Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
... but it seems so close? What a shame. When I was in Vegas in September I rented a car. Took the free shuttle to the rental car depot. There is no reason why you could not walk from there, but it is in exactly the opposite direction of the strip.
In other news, I was in Chiang Mai over the last couple weeks. Walked from CNX to Chiang Mai Gate. Took about 40 minutes with a stop for a cold drink along the way.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Amexpat
Walked to Copenhagen airport today, not to save money - the metro isn't expensive, but I had time and a light bag. It's only about 5k and is mostly through residential areas.
great walk. i did that last month today, but the metro WAS expensive... perhaps, our definition is different.

BTV is walkable too.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:41 pm

It's a bit of a walk (~30min) to the downtown plaza from CZM, but the 2min it takes to walk outside the airport grounds is the only way to get a regular taxi and avoid the overpriced shared taxi vans allowed at the airport.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:55 am

A few years back I walked the 3 miles from EAS (Hondarribia/San Sebastián) where I had just turned in a Spanish rental car, to Hendaye, where I was picking up a French car. A taxi driver quoted 20 Euros and it was 45 minutes until the Hendaye Avis office opened anyway, so I walked. An easy walk with sidewalks the whole way.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:09 pm

Schipol in Amsterdam you can hop on a 2.50 euro train for 5mins and be in the middle of Amsterdam.

Edit: the same ride on a taxi is about 50euro's
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Beside the obvious Nice and Las Vegas, I did the old Osaka airport once or twice on foot. Rotterdam is possble and so is Shanghai Hongqiao airport (for mostly domenstic Chinese flights)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:16 pm

Walked from the Chattanooga Airport to the Greyhound Station - less than 1/2 mile. Also walked from the Edmonds, WA Amtrak station to the Wa State Ferry in Edmonds - 1/4 mile!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Although there isn't much to see in Cincinnati, there is the Airport Express bus wich costs around $2 and takes you downtown in less than 10 minutes.

I walked to BRU once, pretty long 2 hour walk and got to F1 Hotel, took the shuttle from there.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: TK, ITA(!)
Pisa, Italy

A nice length 30 min or so walk.... through a residential and industrial areas, past what seemed like a glass crushing/recycling factory which was rather furiously chomping away on bottles! this gets you to the Hotel Galilei which is 5-10 mins from the airport, theres probably a more direct route though
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but in PHX you can transfer to the light rail for free. You can head to downtown PHX, Tempe-Mill Ave, or Scottsdale for $3.50
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: status-free
I've walked into town in St. John's, NL:
http://www.stjohnsairport.com/index/index.cfm

Takes just under an hour to the university, a shade longer to downtown. Don't try it in the winter; they don't shovel the sidewalks in St. John's and you'll have to walk in the road (seriously).

Of course, on weekdays you can walk 200 m to the left out the door of the airport and catch an hourly city bus into town ($2.25 instead of the $22.50 cab ride).
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by afterDawn

Other airports that ive found to be walk-friendly are

- Don Muang, Bangkok (DMG)
Where could you possibly walk to from Don Muang? And it's DMK.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
UBP in Thailand was a 20 min walk from my apt... which was nice because transportation options just didn't exist.

VTE, PKZ and LXG in Laos are also walking friendly.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I know what you mean about DMK. For me it's not really a great walking airport... especially with the heat. (Although anyone who walks from there is hardcore and certainly gets my seal of approval!) I might be able to make it to the RTAF Golf Course (a real treat when the planes are landing) or across the tollway to Don Muang rail station for a cheap ride to central Bangkok.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Vilnius Lithuania (VNO).
Walk out of the airport, a hotel to the left and a bus stop to take you to the city in the center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.