Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by UltraRant
New walkable airports I tried (all in Norway):

BOO is just a 15 minute walk from the market street (Torget).
FRO is about 20 minutes walk to the main street (or 45 if you take the touristic route)
MOL is not as walker friendly as it looks at first. It took me over one hour, was almost hit by several cyclists (they drive like maniacs in Norway) and the final approach to the airport wasn't pedestrian friendly. I had to do some jaywalking on a very busy road.
RRS is basically built in the town center. It takes about 15 minutes to walk downtown.
BNN is sort of built around the airport.
And I'm guessing LYR (Longyearbyen) - Svalbard, is walkable too.

Planning a weekend next summer and it looks so close to the village.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump

I recommend you double check if this route is walkable. Not due to the distance, but due to the presence of polar bears. It's in fact not recommended to walk outside Longyearbyens town center without a gun or an armed guide. Each years still some people actually get attacked by these animals, which might be a lethal encounter...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump

Originally Posted by UltraRant
I recommend you double check if this route is walkable. Not due to the distance, but due to the presence of polar bears. It's in fact not recommended to walk outside Longyearbyens town center without a gun or an armed guide. Each years still some people actually get attacked by these animals, which might be a lethal encounter...
This is awesome. Let us know how it goes Forrest Bump!!^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
This is awesome. Let us know how it goes Forrest Bump!!^
Thanks for the warning.
Ain't gonna happen .
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:46 am

Key West. You can walk to the beach (if you want to call it that)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Just did SBA a few weeks ago. 10 minutes to the beach, 15 to UCSB.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: VAG
In my student days I once made a poor decision to walk (with suitcase and heavy shoulder bag) from Catania airport to Catania.

It's about 8km, and it's not a particularly pleasant walk -- the footpaths, such as they are, are not designed for people dragging suitcases. I had some reason at the time which seemed sensible, but I have no idea what it was.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Fan2502
You did the right choice Kid!

As a longtime resident of CM, I never had a brief look on the "sidewalks" going or coming from the airport. It goes so fast like you said.

Now I live 60km south in the middle of nowhere. Today I had a doctor's appointment at the RAM Hospital at the NW corner of the moat.

Coming from the airport I had a brief look, well, as brief as the chaotic traffic allows, but what I saw was anything but tempting. When you finally reach the SW corner of the moat alive, you can walk on the banks. But before the conditions are hazardous and you have to cross crazy roads a couple of times.

Maybe one day "surviving traffic in urban Thailand" becomes an Olymic discipline, but until then, take a taxi for 120 baht. Money well spent, even the distance is not a marathon.
What I usually do is walk from the airport to the central airport shopping mall, have lunch there and then take a songthaew to my hotel. It's a 10 minutes walk to the mall and the sidewalks are nice.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
So frustrating for me. I live a .88 mile walk from the CMH terminal as the crow flies, yet it is roughly 3.9 miles for me to walk there (with no sidewalks).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:33 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Presently at PNH, and it's hard to say what the sidewalks are like since we arrived at night, seemed like a straight shot. Supposed to be 8.8 Km, so 5 miles could be walkable right now at night when it's cool, but doubt I'll attempt it even with a midnight departure
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Norway has even more walkable airports than already mentioned. BDU and HOV (at least rsta, not so much Volda) can be added to the list. Also RET and LKN are extremely walkable.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Presently at PNH, and it's hard to say what the sidewalks are like since we arrived at night, seemed like a straight shot. Supposed to be 8.8 Km, so 5 miles could be walkable right now at night when it's cool, but doubt I'll attempt it even with a midnight departure
I wouldn't walk to PNH after dark! Apart from the crazy traffic and lack of sidewalks, it isn't the safest city in the world to walk around at night.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by valdor
I wouldn't walk to PNH after dark! Apart from the crazy traffic and lack of sidewalks, it isn't the safest city in the world to walk around at night.
So I've been told.

$7 tuk tuk was the way to go, and I rather enjoyed the madness of motos around me, rather than trying to dodge them.

And I did walk around after dark, but only in areas with plenty of people. All the while knowing those people probably wouldn't help me if trouble arose @:-)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:11 pm

So many bravehearts here oh boy..
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now that I came across this thread I see OP's point.

To share one experience: once at MUC, I arrived with rental car the evening before my morning flight. I checked into the HIX airport hotel which is some 5km away from MUC airport. The car rental period was over and I wanted to return the car during the evening and have some excercize, so I wanted to run back the hotel. Once dropped of the car, I found that it was nearly impossible to get out from MUC without a car! No walkway, just designed to get out by vehicles. Trying to find my way out alongside the traffic and all that, I found police cars coming after me. I don't know if they thought I might be a bomb freak or something, but they followed me quite a while but did not stop me, nor asked questions. Maybe they just wanted to see a crazy man.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.