Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Caution to FreeSpirit members thinking of signing up for $9 Fare Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Ever since signing up for the $9 Fare Club when logged into my FreeSpirit account, I'm unable to edit passenger one's name when making an award redemption using miles. The name is pre-filled with the FreeSpirt account holders name. To the right, there is an asterisk stating the name is pre-filled as I'm a $9 Fare Club Member and to log out if purchasing a ticket for others. This poses a huge issue if your trying to book an award ticket for someone else using your miles. Just wanted to give the heads up.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:04 am

I just experienced this too. The language in their T&C doesn't help clarify the matter, at least not for me.

"FREE SPIRIT members can redeem Award Tickets in another person's name, although Award Travel may only be ticketed by the member whose name is on the FREE SPIRIT account."

I kind of assume this means the person who owns the account has to purchase the ticket for the other party. But that doesn't seem to be what's going on at the the website.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I fired off a letter to Spirit so I'll keep you posted. I'm understanding the T&C to mean that the FreeSpirit account holder should have the ability to redeem tickets for the account owner or others. Obviously, this isn't the current case via the website when purchasing a single award ticket.

I was able to book an award ticket in my name (pre-filled) and call and have the name changed. This is hardly a work around though as it took 50 minutes on hold, numerous transfers, and is likely dependent on the customer service rep you get.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Seems odd, maybe a bug. I don't believe the $9FC gives you access to any award seats not available to the general public. If you're a cardholder then you can get access to off-peak awards as low as 5K RT, and I know they make you charge any taxes or fees for those awards to a Spirit MasterCard (otherwise the computer won't accept it). They may be very protective there, but I don't think the standard awards are really great shakes compared to the legacies...mile differences are slight and of course you get charge-for-everything with Spirit whereas with legacies that part isn't quite as bad. Anyone who can keep lots of miles active without being a cardholder deserves to not have too much hassle in redeeming at standard level.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

After weeks, no resolution to this matter has been reached. I've reached out to web customer service as well as the Executive Office who just forwarded my letter back to web customer service to reply. Especially aggravating because I often stick up for Spirit and their business model. Their final reply read:

"As previously stated, our $9 Fare Club members aren't able to book a reservation for anyone under their account unless they are traveling with them. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding."

At the very least, prior to signing up for the $9 Fare Club, I should've been notified this would restrict my ability to book award tickets for others.

Last edited by Ctrix65513; Mar 27, 2015 at 4:09 pm Reason: -
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Galapas have you had any better luck/found a solution?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:49 pm

yup

As of 7/2/2015 this is still the case. I cannot book a flight for my wife using miles. WTH.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Wait, so you'd be able to book an award ticket for someone else if you weren't a $9FC member, but since you are, you can't?

I understand not being able to buy someone else a ticket using your $9FC special pricing, but award tickets cost the same number of miles regardless, eh? That's weird.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
Wait, so you'd be able to book an award ticket for someone else if you weren't a $9FC member, but since you are, you can't?
That is absolutely correct and I've been going back and forth with the Spirit Executive Office for months. Becoming a $9 Fare Club Member restricts the ability to edit passenger ones name even on award bookings.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ctrix65513
That is absolutely correct and I've been going back and forth with the Spirit Executive Office for months. Becoming a $9 Fare Club Member restricts the ability to edit passenger ones name even on award bookings.
What about making a reward booking via phone? Is that possible?

Maybe at the airport counter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.