Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Allegiant Closes Counter 45 minutes before Departure Leaving Lots Stranded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:01 am
jyh
Original Poster

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...text|FRONTPAGE

Our country is rapidly becoming third world in search of cheap service for cheap products. That is not how this country was built. It use to be that your money was worth something in travel.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jyh

Our country is rapidly becoming third world in search of cheap service for cheap products. That is not how this country was built. It use to be that your money was worth something in travel.
Sure it is! Our forefathers only went to war to get out of paying the stamp tax
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:10 am

This airline is a real piece of work!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by jyh

From Allegiant's Website:
Bolding Mine
Regarding ONCI Passengers may check in online from 24 hours to 1 hour before their scheduled departure time. Passengers with baggage to check may check-in online and then proceed to the Baggage Check counter when they arrive at the airport. Please note that all baggage must be checked-in at least 1 hour prior to departure.
What time should I arrive at the airport for my flight?
Allegiant recommends arriving at the airport at least two (2) hours prior to scheduled departure. Customers need to be checked in no less than 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure which is when the ticket counter closes.
Maybe I missed something in the article, but were the,"stranded" passengers there two hours prior to departure? It is my guess they were not.

I have regularly flown out of two small stations for both UA and US, (CKB and SWF, respectively), and these airlines both have the same OR similar policy (30 minutes prior, howeve)

In CKB, one doesn't clear security until boarding time, so there is always one or two passengers who miss the flight.

Last edited by kwildnj; Jan 14, 2012 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jyh

Actually it is how this country was built. The individual has the freedom to select a sevice and what level that service is provided. This is what today allows the masses to fly, at what level of service they choose, and allows markets such as these to have nonstop service to Las Vegas. The alternative is to have government dicate service, only the wealthy can fly (as was prior 1970's), and limited service with no inovation.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
LeBlanc said the counter closed about an hour and five minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave.

Allegiant spokeswoman Jessica Wheeler said it is the airline's policy to close its ticket counters 45 minutes before the departure time. Wheeler said the Lafayette counter closed around 8:58 p.m. Thursday, or about 30 minutes before the flight was set to leave
Somebody's lying, err... mistaken. Should we start a poll as to which of the above statements is accurate ?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MrMan
Actually it is how this country was built. The individual has the freedom to select a sevice and what level that service is provided. This is what today allows the masses to fly, at what level of service they choose, and allows markets such as these to have nonstop service to Las Vegas. The alternative is to have government dicate service, only the wealthy can fly (as was prior 1970's), and limited service with no inovation.
Yup. In a free market you have a choice, and you get what you pay for. Maybe now these angry passengers will figure out why their Vegas tickets cost $59 while DL, AA, etc. charge much more. Allegant doesn't employ any extra staff.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Facts + Chances We Take

1. You get what you pay for. Allegiant saves a ton of money by moving counter agents out to the ramp to load the luggage and other tasks. Those savings translate into lower fares.

2. Allegiant recomends arrival at the airport 2 hours before scheduled departure. Few people other than kettles do that anymore on purpose, but it's a risk we all take. I know that I can leave my office 60 minutes before scheduled departure on the USS xDCA and be onboard and settled in well before departure. But, it's my risk and the couple of times that circumstances have combined to make me late, I'm delayed an hour until the next flight. I wouldn't do this on a 3x/weekly TPAC.

3. People make choices. I don't like the entire Allegiant concept, but there are apparently enough folks out there who do to keep it flying. This is America and it's just fine with me that others travel differently than I do. It's not for me to criticize their travel (and spending) habits any more than I ought to criticize someone who chooses McDonald's over a 4-star restaurant.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the appropriate airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:57 am

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part".....
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Or in FT-speak, "Everyone expects a RTW in F fully changeable/refundable for US$49 and for the aircraft to wait for them to be ready at each segment."
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
There is no reason to leave behind at ticket counter. Those passengers who haven't received the boarding pass or checked bags. Why they cutoff time requirements? 45 minutes is not a real specific time. Must be reduced the bag cutoff time requirement is least 30 minutes before departed flight. Some airports who does not have 45 minutes before departed flight.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
There is no reason to leave behind at ticket counter. Those passengers who haven't received the boarding pass or checked bags. Why the bag requirement cutoff time? 45 minutes is not a real specific time. Must be reduced the bag cutoff time requirement is least 30 minutes before departed flight. Some airports who does not have 45 minutes before departed flight.
As usual, I cannnot understand your post, at all, so ezcuse me if my answer does not address it correctly.

I quite clear on Alligeant's website that passengers should arrive twohours prior to departure, and that they must be checked in 45 (bag or no bag) no later than 45
minutes in advance of their flight. (See my earlier post)

Honestly, an airline could require you to arrive 12 hours early, and be checked in 11 hours beforehand, its upto the airline. Its also up to a passenger to read and be aware of policies before puchasing a ticket.

So...why does Alligeant cutoff checkin at 45 minutes?

Because the same agents that check you in also guide the inbound plane into the gate,, clean it, unload/load the baggage, and guide it back from the gate, etc. Alligeant runs with a slender staff at their outstations to save money. It appears they aerve this particular airport with a single flight two or three times a week, and thats it.

Also, without seeing some proof from a passenger (ie cellphone records/photo with timestamp, I must side with the Airline on this one.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MrMan
The alternative is to have government dicate service, only the wealthy can fly (as was prior 1970's), and limited service with no inovation.
I agree with your statement except for the "no innovation". Actually, pre-deregulation, US carriers were known for their innovations in safety and in-flight service as well as in the computerized reservations systems. AA's SABRE and UA's APOLLO reservations systems were gold standards for the worldwide airline industry.

Obviously, the US airline industry has turned into a mass "bus" system for the masses over the past 30 years.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Anyone else find this comment extremely bizarre?
Allegiant spokeswoman Jessica Wheeler said
"We made every effort to contact the flight crew and hold the plane, however, we were unable to do so,"
Um, the airline doesn't even know how to contact its own planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.