Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Airfare SFO->NRT in December

Old May 6, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Global Entry

Hi all--we are planning to go to Japan this coming winter 12/21-1/3. We were getting quite excited until we saw the airfare...RT nonstop from SFO to NRT is going for over $1800 pp. If we are willing to make a stop in LAX, it is now going for around $1500 pp. Last Dec my son and I made a last minute trip to Osaka and it was about $1800 pp but I was not surprised since it was a last minute trip. I thought it would be lower if we purchase early but apparently it is not the case. Is this pretty much the price range for going to Japan in December? I am sure we will bite the bullet and pay since we really want to go, but ouch! What did you pay when you went in December in the past? I want to book directly with the airline to earn miles and prefer not to use those third party sites. Please share your insights and experience. Thank you!
Old May 6, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I've seen a lot of fares quite a bit higher compared to last year. e.g. Going from SEA-PVG in June/July/part of August are pricing out at over $2000.00 in coach for most airlines. Even 60 days or more out.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's too early for any deep discounts, but this is also a year in which many experts are predicting substantial increases between now and the end of the year. It's all about your risk tolerance.

If you wait and fares are stable, you are no worse off. If you wait and fares drop, you have gained. But, if you wait and fares shoot up to $2,300+, can you still manage?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.