Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Caribbean for cheap - need help

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Wife and I are planning to go to the Caribbean (first visit), dates are flexible.
I looked around and saw all inclusive which is over $2000 for 2. Separate also isn't cheap.

Is there any months, dates, airlines I should be looking at to get low rates. I live in Delaware so I can fly from Philly, Baltimore or Atlantic City.

Also, which Island would be good? Looking for relaxation with some water activity, zipline etc.

Is all inclusive a good option?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:43 pm

All Inclusive isn't a good option. I flew from EWR(NeWark Liberty) to St Maarten for $ 400 Round Trip. There are plenty of hotels to chose from once you get there. I'd always like to get the cheapest one as I usually spend most of my time at the beach.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
After looking at hotel prices for each of the islands. I would say the Dominican Republic has the best hotel deals right now.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: None
This is high season, so certainly not the cheapest time to go.

I have a trip down to Aruba scheduled soon. The flight from Baltimore cost me $239/person one-way (hitting Cartagena before returning) and I booked accommodations through airbnb for $70/night (small one bedroom cottage). This doesn't include car rental or food & drink, of course.

Not saying you have to go the airbnb route, as it's not for everyone. But, maybe look beyond an all-inclusive?

Mike...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
I live part of the year in the North Coast of the DR so if you have any questions ask. Jetblue, AA and Continental fly to Puerto Plata. If you
want the North Coast you also can fly into Santiago which is about a 2 hour
bus ride. The buses here are very modern and comfortable and it's a pretty
ride. There also are cheap charters from Canada for a week at an A/I's.
If you don't do an A/I food is pretty cheap.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by anngi
I live part of the year in the North Coast of the DR so if you have any questions ask.
Anngi - you probably shouldn't have volunteered that But myself and that woman I married are most likely coming to DR in late June/early July. It's way too early for me to have any specific questions, but should I have any concerns about the timing other than heat?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Originally Posted by mattarse
Anngi - you probably shouldn't have volunteered that But myself and that woman I married are most likely coming to DR in late June/early July. It's way too early for me to have any specific questions, but should I have any concerns about the timing other than heat?
Sorry, haven't been checking this thread. Feel free to PM any questions.
I wouldn't worry about the timing. The water is very calm in June/July, no rain.
Hottest months are August and Sept.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.