015, 2:08 am

for me, it wouldn't be the comfort i would be worried about, it would be security of my possessions

That alone would prevent me from falling asleep

If i had to, i would choose a clean disabled toilet you can lock
Old May 12, 2015, 6:09 pm

I have done this several times, never had an issue. I sleep on top of whatever I check, and I never carry more than one bag n, so i don't have too much to keep up with. With busy airports, like my home airport of ATL, there are a number of security officers roaming around, plenty of night time workers, and tons of travelers who are also asleep.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The discriminant for me is airside vs landside.
Still risks do exist airside, but with virtually no external presences I'd feel way more safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.