Spirit Air's Big Front Seats

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:56 pm

Most spirit flights have relatively empty overhead space since it's cheaper than check baggage. FAs won't care if you put carryon up there.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by trigleek
If you have a BFS bulkhead seat, where can you put your personal item? Or do you have to pay extra $$$ to put it overhead?
They will store it for you free of charge in the overhead bin.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Thank you very much for your responses! I have a spirit flight on Saturday evening and the BFS was just $25 extra so after reading your responses I opted to take advantage of this deal!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:03 am

Just responded to your inquiry of yesterday under the trip report forum
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:28 pm

Trigleek please post after your trip...hoping it goes well and the BFS are worth it
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
The BFS are worth it. I prefer the second row as the bulkhead slightly reduces legroom.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Skittles8450
Trigleek please post after your trip...hoping it goes well and the BFS are worth it
Trip in BFS was definitely worth it! For $25 more, I got seat 1A. I was in priority boarding 2 but for Spirit Airlines, it really doesn't matter which boarding group you're in since there are no battles for overhead bin space. Seriously, I've never seen so many empty overhead space! Wow!

I had my personal item with me and I placed it right in front of me when I sat down. After kindly asking the FA about it, she took it from me (it weighed 8-10 pounds) and put it up on the overhead bin for me! Now that's service!

It's definitely a no frills airline and all they want to do is literally get you from point A to point B in a safe manner.

Practically every passenger brought their own snacks/food/drink and yes, they do charge for water ($3/bottle)!

For short weekend getaways, I wouldn't mind flying Spirit Airlines again. In the middle of the flight, their credit card machine broke down so the people who had already bought food/drink before got those for free (FA's are not allowed to accept cash from passengers.)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:44 pm

Glad your flight went well and the seats are worth it...ours are 50.00 each but thats ok with me. My flight with all add ons is still cheaper than other flights. What was the size of your personal item and did they measure it? Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:50 pm

Glad your flight went well and the seats are worth it...ours are 50.00 each but thats ok with me. My flight with all add ons is still cheaper than other flights. What was the size of your personal item and did they measure it? Thanks
Nope they didn't measure it at all. Since it cost $10 to print the boarding pass at the airport gate agent, I printed my boarding pass at home. I didn't check-in anything so no need to go to the gate agent. I went straight to security and then to the gate.

During boarding, I was surprised to see Spirit not measuring the "personal items". My personal item is a leather laptop bag (was in Chicago for only 2 days) so I had 1 change of clothes in it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

We have to print our passes at the airport unless Harrahs LV does it since we are only flying spirit home. We did pay for 1 bag each so will have to check that. We are both going to have a personal item also. Still reading spirit horror stories so thank you for your update it puts my mind at ease.....i hope our flight goes as smooth as yours
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:17 pm

We have to print our passes at the airport unless Harrahs LV does it since we are only flying spirit home. We did pay for 1 bag each so will have to check that. We are both going to have a personal item also. Still reading spirit horror stories so thank you for your update it puts my mind at ease.....i hope our flight goes as smooth as yours
you can always print your boarding passes for free at the airport kiosk in front of Spirit. They charge you $10 for the AGENT to print them at the check-in desk.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks for that info....we were not sure if you could do that at Las Vegas..we have never been there before so was hoping someone would confirm that
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
BFS is great. It's a domestic first without free food and booze. The most expensive one way upgrade costs $75, the cheapest I found was $25. Here are a few things to consider.

1. If you're willing to chance it, the BFS might be cheaper at the gate, and even cheaper on board (provided it's still available), however,

2. The A320 has only 4 seats, while A319 has 10. I wouldn't chance it for a longer flight on 320.

3. If you don't want to splurge $75 for a BFS, you can spend much less on an emergency exit seat, that has extra space like Economy Comfort. When I flew in it last time, it did recline, but I don't remember if it was 320 or 319.

I have just completed a Gaming Spirit series on my blog. This post deals with upgrading to BFS among other things.

The Definitive Guide to Gaming Spirit. Part 3: Tips and Tricks
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I've caved in and paid for BFSs for the two of us traveling from TPA-ACY tomorrow. I tried so hard not to but in the end couldn't resist. Only problem is that there's none available on the Sunday return.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
1. If you're willing to chance it, the BFS might be cheaper at the gate, and even cheaper on board (provided it's still available)
Hi! FT Newbie here and first-time Spirit flyer (next weekend). How likely is the BFS to be still available on the day of the flight, and how much cheaper will it be (do you think)? I'm flying the A319 from DFW to SJD at 7am on a Saturday morning. I'm not a big girl, but I'm just about 5'9" and it's a 2.5 hour flight. Right now the seats show a $50 fee per flight, and I don't know if it's worth it to upgrade!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.