Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Air Asia - Carryon Luggage Size Limit

Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

I am flying on Air Asia from Singapore to Langkawi this coming Friday. I am only bringing one carry-on luggage with me.

My luggage is within the weight limit of 7Kg. However, as for the size, the limit is 56cmx36cmx23cm. My carry-on is a tad bit bigger than the size limit. The height is around 58cm while the other dimensions are within the limit.

Is Air Asia strict on the size limit? Anyone has any experience with travelling with Air Asia.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:51 am

Hi viksh,

AirAsia rarely enforce strict size and weight restrictions from KL (out of over 20 flights, I have never had my bag measured or weighed at checkin, or at the gate).

I have also never had my bag measured, so 2cm is more than likely to go undetected.

Reminds me of wearing 10 sets of clothing at once at VTE airport, which was the only time they weighed my bag and realised it was 15kg instead of 7 ;-)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:54 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
I agree

I've flown with Air Asia umpteen times a year including this month.

HAVE had my cabin baggage weighed (and particularly since they started to charge more for checked-in luggage).

HAVE NEVER had my baggage measure nor seen anyone challenged.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Stephann
Hi viksh,

AirAsia rarely enforce strict size and weight restrictions from KL (out of over 20 flights, I have never had my bag measured or weighed at checkin, or at the gate).

I have also never had my bag measured, so 2cm is more than likely to go undetected.

Reminds me of wearing 10 sets of clothing at once at VTE airport, which was the only time they weighed my bag and realised it was 15kg instead of 7 ;-)
Last flight I had with Air Asia from KL they enforced weight very much - was over the limit just by 1kg, and they wanted to have me pay for it (hand luggage, it is) - of course I could take something off, wear it, than later stuff it back in, but they do enforce the weight on the very kilogramm.

Size, I never saw them checking. So you should be fine.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I have noticed that too, Air Asia let me fly even though my backpack was rather bulgy and somewhat over the limit... just try not to show it off too much around check in and you should be OK.

I've flown Kuala Lumpur Langkawi and Penang Kuala Lumpur and no problems on either one of those segments.... from Penang I even went stand-by as I got to the airport early, and was very pleasantly surprised with Air Asia.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:41 pm

How close to the departure can I add baggage online on AirAsia.com?

Hey,

I don't know yet how much stuff we will have. Do you think I can logon to AirAsia.com like a day before my flight and add the necessary baggage amount?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:37 pm
Suspended

air asia

Hi xakep
did youget an answer to your question?
i have a similar problem
rohit
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How strict is Air Asia for carryon items on flights out of BKK and PNH?
Also, what are their charges for excess carryon baggage? Can Priority Pass members access their lounges before traveling on Air Asia flights out of BKK? or does Air Asia leave from a low-cost terminal?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jun 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Beware, in my last few flights with them in the past week, they have been cracking down on cabin bag sizes and weights, and don't budge at all - 7.1kg means something has to leave. They seem to be targetting the small suitcases more than backpacks.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: World Perks Southwest Frontier
Carry on and supersize on Air Asia?

I'm not quite sure after looking at their web site what the limits are on Air Asia for both 1. Carry ons and 2. Checked luggage....

Also, does a carry on include everything or does it exclude like a backpack or personal item? I assume one can take a backpack under 7.1 kg and then pay the "checked supersize" charge for a suitcase...and one is charge based on weight..

Can someone help me with this? I"ll be flying from BKK to Bali...

Thanks...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:11 pm

There are many ways to reduce weight in your carry-on if they weigh it at the counter. For example:

- Load heavier items like iPod, phone, camera into all your pockets
- Wear any clothing that you have in your carry-on
- If travelling with someone else, check in separately and have them look after a few of your heavy items eg. laptop and then swap when they check in
- In smaller airports I have even taken my laptop out of the bag, put it under a seat by the check-in desk and then checked in without it in my bag
- At a rural airport I also left some items hidden in the bushes outside!
- If you drive a car to the airport, leave your laptop/heavy items in the car and then go back to collect them afterwards
- If you have lounge access (for AirAsia this would be the small landside lounge at KUL LCCT) you can check into the lounge and leave your bag with the attendant for a few moments while checking in
- Charm the check-in person. If you know there's no other way to remove the weight you can admit you think it's too heavy before they weigh it and usually they'll be nicer about it

Good luck!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:25 pm

My experience is that if you are paying for a checked bag already, they do not weigh the carry-on.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have to agree with earlier posters that the airline is very strict with carry-on...Overhead bins are EMPTY, and there should be little concern for safety since many bags can and do fit underneath a seat. Bags can become heavy with books, paperwork, electronic equipment, and computers (although the airline is more lenient with the latter). Anyway, agents do have some leniency as to how many kilos over they charge you (they will often reduce it if you show a concerted effort to be nice and follow their requests), but you will still have to pay.

At least a dozen pax showed up at the gate with more than 7 kilos (very easy if you have a few books, camera, and laptop), and they were hilariously asked to unpack in front of everyone (where they stuffed items into their pockets and then put them back into carryons before boarding). As much as people grumble, 7kgs is too small of a carry-on restriction.

Air Asia's fares are low enough that this type of greedy upselling is tolerable, but budget travelers should beware.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by nutternet
There are many ways to reduce weight in your carry-on if they weigh it at the counter.
Some ideas are quite interesting
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's ridiculous is that they seem fine with you putting heavy items in your pockets to reduce the weight! They must know youre simply going to move them back to the bag later.

FYI-Some airports allow laptops and electronic equipment to be removed before calculating weight and others do not.

While Air Asia is certainly the cheapest airline in terms of price (which is why so many people fly with them), I never once had a problem-free checkin experience with them on the past ten flights I flew with them this past month whether it was nonexistent checkin counters or agents who were meticulous to the last pound. I soon learned the ropes and they still found some way to create a snag!

I will find it hard to fly with them again unless I have the opportunity to leave carryon luggage behind at a hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.