Any experience with Airbnb?

Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have no issue with airbnb cancellation policies. None whatsoever. As you may be aware, many airbnb listings have no 3rd party authenticated reviews i.e. the guest who books at your place has to take (at face value) the reviews on the airbnb site!
This is the best system they could have. The reviews are honest. Airbnb has not edited any of my reviews, nor of the people who've stayed with me. And more importantly the reviewers have verified identities. That is way, way, better than the completely unreliable tripadvisor.

I have arrived at 2 airbnb stays where the accommodation was clearly unacceptable. Airbnb asked for pics & a description of the issues, then they refunded me the full amount - or - agreed to book alternative accommodation. What you may not know is I was not invited/allowed to write a review. That is fair (TA allows reviews, even if you did not stay there.)
All sounds correct to me. I'm sure Airbnb has taken care of those hosts, one way or another.

Any host who depends on AirBnb for income is bound to be disappointed. The fees you pay are substantial (3 %). I agree they are growing quickly, but what is your evidence they are "massively wealthy"? As a private for profit company, Airbnb is not req'd to provide SEC-standard financial statements. Recently, they delayed their IPO to pursue venture capital for expansion:
First of all, the hosts pay no fees whatsoever. The guests pay it all. As for their wealth, did you read the article you posted? $24 billion valuation?!?! Yes, they are fabulously wealthy and they day they do go public the valuation will be much higher.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by stimpy
First of all, the hosts pay no fees whatsoever. The guests pay it all. As for their wealth, did you read the article you posted? $24 billion valuation?!?! Yes, they are fabulously wealthy and they day they do go public the valuation will be much higher.
Always thought also the hosts have to pay fees (though lower). Am I wrong?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Always thought also the hosts have to pay fees (though lower). Am I wrong?
The cut that Airbnb takes is from the client. The host of course sets his price knowing that Airbnb will take 2 or 3 % but we don't have to send them any money. If for instance you as a host set your price as $100, and you really want to collect $100, you should set your price at $103 and Airbnb will take $3 and give you $100.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The cut that Airbnb takes is from the client. The host of course sets his price knowing that Airbnb will take 2 or 3 % but we don't have to send them any money. If for instance you as a host set your price as $100, and you really want to collect $100, you should set your price at $103 and Airbnb will take $3 and give you $100.
Thanks for clarifying this.
Will take it into account when offering a deal off airbnb to my hosts for longer stays.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:14 am

I travel for many years and many times I have booked accommodation through Airbnb and I have always had a positive experience. Last I was in Berlin with my friends and I booked an apartment in the city center and we were thrilled. Each had paid € 20 which is the same price we would paid if we decided to go in the hostel. I the apartment we were able to cook and do everything in the as if we were at home, which is great and definitely a better option than a hostel for me.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
AirBNB takes 3% of the host's money and approx 12% from the Guest.
So if the price is $100 the host gets $97. The Guest would have paid $112.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: QFF
Is it true that the site forces people to create profiles with lots of personal information and photos before it lets you book anything?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Well not lots of personal information. Think of it this way. If you were renting your home you would like to know a little about the person to whom you are renting. My profile contains a picture, a sentence about me containing a tiny bit of information, my Facebook page without access that is given to friends only. Oh, and a positive review from my last rental.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to positively identify yourself to Airbnb. But you don't have to give that information to the host that you are staying with. And you don't need to give them your Facebook. I don't even have Facebook.

A photo and a few words about yourself are nice. But what I really want to see as a host are good reviews of your previous stays. If the previous host said you were clean and polite and respected the rules (no smoking, etc.) then I am happy to accept you as a guest.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have arrived at 2 airbnb stays where the accommodation was clearly unacceptable. Airbnb asked for pics & a description of the issues, then they refunded me the full amount - or - agreed to book alternative accommodation.
got through to them immediately? saw some reports of not being able to reach airbnb.

is it possible to contact local (non-US) airbnb offices?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:56 am

A photo
My issue with photos is that I have a strong dislike and aversion to my current appearance to the point that it triggers depression to varying degrees whenever I see my face (gender related medical issues). As such, I avoid photos and reflective surfaces whenever possible.

While there are some photos of me around, they are very rare and I am unlikely to be recognizable in them. I do not make a habit of looking for said photos.
The formatting of the airbnb website and how/where it displays any profile image doesn't help either.

and a few words about yourself are nice.
I can never think of what to say for things like that.

But what I really want to see as a host are good reviews of your previous stays. If the previous host said you were clean and polite and respected the rules (no smoking, etc.) then I am happy to accept you as a guest.
So... you'll refuse someone who hasn't booked with airbnb before or otherwise has no reviews?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
My issue with photos is that I have a strong dislike and aversion to my current appearance to the point that it triggers depression to varying degrees whenever I see my face (gender related medical issues). As such, I avoid photos and reflective surfaces whenever possible.
You have lots of options. Some people take a photo with a hat and sunglasses on. Some have their head partially hiding behind their dog. Use your imagination.

So... you'll refuse someone who hasn't booked with airbnb before or otherwise has no reviews?
I will likely refuse if someone has bad reviews. If there is no review, I will use the information I have and make a decision. Recently I accepted a young guy who had no reviews, but listed a very good and difficult to gain acceptance university.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:05 am

You have lots of options. Some people take a photo with a hat and sunglasses on. Some have their head partially hiding behind their dog. Use your imagination.
I don't see those options lasting.
From airbnb help about this issue "we’re taking the additional step of notifying members whose profile photos don't include a face."
It appears that they are going through profiles and if a face is not visible, requiring that the photo be changed.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:13 am

I hade experience while on road trip in Portugal then Budapest and Vienna. Every country brings you kind of different way of communication. But people are same everywhere, so it's mostly the same quality. And some of them become your best friend, or just friends of on Facebook.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:16 am

I made a reservation for Curacao. It was accepted, but I could not get in touch with the host. No communication at all.
I made contact with Airbnb customer service, who also could not get in contact with the host. In the end airbnb gave me a full refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.