Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
How so? Wiki - Hawaiian for "fast". In this case it's a post that can quickly be edited by anyone who meets the 90d/90p criteria.
wiki - noun
"a website that allows collaborative editing of its content and structure by its users."

It's not a wiki, it's a stickied post at the top of this discussion.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:53 am

I have a condo at atrium, literally 5 minutes walk from billy bishop. Drop by next time, lol.

Anyway, how about a cheap way to get from the airport to the city.

I currently live in Bangkok and if you land during the skytrain operational hours (I think up to 11pm), the fare to the city is only 40 baht or $1.50 Canadian.

Even that beats walking.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by buddahas
I currently live in Bangkok and if you land during the skytrain operational hours (I think up to 11pm), the fare to the city is only 40 baht or $1.50 Canadian.

Even that beats walking.
The point is where you CAN walk from airport.

BKK is NOT one of those cities @:-)

For a while there was a midnight departure of ARL (not sure if that one still runs - oh, Airport Rail Link, has its own thread in Thailand forum), but I've taken 11:35ish departure many times.

Yes, quite a bargain ^
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, I walked to the main station from SIR airport with a group of people last Sunday. Now, Sion, Switzerland, is not a very likely place to be flying in and of but I flew on the new flight from Lugano to Sion with a German speaking group from another blog (VFT).

The trip took about 23 minutes and was not quite as bad as I thought it would be, given that it goes through industrial estates and along the main cantonal road. There is a sporadic bus service but not so often on Sundays, so it was quicker and easier to walk.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Why would you walk to the airport if you can take a local bus which often only costs several $? Except maybe in scandinavia where even a local bus is prohibitively expensive. Though I didnt walk from the airport I did walk from a very far away Norwegian train station to where I had to be there once, even though there was a local bus it was like 5 euros for a short ride, no thanks.

And small airports which often have limited local transport are generally too far off to walk. Good luck walking to NRN (Dusseldorf Weeze) or MST (Maastricht, Netherlands).

RTM (rotterdam, netherlands) is within walking distance from the metro station Meijersplein, though you can also take the shuttle bus there, or the local bus to the central station. EIN (eindhoven, netherlands) is too far to walk from anywhere near the city centre imo and you are better off just taking the shuttle bus. Or, very Dutch, bike there ! There is even a bike parking at the airport I believe. Very very Dutch ! Biking to AMS is a bit hard though I think it can be done (then again, better just take the plethora of local buses or the train).
EDIT: Really Dutch indeed: AMS even has a website dedicated to biking to the airport ! Not just to the terminal but also to spotting locations and various locations in the area. http://www.schiphol.nl/Reizigers/OpS...olPerFiets.htm

The only instance of walking to an airport in my environment was when a group of us walked to SDU from the nearest metro station (maybe a km or so, as SDU is right in the city centre of Rio). This was due to a cab strike. It's not something I would reccommend normally due to safety concerns and the fact that a cab is really not that expensive in Rio.

In 'poor' countries (well I have only been in Brazil which I would consider a 'poor' country) I generalyl just take a cab, since the busses are potentially dangerous. And I prefer to take the cabs which are monitored by the airport, or call my favourite cab company, rather than take a random cab which might rob me. In Europe, I always go for the local bus or other form of public transport, as cabs are generally too expensive. Now soon I will be going to Romania and I am not sure if the public transport is safe there, though I guess I'll just try it. It's probably not as bad there as in Brazil, even though Romania is not the richest country on earth by any means.

Last edited by Bakpapier; Jun 9, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by jbjelloid
Is that true? You can't walk into McCarran? If so, it's a shame cuz it's so close to the strip. Sorry you missed your flight.
At McCarren, you could walk to the car return and hop on the free shuttle into the terminal.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:01 am

I think the title is slightly misleading. Saving money is just parts of the aspect.

We all pay thousands of € per year for our airfares, some probably even in the tenthousands - shelling a few € for a bus or even a cab isn't bancrupting us in the slightest.

It's more like a "game", what can be done (or not) to reach an airport.

Also, sometimes it's good to walk a little bit just for sports - especially if there is good food awaiting in the lounge (or you got served way too much in the air )

But to add some airport:

BSL is walkable, but it's tricky.

There is one special road ("Swiss") leading to the airport from Basel itself. This is a fairly lengthy trip but can be walked (several km's!)

It's much shorter when you get to BSL from the French side, but there is about 200m of road which has a "pedestrian forbidden" sign - rather looks "intentional" not to have people walking to the airport, as just before it's all normal roads with pedestrian ways, and afterwards it's airport parking with all pedestrian access.

However, police doesn't seem to care much about people walking it.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I think the title is slightly misleading. Saving money is just parts of the aspect.

We all pay thousands of € per year for our airfares, some probably even in the tenthousands - shelling a few € for a bus or even a cab isn't bancrupting us in the slightest.

It's more like a "game", what can be done (or not) to reach an airport.

Also, sometimes it's good to walk a little bit just for sports - especially if there is good food awaiting in the lounge (or you got served way too much in the air )
Ah ok.

Well in Holland I think every single airport is walkable, because many airport employees will come there by bike and you can walk on any bike path even if there is no separate side walk. AMS is also used by locals as a large mall, to have something to eat while looking at the planes, and as an important train and bus station (I very frequently pass there even when not flying). But walking from AMS to the centre of amsterdam is gonna take a looong time

In other countries where biking is unheard of and walking long distances not very common (basically the rest of the world with only a few exceptions) I would never risk my life walking such long distances.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Another recent one from me:

IPC (Easter Island) - Pleasant 15-20 minute walk into the centre of town
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrissxb
Nice airport in France is very close to downtown France.
Nothing has changed recently.

From NCE arrivals, turn right and walk out (the way that cars are driving out). If you walk out to the Europcar car rental, you have gone too far "out" from the airport and not far enough "east" away from it, but no big deal — just exit via the parking lot.

Walk east onto a cycle path (running closely along the airport fence). Ignore the pedestrian sign which says that if you are going westbound beyond the airport you must cross at a pedestrian subway -- it doesn't refer to any part of the eastbound journey.

Follow the cycle path, which runs along a busy road (to the left) and the airport perimeter fence (to the right). Enjoy the views of small private jets through the fence. This busy road is labeled "Promenade des Anglais" on a map but it isn't the recognizable tourist attraction — not yet, anyway.

Nod and smile at the people walking towards the airport along the cycle path with their own rollaboard luggage, knowing that you share a hobby. This part (the cycle path) is largely shaded by palm trees.

After a little less than a mile walk, you'll make it to the beginning of the "real" Promenade des Anglais, the wide pedestrian walkway with rocky beaches and views of holidaymakers enjoying the ocean. Very hip, happening kind of place.

At any time, you can go one street over away from the ocean into a parallel avenue — which has no ocean view, and in some places more road construction, but also has more shops and more shade. If you're doing this walk in the summer from 12pm-4pm, you might want to stop and buy some sunscreen. There are plenty of grocery and convenience stores.

Follow the promenade (or other roads, your choice) along the water and you'll get to the city center, with easy access to most hotels, in just another 2-3 mile walk.

This walk does not give you a great feel for the lay of the land in the whole area; but it does develop some good familiarity with the specific part of the coast from the airport to Nice's city center. The Promenade des Anglais is kind of like Rio's Copacabana; a tiny bit less happening and a tiny bit more clean and expensive.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
In Thailand, one could walk to the moat in Chiang Mai (CNX) in 20-25 sweaty minutes.
I did it in 15' with a rolling carry on bag. A very pleasant stroll early in the morning, would be even better had it not been for the need to negotiate the curbs.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Should LCY be added since it is within the M25 Boundary? Just asking.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Should LCY be added since it is within the M25 Boundary? Just asking.
If you feel it should, go ahead and write about the route.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: FB, velib
Did some walk to BHD Belfast UK, ANR Antwerp Belgium, BVA Paris-Beauvais France (from Beauvais!)
Walking to airport I just love it!
Trip report (in french) ANR/LCY:
http://flight-report.com/fr/report/5...ANR_London_LCY

Last edited by oartois; Jul 12, 2016 at 4:54 am
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
You can walk from Funafuti Airport, Tuvalu (airport code FUN !) to any hotel or guest house on the atoll in ten minutes max.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.