Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Allegiant - will they cancel return portion of trip?

Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

My sister-in-law booked a flight on Allegiant xxx-LAS-xxx departing Sept 8 and returning Sept 11. She has a screen shot of her booking but when the confirmation email came, the segments were reversed so it was now LAS-xxx-LAS for the same dates.

She read the email the following day and when she called, the agent said that, as she was beyond the 24 hour mark, she was out of luck. Even after sending in the screen shot and speaking to a supervisor, explaining that she clearly lives in xxx and that would obviously be her originating city, they would not fix it for her.

Her only option was to move the entire trip forward by three days so she could use the 'return' xxx-LAS portion as the outbound and buy a new one way ticket LAS-xxx on Sept. 15 to get home.

I told her that, because she would be a no-show on the outbound (first leg), the return would be automatically cancelled. She called back and spoke to the same supervisor who assured her that wouldn't happen and that "Allegiant doesn't do that" because 'do you know how many people miss their flights home from Vegas?" . She got the supe's name and badge number but, despite assurances that this wouldn't happen and notes were put on her file, we both still fully expect that her reservation on Sept. 11 will be cancelled due to her no showing on Sept. 8.

She will call on Sept. 8 after the flight departs (without her) to see if the second leg is still intact. Her reservation is still showing as a RT on the website.

Any experience with this? Is Allegiant truly not like other airlines and does not auto cancel for a no show on the first segment? I find it hard to believe but the supervisor was adamant that it wouldn't happen. Any advice on what else she can do at this point?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Enquiring minds, and all that .. how'd things work out?

In hindsight .. I might have changed the 'return' reservation *later*, and re-purchased the earlier outbound -- just to duck that cancellation scenario.

/.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty

In hindsight .. I might have changed the 'return' reservation *later*, and re-purchased the earlier outbound -- just to duck that cancellation scenario.

/.
I kept checking her res after the non-flown outbound on the 8th and it was still showing intact. She flew out on Sept. 11 (I was out of town myself) and I haven't heard from her so I am guessing she made it down. Just sent her an email so I'll report back once I have the details on what happened when she showed up at the airport. She was prepared for a fight if they did, in fact, cancel it so I'm not surprised she got on the plane. The question is how much of a stink did she have to raise?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty

/.
And good thought on changing the 'return' but I'm not sure that Allegiant allows changes. Do they? I'm sure she would have tried that as she had to push back the entire trip to a less convenient date and change hotels, etc. so she would have been happier doing what you suggested. I have never flown them and never will. Nor will she from now on. Too many other options.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Ok, in case anyone wants to know whether Allegiant does, in fact, cancel subsequent legs after no-showing on the outbound, the answer is no. They said they don't care if the flights are flown in sequence and don't cancel return legs.

With one data point here, what they say is true. I spoke to my sister-in-law today as she was boarding her return flight (the one way she had to buy separately). She said she did OLCI from home the day before the 'outbound', which was technically the return portion as she did not fly the ticketed outbound flight. No problem. Showed up at the airport, checked a bag, boarded and flew and no one said a thing. She actually asked an agent about it today as she was boarding her flight home and this agent also said they don't cancel returns when the outbounds are missed. Go figure!

So it all ended well, other than being out the cost of the original outbound and the other changes she had to make. And she has sworn off Allegiant for life now.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks for the updates, good to know if I ever decide to fly them (they don't sereve DFW/DAL)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Finkface
Ok, in case anyone wants to know whether Allegiant does, in fact, cancel subsequent legs after no-showing on the outbound, the answer is no. They said they don't care if the flights are flown in sequence and don't cancel return legs.
Thank you so much for posting this. I just got an inquiry from a family member and this helped a lot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.