Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Singapore to Hong Kong ideas?

Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.

Hello Pop Pickers!

Next month (March) I find myself needing to tie up one leg of a prolonged trip.

I arrive into Singapore at 18:45, and need to be in Hong Kong to pick up a flight the next day at 23:45.

I'd like to be in Hong Kong the next day lunchtime ish to meet a friend for a few hours.

My ideal scenario would possibly be to go straight to Hong Kong, but that doesn't seem possible that evening. Obviously the legacy carriers (SQ/CX) are top dollar for a one way (unless people know any tricks?). I was looking at 5th freedom rights (i.e. Continental) but they are expensive for a one way (shame) as are HK Airlines from what I can see. (I'm based in the UK, so if there are more local ways around it let me know). Interesting routings considered (as long as reliable and don't need a visa!).

I've kind of priced these in GB. Trying to spend less than 150 on whatever option I go for. I like interesting options! I have to add, on a Budget carrier I will add Emergency Exit Seating (i'm 6ft6) and will have 20kgs. So take this into account (which is why I like tricks on legacy carriers as I tend to get Emer Exits free)

- The first possible SIN-HKG flight is at 01:15 on Cathay - too expensive.
- CO flight at 05:15 - anti social and expensive for a one way (?)
- Jetstar Asia have a 06:30 (about 116 all in) / Tiger Airways 06:50 (86) - both are slightly early, but do able. I would need a hotel in Singapore though. Affordable. Years since I flew Tiger (I have another sector on them this trip) so would probably prefer Jetstar - but Tiger looking marginally better price vs time.
- HK Airlines at 07:40 - better time / airline - not reasonable for a one way (about 214).
- Airasia to KUL (25) night in Tunes hotel (35), then onto Hong Kong the next morning (98) - total 158 - including hotel
- Malaysia Airlines 175 (SIN-KUL-HKG) from Singapore at either 21:15 that evening or 06:45 the next morning. The 21:15 is an overnight flight, but I think the flight could be a killer sleepwise, and i'd be exhausted after arriving into HKG at that time. I'd probably prefer to fly into KL, and get a night at Tunes.

Anyway, i've also looked at flying via Bangkok, Kota Kinabalu. I know this might look a bit mental () but i've just looked at too many things and i'm confusing myself! So, does anyone have any alternate suggestions, or ways
to reduce costs on existing ideas (i.e. SQ/CX cheaper one ways?). Or should I rule out some things (i.e. i'm worried about Tiger Airways reliability). Or do I need professional help
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
If you or anybody you know has miles with BA (which can be transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards or Amex), a oneway from SIN to HKG on the direct CX flight is 10000 miles (assuming there is award availability). The taxes and fuel surcharges might add about $50 US to that.

Last edited by lexande; Feb 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:03 pm
Bukhara

oooooooooo

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you both! I'm coming into Singapore on Air Nuigini, so no real option to re-route!! I'm trying to route avoiding over nights - so as amazing as Cebu Pacific sound (and you were spot on - 150) - i'm not sure I can handle karaoke on an overnight flight! Although it sounds amazing!!! Also, I am not sure that a very tired me could deal with Manila (but I don't know the airport).

Although I was leaning towards the Air Asia option, i'm checking accommodation options in Singapore. If it's unreasonable - i'll do KL.

But - I'm checking the BA miles - I have a handful, but actually I barely use BA as I almost always fly East. But maybe there is a purchase option - so thanks for the tip, I'll report back! Any Tiger vs Jetstar preferences i'd be interested in!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:43 am

Smile Have you checked Jetstar and Tiger?

They both fly non-stop from SIN to HKG,and they're real low cost carriers.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Yeh, thanks, but i'm now looking in Avois. Can purchase enough miles for about 50, just seeing if I can transfer enough over from Tesco clubcard miles i've just reclaimed over the past 2 years... bit of research and Cathay could be cheaper than Tiger & Jetstar!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC
If the cost of a hotel in SIN is a factor, keep in mind that there are many quiet places to sleep in the terminals, or there are a couple of airside transit hotels that are not exorbitantly priced
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mavatar,

Just to say what I finally did was book a cheap room at Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore (which has a free shuttle when I arrive, and food courts opposite which is VERY important!) and the Tiger flight at 06:50 the next morning (and apparently a roughly S$10 taxi the next morning). All in all, its costing me about 160 with a decent nights sleep, so i'm happy enough (could have done with a longer sleep - but NO budget flights from 08:00 - 12:00!). And if Tiger do have a crisis i've plenty of time to organise alternative routes to Hong Kong (i.e. if they do cancel, I can't do their next flight so will have to sort out an alternative in Changi!).

I havn't used Changi's budget terminal since 2006. Will I require 2 hours check-in for the Tiger flight (I do have luggage to check-in?).

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:58 am

redeem some miles!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCruler
redeem some miles!
I did discover enough AVIOS to redeem onto CX, but I had made a promise for my daughter to take her on the London Eye so that had to take precedence!

She won't appreciate the sacrifices I make for her - my very early rise and need to use Tiger over Cathay!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Trying to spend less than 150 on whatever option I go for.

- Jetstar Asia have a 06:30 (about 116 all in) / Tiger Airways 06:50 (86) - both are slightly early, but do able. I would need a hotel in Singapore though. Affordable. Years since I flew Tiger (I have another sector on them this trip) so would probably prefer Jetstar - but Tiger looking marginally better price vs time.

(i.e. i'm worried about Tiger Airways reliability).
Why not grab dinner in Singapore once you land and then head back to the airport? You can stay at the airport transit hotel (very affordable rates) and then catch the early Tiger Airways flight. From what I hear, their days of trouble are over.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I prefer Jetstar over Tiger but there's very little in it:

T1 is much nicer than the Budget Terminal
Jetstar's seats are a bit more comfortable
Jetstar's food selection is better
Jetstar let you have 10kg of cabin baggage, Tiger 7kg (and I have had my bag weighed several times)

Otherwise in terms of punctuality, service and value it's hard to choose between them - except when Jetstar is much more expensive, which on the SGN-SIN route happens quite often.

All else being equal I would usually book Jetstar due to the better hand luggage allowance. In reality, I fly more often on Tiger.

Tiger also once checked me in from the gate at SGN after I missed check-in (late connecting flight) - had no right to expect them to do that, so massive ^^^ for that.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Just thought i'd wrap this up - not sure if any help to anyone in future, but a thanks to those who advised.

I ended using Tiger for Macau - Singapore // Singapore - Hong Kong.

Both flights were on time, in clean and lovely planes. I had paid for Emergency Exits (window) and had oodles of space (i'm 6ft6(. The crew were lovely on both flights.

I bought a warm ham (turkey ham) and cheese croissant with coffee which was great (wish airlines would ban powdered milk though).

The budget terminal in Singapore i'd used before, but again was impressed with. Good Kopi Tiam for my 06:40am departure, queue's were long but moved quickly, people were friendly, and internet was free. I'm too used to being browbeaten by European lo-co's in ridiculous locations, challenging staff and rude immigration. Asian lo-co's remain a breath of fresh air in comparison.

The only thing i'd say is that I did have back up options planned in case of emergency as I had to be in my destinations that day for onward flights. Just as well, as I read a couple of days later a HKG-SIN Tiger flight diverted to Ho Chi Minh as they didn't have clearance for arrival into Singapore (according to passengers!), and remained there for a day or two. So, if you prepare for the unexpected - well, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised

And was so taken aback by the Grand Mercure Roxy in Singapore even posted a nice review on Trip Advisor. A good (near) airport hotel with some good deals (much cheaper than the Crowne Plaza anyway) - with free airport shuttle, and great food courts nearby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.