Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
You can walk from Funafuti Airport, Tuvalu (airport code FUN !) to any hotel or guest house on the atoll in ten minutes max.
Sounds like my kind of place. Just curious, do they have taxis?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by jbjelloid
Sounds like my kind of place. Just curious, do they have taxis?
There is one, yes. I saw it at the airport when the 3x a week flight arrived. Almost all other vehicles there are motorbikes. The one regular hotel in the whole country is on the lagoon beach, two blocks from where you get off the plane and through customs.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
You can walk from Funafuti Airport, Tuvalu (airport code FUN !) to any hotel or guest house on the atoll in ten minutes max.
Interestingly enough, the ever popular domain name .TV belongs to Tuvalu.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
SDU is really my favorite, a lovely airport and at walk.

Just to add one rarity, POR is only 2km from city center, only 20 mins walk. Boring city though

Another nice little place is LLA where you can walk to nice sandy natural beaches during summer FWIW. You may also walk into the city some 6km, but if you prefer 2km walk and then 2km swim, you can have a shortcut
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
but if you prefer 2km walk and then 2km swim, you can have a shortcut
Probably not a good idea if you have checked luggage @:-)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
TSA is right in the city of Taipei and still operates all domestic flights for Taipei and some international flights as well
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Added SJJ (Sarajevo) to the list yesterday. Quite a whimsical collection of apartment buildings en route.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:47 am
Suspended

Some walks from my recent trip:

Tashkent (TAS) is a really easy walk. 3km to the center, though partly depends where you're staying. Closest metro station is quite far away, but since you need local money it's difficult anyway.

Dushanbe (DYU) is pretty easy as well.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sarasota airport to downtown Sarasota is walkable, maybe about 3 1/2 - 4 miles. There is a sidewalk the whole way except getting from the terminal to the Main Street (University), right on University, left on North Tamiami Trail and about an hour you're there.

I have stayed at the Courtyard right across the street from the airport and have walked to and from the terminal.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:38 pm

Since I witnessed a VX go around at DAL today due to another VX plane taking off may as well update this airport.

Still walkable, but not recommended in summer except for days like today when it was cloudy and not hot (about 80 degrees F, VERY cool for Texas summer).

Thanks to WN's huge success free LoveLink "buses" were upgraded to short 37" real buses and are still FREE to ride FROM the airport, but you have to pay if you want to transfer to another bus or light rail at INWOOD / LOVE FIELD station.

Saw Mexican equivalent of our Air Force One again last week: 787-8 DreamLiner, as it was also a pleasant day for a walk even though I wasn't flying.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:14 pm

A couple of times when there were too many cars I just had the person dropping me off at LAX leave me at the end of 96th street and I would walk to LAX. A lot of people in their cars were giving me thumbs up(:

At San Jose airport I would ask to be dropped off at the shopping center across from SJC and I would have a Starbucks and then just walk to the terminals or get dropped off at Airport Blvd and Highway 87 and walk from there.

Would I walk more than I needed to? No Sometimes walking is necessary due to the long lines of cars and you may miss your flight.

I remember around 9/11 I would walk to the terminal and was not stopped. Once a patrolman asked to see my itinerary and I showed it to him and he said"What a wise move to walk I wish more people would walk into the airport".

Walking is a great way to plane spot too.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: Accor Le Club
Added BOM, LCY, MAA, ITM and TSA to the wiki post.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Spent some 40 minutes on a simple stroll downtown from HFT.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Nice thread, thanks for the idea. personally have walked to/from

SCQ (santiago de compostella). A bit far out of town 13-15km, but i figured i walked 800km to get there, what was 3 hours extra..

ZQN (queenstown) was a easy stroll 7km with great view, and by principal since even the bus was $12

RKV (reykjavik city) is a short 30 minutes walk to the city centre
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
A couple of months ago I attempted to walk to London Luton from Greenwich (where I was staying). It was partly because I love walking and partly because of a competition I was in with a friend. I only had a small day backpack so luggage wasn't an issue.

The total distance was nearly 70km and I planned to arrived in the evening, right on time for my flight.

I left around 10am and walked and walked. Around 7pm I made it into St Albans and decided to take the train for the rest of the way because I wouldn't have made it on time otherwise. After 52km, I was a bit tired too.

It was a very pleasant walk, I crossed most of London and some very picturesque countryside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.