Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:57 pm

Easy walk from Palm Springs Airport to different spots, but can get quite hot in the the summer
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
It's a 20 minute walk from BON into Kralendijk. Turn right out of the parking lot and follow the paved road into town. It'll save you the $11 dollar cab fare.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Walked to RAR the other day. Was going to take the bus, but they take an hour off at 1 PM on Sundays. Instead of calling for a taxi, I just walked about two miles or so. Really not that bad.

Chris
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:00 pm

YUL to downtown is definitely not walkable -- it would be about 4+ hours. But frustratingly it's actually not far from a bike path that runs along the waterfront. It's a very popular weekend to cycle or walk the length of that path from downtown down to Lachine.

Similarly I hear there's a bike path that goes right into HEL airport which would is great if you happen to already be in the suburbs where it is.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
IOM to Castletown is approx 2KM and easily walked.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:23 pm

I've walked from SYD to Wolli Creek station rather than take their overpriced AirportLink service.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
At San Jose SJC you can take the long term parking shuttle (free) and from the entrance to that parking lot, it's about a 20 minute walk to the Santa Clara University area - quite a few restaurants and parks nearby. Sometimes college sports events.

From the main terminal, you should be able to walk to a set of restaurants on Skyport Drive over the highway, in about 20 minutes. (Not sure if there are sidewalks since the renovation.)

From ALB Albany NY, you could walk to the beginning of the suburban Wolf Road shopping/eating district in about a half hour along a somewhat dangerous highway.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
I travel alot, but I am not wealthy. The only way I can afford to travel so much is by saving money wherever possible. This includes expensive taxi's and airport transfers. I am very interested to hear of places where I can visit and walk to the centre of the action. I'll start with a couple...
A brisk 20 minute walk from the Montego Bay Airport will have you on Gloucester Avenue aka "the Hip Strip".
A 10 minute walk from the terminal at the Denpasar Airport in Bali you'll be well along the busy and hotel filled road to Kuta Beach.
You can walk from the Billy Bishop Airport in Toronto to the central business district in less than 20 minutes.
Does anyone have other suggestions?
In a salute to naïveté, I walked from Bali's airport to the Intercontinental in Jimbaran at night. Half of the sidewalk existed, and when it didn't, the high beams of the motorbikes assisted.

After taking a van from Petra to Amman, I asked to get dropped off at the airport. Sure, ok, so they bartered the highway closest to the airport. I walked for about an hour, until the police made some local pick me up and take me the rest of the way.

I've done this in Shenzhen too, but it wasn't too painful. Heck, there's even a subway to the airport now, but I only walked to the airport because it wasn't too far from a good bumper car arena.

In Hong Kong, there's a nice walk to take from Citygate shopping centre in Tung Chung to the airport. You pass by the Ngong Ping cable car, and veer down a path where you can view the claziness that is HK residential living as well as planes doing their in-out, in-out thing. Yep, I wrote that.

I'm most proud of (and disturbed by) my walk from the Pluit toll gate to Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta Airport. 01FEB08, that was a hoot. I got to walk in sewage up to my waist for half the time, and the other half was IMO authentic bliss-darkness enveloped the tollway, it was just me, my backpack, a warm evening sky, and a cancelled flight.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
WAW is walkable, but I don't know if people want to do it. On foot, the airport is about an hour from my dormitory (near Pole Mokotowskie, just outside the city center), and the center proper should be about another 20-30 minutes on foot.

Some airports in the Philippines are walkable too: examples I can think of are MRQ (Marinduque), CGM (Camiguin) and even MPH (Malay/Boracay).

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I saw some bike paths near PRG.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:32 am

Just saw a VA captain walking from SYD airport to Mascot station instead of paying for the Station Access fee...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:58 pm

And therefore that's a reason not to walk?

There's risk everywhere...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I walked from The Strip to LAS last October (travelling with hand luggage only). As others have suggested, it's only 30-40 minutes or so although you feel quite exposed walking along Tropicana with the sun beating down, watching the hotels getting further and further away.

My worst walking experience was at Kota Kinabalu in March 2011. I hadn't realised there were two terminals on opposite sides of the runway beforehand, but with three hours between flights, and faced with what I considered a rip-off taxi price, I set out to walk. I nearly missed the second flight... it's a lot further than it looks and it was HOT!

Albuquerque looked walkable to me, although I was lucky and made the (infrequent on Saturdays) bus to downtown. I considered Guam walkable too from Google maps, but was told at the airport you weren't allowed to walk down the side of the road, so ended up taking a vastly overpriced taxi to K-Mart and walked from there.

Finally, if you're staying in the hotel area on the other side of the main road / railway line, you can easily walk to Tunis airport (done, and funny looks duly received from the locals).

Did I mention I hate taxis?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:28 pm

If I were ever connecting in SYD (for some funny unknown reason) and had to make the transit between T1 and T2/3 I would walk out the back of the International terminal and across Qantas Drive/Coward St rather than pay the ridiculous AirportLink surcharge...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I considered Guam walkable too from Google maps, but was told at the airport you weren't allowed to walk down the side of the road, so ended up taking a vastly overpriced taxi to K-Mart and walked from there.
I walked it a couple times without issue. Did you ask a taxi driver?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by SirJman
I walked it a couple times without issue. Did you ask a taxi driver?
Hahaha no! :P I asked at the airport information desk and they said that because there's no pavement all the way (this actually looked true) the police were on the lookout for people walking.

Currently considering whether Doha is walkable (depending on intensity of the sun).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.