FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Unbelievable cruise prices (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1331684-unbelievable-cruise-prices.html)

thebug622 Apr 2, 2012 11:28 am

Unbelievable cruise prices

Costco Travel has a 13 day New Orleans- Barcelona cruise on Norwegian April 15 for as low as $31.24 per day per person dbl ($406),or 11 days from Miami to Barcelona for $37.19 PP dbl ($409)

sonofzeus Apr 3, 2012 5:26 am

inside cabins on repositioning cruises are always cheap.

let us know when they include airfare and comprehensive insurance for no extra charge.

tentseller Apr 3, 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 18324915)

let us know when they include airfare and comprehensive insurance for no extra charge.

The catch is the expensive one way airfare back home when you are buying with such short lead time. This will eat up most of your savings.
TATL re-positioning usually has quite a few at sea day

They are selling empty rooms (sunk cost) on a ship that must sail the "re-positioning itinerary" to Europe.

jcmitchell21 Apr 3, 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 18325026)
The catch is the expensive one way airfare back home when you are buying with such short lead time. This will eat up most of your savings.

They are selling empty rooms (sunk cost) on a ship that must sail the "re-positioning itinerary" to Europe.

What does sea day mean?

tentseller Apr 3, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 18325355)
What does sea day mean?

"at sea day": day(s) where you are sailing and confined to the ship.

Usual Atlantic crossing is 6 days or 3/3 with a Bermuda stop. Each stop cost the cruise line money in port fee and taxes.
Some enjoy these days while others find them hard to deal with.

thebug622 Apr 3, 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 18324915)

So your a believer in a free dinner to go along with a free lunch ;)

sonofzeus Apr 3, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by thebug622 (Post 18326215)
So your a believer in a free dinner to go along with a free lunch ;)

Your title would describe my theoretical deal better than your everyday offer.

cordelli Apr 3, 2012 10:06 am

What a great way to get a project done without distractions. It has like ten days at sea. :D

Outside non balcony cabins are only $5 more per day.

Dieuwer Apr 3, 2012 10:30 am

Flying to Europe to catch a cruise home (e.g. Barcelona - Miami) is usually very affordable due to the cheap JFK-FRA flight operated by Singapore Airlines.

tentseller Apr 3, 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 18326437)
What a great way to get a project done without distractions. It has like ten days at sea. :D

Outside non balcony cabins are only $5 more per day.

Exactly, this is my bi-annual think tank session. One sailing to Europe and one sailing back. Cheaper with RT air ticket.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 18326610)
Flying to Europe to catch a cruise home (e.g. Barcelona - Miami) is usually very affordable due to the cheap JFK-FRA flight operated by Singapore Airlines.

Yes it is usually easy to get lower cost OW fares to other parts of Europe than the cruise ports. But the cost and hassle of getting 15 days worth of clothing from FRA airport to BCN port is not my cuppa.

However I buy BCN North American BCN RT ticket with a flexible return option. After flying back post spring eastbound cruise I fly back to BCN to catch the fall westbound trip.

printingray Apr 5, 2012 2:22 pm

Many cruises have offers on first come basis. These are special promotional prices and you have to book on live call. You can get additional discounts are available for groups booking.