Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Duty-Free Alcohol + Lit Cigarette = Sunwing Flight Disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty-Free Alcohol + Lit Cigarette = Sunwing Flight Disruption

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stimpy
The Commander in Chief is in charge. And you obviously missed the part where I said the "next President" too. This isn't about democrats versus republicans. And I stand by my retarded comment. These are not clear thinking people in charge.
Ah, so you were aware of all the other information these people had that wasn't disclosed in this CBC report?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:00 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by FLgrr
There is no way to know what the trouble is doing until,the plane is on the ground. If they want to do something, a fighter jet is not going to stop them. The pilots need to stay in the cockpit, not come out to intercede.
The fighter jets are in constant contact with the flight crew, have given them instructions to follow a very specific flight path and if the plane deviates from that flight path, they will make sure nothing smaller than a toothpick makes it to the ground.

SO yes, a fighter jet will stop them from doing more damage (than just the plane and its passengers) if they do gain access to the cockpit
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The Commander in Chief is in charge. And you obviously missed the part where I said the "next President" too. This isn't about democrats versus republicans. And I stand by my retarded comment. These are not clear thinking people in charge.
I agree wholeheartedly, but perhaps it would ruffle fewer feathers if our wonderful leaders were referred to as mentally challenged or differently-abled.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I agree wholeheartedly, but perhaps it would ruffle fewer feathers if our wonderful leaders were referred to as mentally challenged or differently-abled.
I'm not the politically correct type in most matters, but having had a couple of developmentally disabled family members who were mercilessly bullied, I find the word he originally used repellent.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Again you didn't read my post. Especially where I acknowledged Canada. But Norad is both the US and Canada and the same thing has happened countless times in the US. Doesn't everyone know this? Which was the point of my post.

OK, truce. I still think this is a purely military matter. Your idea that the citizenry should rise up and challenge the President over incidents like these seems misplaced, but I'll grant that both nations are overly obsessed with security since 9/11 at the occasional expense of common sense.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Apparently I don't read well. I missed the explanation that describes them as being two drunk prostitutes.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
I'm not the politically correct type in most matters, but having had a couple of developmentally disabled family members who were mercilessly bullied, I find the word he originally used repellent.
A few of the municipalities around Vancouver were caught a little whiles back spreading chicken manure around some of the areas where homeless people congregated. Chicken manure is foul-stinking, and will certainly drive away anybody with a working sense of smell. But those people are still homeless. They still wander the cities - nothing is improved.

The Harvard psychologist and linguist Steven Pinker once used the term "euphemism treadmill" to refer to the trend of a euphemism becoming offensive, so a new euphemism is adopted instead. This continues onwards and onwards, not because the new word is magically offensive as well, but because the subject matter lends itself to being used as an offence or jab. That's why school kids even use the word "special" as an insult. A motion to replace the word won't do a single bit of good for as long as the stigmas and prejudices remain.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:48 am
B1

The only way someone legally has access to a private alcohol stash is by buying it a duty-free. A bottle of booze would not make it through security and bring-along would have to be in checked baggage. If there is a ban on liquids through security, it should be a simple matter to ban duty-free alcohol on board. The passengers involved had been drinking their stash from the duty-free shop and the crew was not in control. There is no need for duty-free alcohol to be sold at airports for placement inside cabins.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:05 am

The common denominator seems to be the alcohol. I have seen people many times take large DF bags to the restrooms, even seen people open the DF bags and pour themselves a drink whilst seated and ask the FA for a mixer and ice! DF alcohol should be picked up upon arrival (like excess baggage), not handed to you when boarding. I fly LAX-AKL a lot and turn around on that flight would be a major hassel/expense. The more control a FA has on alcohol consumption on their flight the better I would imagine-just a thought.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
On topic

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
If you had stayed on topic, you would not have offended others with your offence.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The first reply goes all OMNI/PR political, the thread goes into rapid descent with offensive words, stereotypes and characterizations, ad hominem and personal exchanges that are entirely too personal.

That's exactly how to stick a fork in a thread, so this is done.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.