Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Travelling to India and Poland in November - Suggestions for cheap fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

So I have to fly to Warsaw for a conference late November(I'm from New York). However, this also means that I have to fly to India to apply for a US visa and other formalities. Here are some travel options that I am considering.

1. Fly RT NYC to any South Indian airport like BLR, MUM, MAA, COK and then have my firm pay for business class round trip from NYC to WAW. This is more expensive and more time consuming than my second option.

2. Fly OW from NYC to India (BLR, MUM, MAA or COK) and then have my firm pay for Business Class tickets from BLR to WAW.

Since the firm is paying for the business class fares, I don't really care how much they cost but I am looking to minimize the amount that I pay out of pocket.

Right now the cheapest fare I can find on Kayak.com is $688 on Gulfair from JFK to MAA but the flight is a whopping 38ish hours because it includes a 24 hour stopover in London. Do you have any recommendations for other sites I should be looking at? Expedia, Orbitz and Farecompare have all given me the same fares. The 24 hour layover in London is not necessarily a bad thing( It would give me the opportunity to check London out for a few hours) but if I can get a cheaper ticket, I'd rather book that.

Also, does it make sense to wait until Late Tue/Early Wed to book my tickets? Is there any chance the prices could drop then?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, And I am looking to fly to India around the 9th or 10th of November.

Last edited by NYCIndian; Oct 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reason: Updates
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have (or can you get) any miles on AA or UA, and redeem for a one-way to India?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

No, I don't have any UA miles. What do you mean by 'get' UA miles? Did you mean by signing up for a credit card or something like that? If that's what you meant, then no, I can't get UA miles.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Looking for Cheap Tix NYC to Poland - Nov 24 - Dec 1

This is for a friend of mine - She is looking for RT cheap tickets to Poland from NYC or nearby for Nov 24 - Dec 1 +/- 1 day. There was an AerLingus fare last week for $245 RT that we are kicking ourselves for missing (Our travel plans weren't confirmed at that time. ). Do you guys have any other ideas? They need not necessarily be round trips and she is willing to fly a circuitious(sp?) route if the tickets are cheaper than the ~$800 that they are right now. We have searched the usual suspects (Kayak, Expedia, Cheapoair)

As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: DL FO, A-Club Silver
You really saw $245 to WAW? That is hard to believe, but I did get lucky earlier this year on a JFK-WAW for $373. I just went to Warsaw in August again, and the tickets were about $1200, so here's what I did: I flew instead roundtrip to Berlin for only $600, and then took the Berlin-Warszawa Express train (about 5 hours) to Warszawa Centralny, would this be an option for your friend? The train is only about 40 Euros each way, you stand to save several hundred dollars!

Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Exclamation Threads merged

NYCIndian,

please do not start new threads on similar topics, especially since this is a fare request, as per sticky in this forum, they are not allowed.

Now we've relaxed the rules informally, but you will most likely find that folks won't help much if you haven't shown that you've done your homework and did some research on your own.

Having said that, welcome to FlyerTalk

EmailKid,

Budget Travel moderator
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

EmailKid - Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Cityslicker444 - NYC-BER vs NYC-WAW is only about $150 cheaper RT so it may just be easier to fly to WAW instead. Frankfurt isn't cheaper either. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.