Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit to begin PHL service in April

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spirit to begin PHL service in April

Spirit announced they will fly one PHL-DFW flight beginning in April.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/190...illy-to-dallas

For those who haven't yet flown Spirit, I can confirm that it's unpleasant. But not horrible. Everyone, including me, apparently has their price -- at least if they're paying for their own ticket.

I suspect US may match some or all of Spirit's PHL fares. They pretty much did this on Spirit's DCA-FLL flight. (Spirit recently decided to move that flight to BWI.) So I would look for some PHL-DFW bargains next year. I see Spirit is currently offering a sub-$40 one-way fare on some flights in that market, but it's only good on 1 flight a week (they will start with 4 and go daily by summer).

Frankly, from a business perspective, this seems like a horrible market for Spirit to enter. Spirit's business is leisure travel. Folks travelling on a business trip (and that's probably most folks travelling between PHL and DFW) won't fly them. I certainly wouldn't. So what's the point? This DFW expansion strikes me as, perhaps, the beginning of the end for them. We'll see.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
US Airways will be big pissed on Spirit. This will not happening. It will get more tougher competition against US & AA out of PHL. Give it chance to get some more competition.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
For those who haven't yet flown Spirit, I can confirm that it's unpleasant. But not horrible. Everyone, including me, apparently has their price -- at least if they're paying for their own ticket.
Well, count me as one you won't find on them.

Originally Posted by iahphx
I suspect US may match some or all of Spirit's PHL fares. They pretty much did this on Spirit's DCA-FLL flight. (Spirit recently decided to move that flight to BWI.) So I would look for some PHL-DFW bargains next year. I see Spirit is currently offering a sub-$40 one-way fare on some flights in that market, but it's only good on 1 flight a week (they will start with 4 and go daily by summer).

Frankly, from a business perspective, this seems like a horrible market for Spirit to enter. Spirit's business is leisure travel. Folks travelling on a business trip (and that's probably most folks travelling between PHL and DFW) won't fly them. I certainly wouldn't. So what's the point? This DFW expansion strikes me as, perhaps, the beginning of the end for them. We'll see.
Unless there are more announcements coming, they're opening a station with just one (eventually daily) flight. That seems odd - certainly no economies of scale. With AA and US on this route, it'll be a tough slog for NK.

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't go for ACY-DFW instead, though ACY may be weaker for them than I think.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Unless there are more announcements coming, they're opening a station with just one (eventually daily) flight. That seems odd - certainly no economies of scale. With AA and US on this route, it'll be a tough slog for NK.
DFW-IAH is scheduled to start in the next few months, so the groundstaff at DFW will work that route too.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Well, count me as one you won't find on them.

Unless there are more announcements coming, they're opening a station with just one (eventually daily) flight. That seems odd - certainly no economies of scale.
I suspect that NK will outsource nearly everything except a station manager and maybe a couple of agents. They'll pay per flight for everything else.

Jim
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services
I think I would rather take Amtrak to DFW from PHL then Spirit!

But, competition is never a bad thing, so hopefully this will be positive to all - lower fares on US to stay competitive, and a good bargain for leisure travelers who wish to brave Spirit Airlines...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I love this if it drives down US fares to DFW. I'll never fly Spirit, but I'm all for benefiting from their ridiculous* business model.

*Yes, I understand it somewhat works, I just dislike it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I love this if it drives down US fares to DFW. I'll never fly Spirit, but I'm all for benefiting from their ridiculous* business model.

*Yes, I understand it somewhat works, I just dislike it.
That is what people in DTW and DCA said. Learn from history!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
For shorter flights, ACY to Orlando, or PHL to MCO when I am in need are just fine on Spirit. Prices are great when you can get round trip all in under $100. Are you in sardine class? Sure... but the upgrades to the Big Front Seat are pretty nice and cheap.

Having Spirit come to PHL, and expanding to other major airports is welcome news, as no doubt it will place competition on the legacy carriers and others.

Tell you what, no matter how much hate people give Spirit.... they are one of the more profitable airlines out there, with a stock price going up. lol.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I guess if WN entry to the PHL market didn't kill US, Spirit entry will not kill US, either...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
I guess if WN entry to the PHL market didn't kill US, Spirit entry will not kill US, either...
I am certain that US is not quaking in its boots about Spirit's DFW-PHL flight.

I also suspect they are waiting for this airline to self-destruct. It would seem like Spirit is indeed following the self-destruction playbook. These new DFW flights make no sense for them.

I think US is hurt more in Philly by Virgin's transcon flights. In case you don't know, Virgin is bleeding money, and will likely have to take dramatic steps to avoid bankruptcy next year. But, in the meantime, they offer a product travellers would actually want to fly (unlike Spirit), and I am sure they are depressing US's yields on the transcons.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I wonder when someone will get aggressive and try to commence service out of ILG - as an alternative to PHL.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by ITRADE
I wonder when someone will get aggressive and try to commence service out of ILG - as an alternative to PHL.
That would be aggressive as (I think) there isn't commercial service at ILG. If I remember correctly, I wanted to try a DL commuter flight out of ILG a dozen years ago but there was no overnight parking at the airport.

It would be an interesting case, though.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I flew Spirit once (R/T). We took the entire extended family of 19 people (I think three might have been lap children) from LGA-DTW for a relative's wedding for under $1,000 total. At that price I was totally happy with the service and would do it again if I had the opportunity.
That was however, before they started charging for carry-on bags. It was a commical site to see all the little kids in my family tugging their roller boards through the airport.

For business travel paid by someone else, I have never taken Spirit and don't expect to (for numerous reasons), but there might be enough leisure travel for them to do allright.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitburgr
That would be aggressive as (I think) there isn't commercial service at ILG. If I remember correctly, I wanted to try a DL commuter flight out of ILG a dozen years ago but there was no overnight parking at the airport.

It would be an interesting case, though.
I live near ILG and took DL between ILG and ATL when it was offered, and parked in the lot for a few nights -- for free -- without a problem.

I loved it. They didn't even open up the security line to get to the gate until 30 minutes before departure. So just pull up to the parking lot 32 minutes before your flight and you were golden.

Flights were about $50-$100 more than PHL but well worth it. Was sad to see it go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.