Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8,000 free Spirit miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
8,000 free Spirit miles

http://www.hatethousandmiles.com/
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Spirit Airlines Hugs the Haters, Giving Away One Billion Miles

In trying to show a new side of itself and change some of the negative feelings flyers have towards the airline, Spirit is giving away 1 billion free miles to those who feel that they have been wronged by the airline in the past.

Former customers can tell the airline about both their negative and positive experiences. In return they'll receive 8,000 miles.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...266224461.html

If you want to watch a video featuring a few of the hate Tweets Spirit's gotten: http://youtu.be/lgps922k6Hk

Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
She would rather eat broken glass than fly Sprit, but secretly she fantasized about 8000 Spirit miles. I just don't see it. If I heard it on a sitcom I would question the writing.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Well to be fair, the screen lets you hate on any airline, not just Spirit.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:01 pm

Good Promo by Spirit

Hey, I think it's a unique way to reach out to people - It's a bit like Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" segments.

They're owning up to the fact there is a lot of hate out there, and trying to make something positive out of it. And with how much people love to complain, I'm betting the billion miles go pretty quickly.

Overall, I think it's a good promo by Spirit.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In for 2 x 8000.

Luv those free magazines/newspapers redemptions.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Alright, I gotta admit, not a bad promo and some good publicity. Spirit's not bad for a short hop.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
It was just pointed out to me that the dates in the T&Cs on the site and the dates in the press release don't match.

On the site...

In the press release...

Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I've only had one experience with Spirit (LAS-PHL) and the flight itself wasn't bad, it was just all the hidden/confusing/suspect rules that resulted in higher charges. The overall cost was fine, but the stress of not knowing what you might do that would result in extra charges was enough to keep me from flying them again.

I think it is the main reason why WN, although providing the same basic features, is so popular. It's easy.

Anyway, I'll give them a go again if they have changed their ways.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I really do admire that they don't try to make themselves something they aren't.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
I really do admire that they don't try to make themselves something they aren't.
If only they were actually something. Their base fares aren't really that good (at least EVERY single time I have looked into booking them), as much or more than a real airline with the ancillary fees added in, non-reclining seats with brutal pitch and abysmal customer service on a good day.

It's only when you fly a real LLC/ULLC (AirAsia, Tiger Airways, RyanAir) that you realize what a poor facsimile they are of a low cost carrier. If they actually delivered value, I'd be happy to fly them.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RyanAir!?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
FYI the free miles seem to expire in 3 months w/o earning miles. (note it specifically says earn and not activity so I am not sure buying a mag sub would keep them alive)

For a sample I could fly southwest and come out ahead for the same general itinerary. (and I didn't have to leave on a 1 am flight.) But free miles are free

Last edited by kklems; Jul 8, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
RyanAir!?
RyanAir is an awful airline but they are very inexpensive. It's not uncommon to find fares in the $40 range each way for 3 hour flights.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:08 pm

If you have the credit card this is essentially 3 one way off-peak flights. Can't wait til I get them in my account. They probably give so many away since most people don't keep them active and they expire. My story was about how AA changed their redemption with 0 notice. UA/DL both gave customers notice before changes.

I don't see why people complain, if you buy the tickets through them, they clearly state all the charges (baggage fee, seat selection, etc) before you finish buying your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.