Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Travelling for free! Possible?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Hey all!

Let's start it straight away - has anyone thought of travelling for free or atleast with a very less budget?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
easy....hitchhike & panhandle....takes some time, but at 0$/hr, quite cheap....have fun...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Owen Fry
Let's start it straight away - has anyone thought of travelling for free or at least with a very less budget?
How do you propose to travel for free?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Where are you leaving from and going to? Seems like you're going to run into some serious issues as soon as you hit an ocean you want to cross. You should check out the Budget Travel Forum here, there are many good tips for traveling for less (although not for free.) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...has anyone thought of travelling for free or atleast with a very less budget?
Yes.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:55 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Budget Travel Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:54 pm

Couch Surfing

You could Couch Surf and stay at people's homes for free(:
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
People haven't just thought about it, people have done it. Matador has an article on it, and here is a guy that did it for 400 days. Somewhere I came across a site of a guy who was travelling continuously without any cash.

I have personally met some people travelling on what I consider ridiculous budgets. I met a guy in Costa Rica who was trying to do $US 10 a day on average. he was camping, mostly, and had a fishing rod to catch his own dinner. I met him in Montezuma. He ended up trading a fish he caught with a camp ground owner in exchange for 5 days free camping, saving himself $10 ($2 a night camping fee, I believe).

Of course, with miles and points I have had a few trips where my only expense was taxes on the rewards tickets and food and beverage, but that probably isn't exactly the same thing.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Walk, run, or hike. LOL
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by gohan403
Walk, run, or hike. LOL
You left out swim.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
Hitchwiki has a lot of useful general and location-specific advice on hitchhiking, including an interactive map of places where people have tried hitching and reports of the results. In many parts of the world this is a great way to travel for free while seeing more and interacting with more people than one otherwise would when travelling. I've found it can be as fast as travelling by bus, and get you places buses don't go. (Even crossing an ocean isn't a dealbreaker if you're willing to hang around marinas for a few weeks offering to help sail/cook/etc, though I haven't tried this.) The associated Trashwiki might be useful for the "food and beverage" side of things, though it is much less extensive as yet (Hitchwiki itself occasionally has info on missionary food and the like). Couchsurfing of course has been discussed in this forum many times (though if you're hitchhiking you should also be prepared to camp in the middle of nowhere if necessary).

For a completely different approach to travelling free, Free Frequent Flyer Miles and Frugal Travel Guy (as well as the miles&points forums here at Flyertalk) provide advice on racking up thousands of frequent flyer miles and hotel points entirely through credit card offers and similar promotions. Sometimes just opening a checking account or making a single purchase with a new credit card yields enough miles for a free roundtrip flight.

Of course, neither of these approaches works perfectly reliably in all situations. I find it most effective and rewarding to combine the two, e.g. arriving in a city hitchhiking in the back of a pickup and departing on a business class award ticket (though I've never found hotel rooms to be worth the points or money compared to hostels/camping/couchsurfing). Even then, it's pretty difficult to NEVER spend money, but I've definitely travelled for much less than I would have spent if I had stayed home.

Last edited by lexande; Oct 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:42 am

I always do that. One is borned "free" and have free will. I don't see much things on earth are better than travel for free. But sometimes traveling for a lesser price or just half price is already quite enjoyable.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
You could Couch Surf and stay at people's homes for free(:
Great tip! But from where one can get about people who offer free staying at their home? Is there any website which lists them?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great tip! But from where one can get about people who offer free staying at their home? Is there any website which lists them?

See Post #11.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:23 am
Suspended

Question Anyone actually tried Couchsurfing?

Hs anyone in this forum actually tried couch surfing? I like the idea of it but obviously there are safety. I'd like to think i'd have the trust in humanity to give it a go but i'd like to hear some personal experiences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.