Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

The "Emergency Call Button" of Spirit Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Chairmans, National Executive, Spirit Elite, Virgin Silver, United Premier

This morning I flew Spirit Airlines from LGA to DTW and at the end of the safety announcements the f/a announced "We are going to be dimming the lights in the cabin, for your comfort you will find a light and an air vent above your seat, and A EMERGENCY CALL BUTTON" which seems to mean that they aren't interested in having to come around to the passengers, rather the button is there only FOR EMERGENCIES! Has anyone else seen that?

I also recall that two weeks ago on a different Spirit Flight (LAX-DTW), someone pressed the call button about an hour into the flight, and the button stayed on until the end of the flight, as no f/a came over...

BUT, I must say that I really enjoy Spirit Flights as they are extremely cheap (I paid 80 for this r/t) and they leave/come on time.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: FREE SPIRIT, WORLDPERKS, SKYMILES
That certainly is not a company announcement!! Nor is it acceptable, and yes I have heard that announcement myself, I have NEVER made that annnouncement and i NEVER will. I'm going to look up and see who that crew was HAHA. I have worked here for several years and it was never in our announcements to say that. However it seems that some very senior F/As have said that in their announcements, possible it "USED" to be an announcement years ago, but it is no longer

The not answering the call button is simply unacceptable. We are trained that we need to answer a call bell immediately because it could be a medical emergency

Im sorry you've had some crappy F/As on your flights.....that crap wouldnt fly on my flights!!!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by NK_Flyer
That certainly is not a company announcement!! Nor is it acceptable, and yes I have heard that announcement myself, I have NEVER made that annnouncement and i NEVER will. I'm going to look up and see who that crew was HAHA. I have worked here for several years and it was never in our announcements to say that. However it seems that some very senior F/As have said that in their announcements, possible it "USED" to be an announcement years ago, but it is no longer

The not answering the call button is simply unacceptable. We are trained that we need to answer a call bell immediately because it could be a medical emergency

Im sorry you've had some crappy F/As on your flights.....that crap wouldnt fly on my flights!!!
That's reassuring to hear from you, NK_Flyer! I hope NK will give GSP some serious consideration as a destination, or origin for some leisure routes. I know they got burned at CAE, but GSP is a completely different animal. We still have a robust local economy, and are a rapidly growing metro area. We also have some of the highest airfares in the country, so any LCC who entered this market would realize fantastic results, I'm sure!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:37 am

Programs: FREE SPIRIT, WORLDPERKS, SKYMILES
I wish we would go to GSP! Any new market is a good thing. Sadly I think that any new domestic destinations will be few and far between. Most new destinations will probably be central/south america.

We do have some great people working here. The thing is we are an Ultra Low Cost Carrier, so the base fare is low and you pay for everthing else. A lot of people are ok with that and we have a lot of repeat customers. Some dont like that and cant believe they have to pay for everything, they say they will never fly us again...until their next trip. I can only speak for myself but we dont always agree with what the company wants us to do, but we do it anyway...hey at least we have a job, a lot of people in this industry have lost their jobs, and I dont want to lose mine! I love my job!! And yes we are limited with what we can do for the customer but we give 200% to try to give the customer the best possible travel experience
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by NK_Flyer
I wish we would go to GSP! Any new market is a good thing. Sadly I think that any new domestic destinations will be few and far between. Most new destinations will probably be central/south america.

We do have some great people working here. The thing is we are an Ultra Low Cost Carrier, so the base fare is low and you pay for everthing else. A lot of people are ok with that and we have a lot of repeat customers. Some dont like that and cant believe they have to pay for everything, they say they will never fly us again...until their next trip. I can only speak for myself but we dont always agree with what the company wants us to do, but we do it anyway...hey at least we have a job, a lot of people in this industry have lost their jobs, and I dont want to lose mine! I love my job!! And yes we are limited with what we can do for the customer but we give 200% to try to give the customer the best possible travel experience
The GSP market is used to that model - G4 has been serving GSP for a couple years now, and has recently added a 4th destination. I think, given a non-Florida destination, GSP would support NK service. Don't know if NK is looking at adding point-to-point routes, but LAS or LGA would probably do well. Possibly even FLL, if marketed as a cheap gateway to S. America.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think the Spirit FAs generally do well under very stressful circumstances. Sometimes they overdo the drill-sergeant bit on the loudspeaker (i.e. without visible cause), and one time I heard the "We're here, now beat it" announcement because apparently the plane had a quick turnaround.

I tend to set the bar very low on expectations, as I have flown other ULCCs (like Air Asia and Tiger Airways and now Allegiant-see my recent Trip Report there) quite a bit. Am also a real bottom-fisher on the fare sales, being lucky enough to have flexibility to bend the work schedules.

I do sense a real cynicism on the part of upper management at Spirit. They obviously don't take any customer threats to switch carriers very seriously, believing price is king. The recent $9.80 "passenger usage fee" masquerading as a tax really takes the cake. I guess adding $5 per leg to the sale fares was just too straightforward.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC
I think the Spirit FAs generally do well under very stressful circumstances. Sometimes they overdo the drill-sergeant bit on the loudspeaker (i.e. without visible cause), and one time I heard the "We're here, now beat it" announcement because apparently the plane had a quick turnaround.

I tend to set the bar very low on expectations, as I have flown other ULCCs (like Air Asia and Tiger Airways and now Allegiant-see my recent Trip Report there) quite a bit. Am also a real bottom-fisher on the fare sales, being lucky enough to have flexibility to bend the work schedules.

I do sense a real cynicism on the part of upper management at Spirit. They obviously don't take any customer threats to switch carriers very seriously, believing price is king. The recent $9.80 "passenger usage fee" masquerading as a tax really takes the cake. I guess adding $5 per leg to the sale fares was just too straightforward.
I have to agree there - ALL airlines need to just adjust their fares, so the fare you find in a search is the TOTAL amount you pay - like it used to be. Add-on fees are a real turnoff. Yes - I think it's OK to charge extra for food/beverage, or even entertainment: ONCE YOU'RE IN THE AIR. But, things that should be part and parcel of the travel experience shouldn't cost extra. (I also think retailers should work sales taxes into prices quoted, so you know immediately what "price" you're paying - they do it in Europe, and it works like a charm).
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
I chuckled as I remembered this thread and heard the same announcement on Saturday and Monday on my RT of FLL-MDE. But the crew was throughout the cabin more than enough. I think it would be different if the crew hid in the entire flight and basically made that announcement to avoid any contact.

Actually I have to say the crew on those flights was fantastic. Even check in was organized and friendly, though long waits. I was really pleased with my overall experience on this trip. The big front seat was pretty nice, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.