Any experience with Airbnb?

Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Originally Posted by milepig
Things are slowly happening. I don't know how all this works behind the scenes, but the owner is apparently in contact with airbnb and they've declared this to be an unavoidable event, and therefore the extenuating circumstance clause kicks in. My "case" has been forwarded from the airbnb help desk to the "customer assistance" team who will "work to provide additional assistance." The owner also indicated that he's "working on solutions". I have no idea what either of those statements mean, since if airbnb is accepting the extenuating circumstances clause as far as I can tell all they have to do is hit "refund". Normally the owner would be the one to process the cancellation, so maybe they are working on something for me, but it would be nice if airbnb would say something as simple more directive like "we're working on options, please don't book another unit until you've heard from us which will be withing 24 hours" or "we're processing the refund, you're on your own."

Seems that they can take your money within 5 seconds of making the reservation - getting a refund/cancellation, not so much.

The credit did come through. They gave me some extra credit if I wound up with a more expensive place, but in the end the one I have a request to book out for was pretty much the same cost as the original.
Yup, airbnb's customer service is almost non-existant. They give you the most obscure, non-helpful cryptic messages which don't really say anything. It's very very frustrating. I've had better luck talking to the Social Security Administration or IRS than I have with talking to airbnb's customer service. Why can't they be transparent and forthright when issues come up is beyond me. Instead they stonewall you. Imagine when you're a host and you have to deal with this several times a month.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
That's the problem. As the host, you should be prepared that something like this COULD happen. We handled it, but it was very frustrating that she was like "well I don't know what to tell you." Well, I know it's not a hotel, but I treat it like staying in someone's house. At said house, even if they didn't know a locksmith, they could look one up. What if I was alone with no phone? Know what I mean?
I think she was rude. She is a local and could have offered to look up a locksmith or do the translating or something. Absolutely. I will just say that as a very popular host I had to constantly remind guests that I am not an Aman Resort (to which every single one said "Huh?", then I'd chuckle and say, "I mean, I am not a Ritz Carlton") which caused awkward fidgeting from them. I'm offering you a clean, safe house, with all the amenities mentioned and I do my best to make your stay as nice and comfortable as possible. I found people want everything for nothing; or more accurately, they want a 5* resort experience for $130 a night. I used airbnb to try to see humans in a better light and realize they all aren't so bad and honestly, I left more jaded about the human condition than when I started. heh

To be clear, you did nothing wrong and she need not be an ...; other than saying it's 2am and she was caught off guard probably but she could have been more helpful. I'm sorry. I'm glad she paid the fee.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
It's better in that Airbnb has a global database of reviews. When someone attempts to make a reservation, I can see their entire review history, when they joined, how they got verified, etc. Most of my guests have good reviews, but some are a bit off.
very interesting, thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
My experience

Had a wonderful time at an Airbnb in Cancun (needed a few days quiet time and the airfare on award was cheap). Great host, very accommodating and arranged an airport pickup for a small extra fee paid in cash separately. She was great in arranging for any taxi rides as with almost any address in Cancun. It doesn't really mean anything... She even helped me order a pizza the one night as I had no clue how to tell them how to deliver it.

My boyfriend and I just booked a bigger place, more central for an actual vacation then a few hideout days... We've used Airbnb for gaps in a few other places but this was my first experience booking and going on my own.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question any places where airbnb pays taxes?

In Ontario, there is a lot of talk about leveling the playing field in terms of regulations viz-a-viz Uber. Evidently # US cities have already done so.

My question is what about airbnb? Hotel operators pay sales taxes and - in some circumstances - a Designated Marketing Fee (DMF). Has any jurisdiction imposed such fees on airbnb?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
In Ontario, there is a lot of talk about leveling the playing field in terms of regulations viz-a-viz Uber. Evidently # US cities have already done so.

My question is what about airbnb? Hotel operators pay sales taxes and - in some circumstances - a Designated Marketing Fee (DMF). Has any jurisdiction imposed such fees on airbnb?
The number one Airbnb destination is Paris and Airbnb does pay the Paris lodging tax. But not for the rest of France. http://www.france24.com/en/20150226-...-chesky-france
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Does anybody know how to get rid of airbnb's conversion fees? I tried searching all listings in host's currency, but once I get to the payment page airbnb changes it to my bank's currency and adds 3% conversion fee. But my CC issuing bank doesn't charge ANY conversion fees. So, I'd rather pay in host's currency but it seems that airbnb doesn't allow that.
Any idea how to get around this mandatory conversion fee?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by GREAKLY
Does anybody know how to get rid of airbnb's conversion fees? I tried searching all listings in host's currency, but once I get to the payment page airbnb changes it to my bank's currency and adds 3% conversion fee. But my CC issuing bank doesn't charge ANY conversion fees. So, I'd rather pay in host's currency but it seems that airbnb doesn't allow that.
Any idea how to get around this mandatory conversion fee?
If your search is in the host currency, when you get to the payment page, Airbnb will show the total in the host currency. There will be note below the total that states the charge will be in USD, but the amount listed in USD does *not* include the 3% fee. If you were to switch to USD and redo the booking, you'll notice the amount you would be charged includes the fee.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:59 am

I am 63 years old and looking at an option in Sedona. Anyone have any feedback there on going this route? Looks like it saves me about $40 nite.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
If your search is in the host currency, when you get to the payment page, Airbnb will show the total in the host currency. There will be note below the total that states the charge will be in USD, but the amount listed in USD does *not* include the 3% fee. If you were to switch to USD and redo the booking, you'll notice the amount you would be charged includes the fee.
If you search in the local currency the amount in USD still includes 3% conversion fee (if compared to mid-market rates on xe.com). But if you search in USD it's, actually, double than that.

Is there any way for me to pay in host's local currency and let my bank do the exchange? Is it legal for airbnb to force me to use their exchange option/service?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found a nasty twist in Airbnb policies. It's called their extenuating circumstances policy and there is one for hosts and one for guests. Basically either side can cancel reservation and override the cancellation policy if they have a good excuse. Even at the last minute.

I had a guy cancel his stay in my apt, at the last minute, and I was counting on that money. He said there was a death in the family. I have no way of verifying it of course, but if it is true that's a tough thing to happen. However I think Airbnb being the massively wealthy outfit that they are should take responsibility for this rather putting the financial burden on the hosts, or guests if it is the other way around. Buyer beware as they say. If you are a guest and you show up for your vacation and find the host isn't there to give you the key, due to a death in the family or some other such circumstance, you are just plain out of luck and and on your own. Another reason to stick with hotels.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Not to be cynical but a "death in the family" shouldn't be treated differently by another kind of impediment, thus falling in the related penalties.
On booking.com you're not refunded a non-refundable reservation for making a claim like that, and as an Airbnb guest only, I see the gamble the hosts are exposed.

What I'd like to see in the Airbnb 2.0 is a system differentiating the one-off customer from the very frequent ones or big spenders.
A tier system with few benefits and/or discount vouchers here and there would give Airbnb the edge over competitors.
Now it comes out often with higher price for the very same apartment compared to a booking.com Genius (-10%).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:47 am

I just found a nasty twist in Airbnb policies. It's called their extenuating circumstances policy and there is one for hosts and one for guests. Basically either side can cancel reservation and override the cancellation policy if they have a good excuse. Even at the last minute.
Could you please give us a link to the exact wording of this policy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GREAKLY
Could you please give us a link to the exact wording of this policy.
You just go to the cancellation help section, but here you go...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/25..._circumstances

You can see they didn't go to great lengths to explain how it works. That pretty much means they can do whatever they want.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
I think Airbnb being the massively wealthy outfit that they are should take responsibility for this rather putting the financial burden on the hosts, or guests if it is the other way around. Buyer beware as they say. If you are a guest and you show up for your vacation and find the host isn't there to give you the key, due to a death in the family or some other such circumstance, you are just plain out of luck and and on your own. Another reason to stick with hotels.
I have no issue with airbnb cancellation policies. None whatsoever. As you may be aware, many airbnb listings have no 3rd party authenticated reviews i.e. the guest who books at your place has to take (at face value) the reviews on the airbnb site!

I have arrived at 2 airbnb stays where the accommodation was clearly unacceptable. Airbnb asked for pics & a description of the issues, then they refunded me the full amount - or - agreed to book alternative accommodation. What you may not know is I was not invited/allowed to write a review. That is fair (TA allows reviews, even if you did not stay there.)

Any host who depends on AirBnb for income is bound to be disappointed. The fees you pay are substantial (3 %). I agree they are growing quickly, but what is your evidence they are "massively wealthy"? As a private for profit company, Airbnb is not req'd to provide SEC-standard financial statements. Recently, they delayed their IPO to pursue venture capital for expansion:

http://moneymorning.com/2015/06/19/a...ion-valuation/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.